boat lift bunks

You really only have 6 pressure points on the lift. Those are where the supports which go to the frame. The boards are strictly guides and runners. I have looked at several at our marina and most are not even touching the boards 2 feet from the pressure points. Mine has (2) 2x12 on each pontoon but it is a 24 foot length. That is why they moved the bolts back 2 feet, to center the distribution of weight. Also the side arms had to be detached and turned over to make the lift accommodate the tri toon compared to the v hull.

We'll be buying a QX so I'm wondering if the flat boards will support that much weight as opposed to using brackets in a V shape.
I'm sure the v shape with brackets would be a better option.

I agree with Joeb14...all you really need is three 2x10s or 2x12s, one under and parallel with each toon. It sounds like the manufacturer is saying that if you bought 4 more of what you already have for bunks, you could have a small v-bunk under each toon. That would work obviously, but you could do it yourself for less than $100.

From my research on treated lumber, I learned that the older method for treating lumber using arsenic, etc was not safe to use against aluminum. There are a couple newer treatments that are safe...one of those is MCA (micronized copper azole). Make sure you check the labels on the end of the boards before buying. In my case, Home Depot carried these but Lowes did not (theirs were CA-C treated which isn't as good with aluminum apparently). Good luck...post a pic when finished.

Last edited:
Just as a follow up, I spoke with the lift company, Hydro Hoist. He said their bunks are made of a galvanized steel channel with a pressure treated board inserted into it. He said they are very heavy.
He also said if I could lift the boat by the deck I would save a lot of money.

I spoke with Bennington about that or about lifting boards laid flat and the engineers said no to both. They want a V on each side of the pontoon.

I think I'm going to order the brackets for my lift to make the V and use pressure treated Home Depot wood wrapped in marine grade carpet.

Back