Boat Lift recommendations please

Very interesting discussion.  I too am in talks with a couple lift dealers for a new lift.  I currently have a 4000# Shorestation that I used with my old deck boat.  I have on order a RCW 2375 (SPS Package) F200.

The Shorestation dealer tells me my current lift will probably work fine and they could convert it for my new Benny by adding the pontoon racks I would also need a new (28')) canopy structure and vinyl to cover the pontoon.

The Porta Dock dealer suggests I go to the 5000# lift (no surprise).  He thinks that to be safe I should go to the haevier lift.  If I have a few people, full tank of gas and a couple coolers on board I might push the limits of the boat.  He might have a point or he might just be trying to sell a lift.

Both are willing to move my lift motor from my old lift to my new one and both would be willing to give me about $4000 in trade for my old lift. 

My questions are;

1) Do you think I will benefit from the 5000# lift or should I just keep my 4000# and convert it?  Not sure what weight to expect from my new boat fully loaded.  Am I better off safe than sorry or will 4000# easily be fine for my boat needs?

2) Is $4000 a fair trade in price for my 2007 Shorestation lift?

3) Tom do you have any cost information on that canopy you have.  I was really impressed with that.  I looks like it convers and protects very well.

4) Shorestation or Porta Dock?  BIG difference in quality and price.

Thanks for all of your help.  You guys have been incredibly helpful.  i read this forum every night and my wife thinks I'm having an online affair.  If she only knew the dreams I've been having about my new boat on order!!

Very interesting discussion.  I too am in talks with a couple lift dealers for a new lift.  I currently have a 4000# Shorestation that I used with my old deck boat.  I have on order a RCW 2375 (SPS Package) F200.

The Shorestation dealer tells me my current lift will probably work fine and they could convert it for my new Benny by adding the pontoon racks I would also need a new (28')) canopy structure and vinyl to cover the pontoon.

The Porta Dock dealer suggests I go to the 5000# lift (no surprise).  He thinks that to be safe I should go to the haevier lift.  If I have a few people, full tank of gas and a couple coolers on board I might push the limits of the boat.  He might have a point or he might just be trying to sell a lift.

Both are willing to move my lift motor from my old lift to my new one and both would be willing to give me about $4000 in trade for my old lift. 

My questions are;

1) Do you think I will benefit from the 5000# lift or should I just keep my 4000# and convert it?  Not sure what weight to expect from my new boat fully loaded.  Am I better off safe than sorry or will 4000# easily be fine for my boat needs?

2) Is $4000 a fair trade in price for my 2007 Shorestation lift?

3) Tom do you have any cost information on that canopy you have.  I was really impressed with that.  I looks like it convers and protects very well.

4) Shorestation or Porta Dock?  BIG difference in quality and price.

Thanks for all of your help.  You guys have been incredibly helpful.  i read this forum every night and my wife thinks I'm having an online affair.  If she only knew the dreams I've been having about my new boat on order!!
There is no way I'd put a 2375 R on a 4000# lift, even a Shorestation which is quite robust. As I think I mentioned earlier, the 6000# has an extra long cradle which for a pontoon where you walk on the entire deck front to back, unlike a glass boat, is an important factor IMHO. I haven't seen the 5000 yet but I assume it's great as well. I have the pontoon cradle with side bolsters, but I may switch to the new flared ones this year.

Resale on good quality lifts like SS are quite strong where we are, so ask around. I think I got $4k for a 15 year old Hewitt with canopy and motor.

I can email you my invoice with costs if you want to pm me your address.

I had a look at the new ShoreStation SSV 50132L which is a 5000# lift designed for larger pontoons. The cradle is actually 14' long (L version), with 15' poly bunks now (vs 14'). It's 11' wide (vs 10') and has the option of the new flared entry side guides called GlideRails. This is a really nice looking setup, and looks perfect for pontoons. Well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at a boat show and the Shorelander rep is here, did anyone have a question for him? Hehe

Do they offer a pontoon rack with flared ends to help entry?

What do you mean by flared ends? I just angles my load guides.

Sorry the pdf of it is too big to link here and I can't find a pic. As you enter the lift the side guides are wider at the entry and taper back to a narrower width the rest of the way.

The "pontoon rack" can't be adjusted like that. The load guide is tied to the bunks. Move guides, you move bunks.

He said it would be their new tandem bunk setup with glideRail load guides

I've had my heart set on a Shorestation lift, but this picture concerns me.

Does this reflect the current Shorestation canopy?  It seems like the newer canopy frames are a little deeper.  Tom?

I've had my heart set on a Shorestation lift, but this picture concerns me.

Does this reflect the current Shorestation canopy?  It seems like the newer canopy frames are a little deeper.  Tom?
I always said the same thing after watching them for years. The frame is the same and very solid, but mine has small chains and straps on the sides of the canopy itself and never does anything like that. It DOES have some give in it, which SS says is the intent of their design to keep it from getting picked up by a gust. In other words, they do this on purpose and consider it an advantage. 

Well, I'm about to finalize a deal for a lift.

Shorestation 50120 Hydraulic lift (5000lb)

-30'x120" canopy

-Shorestation canopy - I can't justify the upgrade to the Sunbrella canopy that Tom has.  I'd love to, but it is a $1500 upgrade over the shorestation one.

-Free solar panel

-Includes two wireless remotes

-Pontoon log rack (they said I would have difficulties with separate flared guides because of the 120" lift - vertical post get in way .  The new guides are for the 132" lift)

-Center support for center log

-Battery box (I need to buy battery)

-No motor stop.  Said that motor would not hit it because of the pontoon racks lift boat above motor stop.  Tom does yours work?

50120 hydraulic lift (comes with center supports)- $7250

Log Rack - $895

Canopy - $2550

$10695 + tax

This is a cash and carry price.  The best price for assembly, delivery and installation has been $3K-$4K more!  It just is not worth it to me.

It will be a challenge to install (they are very heavy at 870lbs no canopy).  I plan on designing and building 2 - 4'x6' (using 2 - 3x4 dock floats = 2000lbs buoyancy) floating platforms with hand winches that I can hook to the bottom cross members at front and back.  With the lift in highest position, I'll be able to float the platform over the cross member and hook cables around cross members under water.  I can then winch the lift off the bottom of the lake on both ends and float out to end of dock or back in to shore.  *should* work great and cost much less than $3K that only gets me one install.

Very nice!

I can't believe they charge $3k for assembly and delivery. I priced mine against the online sellers and they were within a couple hundred bucks at the time. That sounds like a LOT of work to put it in and out, but you're right, it is a heavy beast to move. My dealer brings mine to the lake and installs it (with a hydraulic rig on a pontoon boat), takes it out in the fall, and stores it 15 miles away in the winter, all for about $250 each year round trip.

Fyi, I've seen some creative DIY guys here share industrial salvage (air) float bags to move them in deeper water themselves, then use a set of wheels and an ATV to roll them up the beach for storage.

Very nice!

I can't believe they charge $3k for assembly and delivery. I priced mine against the online sellers and they were within a couple hundred bucks at the time. That sounds like a LOT of work to put it in and out, but you're right, it is a heavy beast to move. My dealer brings mine to the lake and installs it (with a hydraulic rig on a pontoon boat), takes it out in the fall, and stores it 15 miles away in the winter, all for about $250 each year round trip.

Fyi, I've seen some creative DIY guys here share industrial salvage (air) float bags to move them in deeper water themselves, then use a set of wheels and an ATV to roll them up the beach for storage.
They don't tell you that it is $3K install, but it's how it works out.  For example, one outfit came in about 14K before taxes installed.  I asked how much for cash and carry and they were going to give me a $250 credit (assemble, haul 30mi and install).  Of course I wouldn't pass on the $250 service.  Truth is though - that they are making a TON on the lift itself.  The place I bought from is biggest SS dealer in MN and price is GREAT.

I may end up doing what you do.  I'm getting too old to be putting equip in and pulling it out every year.  Will be paying someone to do it soon!

Bumping this topic, as it seems OP ended up with a 30' canopy for his 2350.

I have a 2375 coming, total length a bit over 25'.  My existing 24' canopy ins't going to cover it, and I have been looking into upgrading to a 28'. 

Do you think 3' is enough cushion, or should I be pricing 30' canopies instead?

I have a 28 and it is pretty tight with my boat. I'd go 30 if you can.

boat%20liftsmall_zpsst5ecn6g.jpg

You should get the 30' canopy.  The motor sticks back there quite a bit.  30' fits my boat perfectly.

Bumping this topic, as it seems OP ended up with a 30' canopy for his 2350.

I have a 2375 coming, total length a bit over 25'.  My existing 24' canopy ins't going to cover it, and I have been looking into upgrading to a 28'. 

Do you think 3' is enough cushion, or should I be pricing 30' canopies instead?

Ours is a 2275, but my Shorestation dealer recommended 30' as the Verado takes up another 3' off the back of the deck by itself, so a total of ~27' on mine. We have probably ~3' to spare where I can't reach the back corner zipper on the canopy while standing on the aft deck. He also said on a 6,000# if you ever want to sell it buyers, might have a 25'+ boat to put on it or you could choose to upgrade ( though I won't).

/gallery/album_224/gallery_1431_224_39309.jpg

Back