Boat Lifts Lift from the toons or from the deck?

Big Tasty

Reaction score
Am looking to purchase a new lift for my 23 foot Bennington. Can't seem to get a good answer from Bennington. I have chosen a Shore Station brand of lift but can't seem to decide between the toonrail which lifts the boat out of the water by the deck or the double bunk option which will lift the boat out of the water by pushing up on the toons. Anyone have a toonrail system? How do you like it? would you choose it again? Do you notice the toons pulling away from the deck because of their weight?

I have a Hewitt lift, and use the under deck system to lift tritoon. Works fine, the toons aren’t pulling away from the deck. Lifting from the deck allows you to use the lift in shallower water.

Am looking to purchase a new lift for my 23 foot Bennington. Can't seem to get a good answer from Bennington. I have chosen a Shore Station brand of lift but can't seem to decide between the toonrail which lifts the boat out of the water by the deck or the double bunk option which will lift the boat out of the water by pushing up on the toons. Anyone have a toonrail system? How do you like it? would you choose it again? Do you notice the toons pulling away from the deck because of their weight?
Big Tasty (cool nick name) I do have the ShoreStation Toon rail system, it is Bennington approved and by my Dealer also. It works in any depth of water( I'm in about 3 ft.) We have a 24' Tritoon with a 150 Yamaha and if you get close to lift the Toon rail system will guide you right on with the motor stop to stop you.I would recommend it to a friend ! No issues with Toons.I installed it myself and made an adjustment on the height while in the Lake. Get It !

Thanks Just checking to make sure there were no issues with the weight of the toons affecting the deck.

I would repeat Illinois’s comments. Love the toon rails. I talked to Bennington folks and had separate email exchange and both confirmed (along with my dealer), the toon rail system was an approved way to lift boat. Set up well, you don’t need outside guides, the toon rails get you lined up well. I did not put on the motor stop ( I just don’t like the idea of relying on a motor stop, as too fast an approach, or too high in the water and it could mess something up...but that’s just me. I’ve never liked the idea).

Our street has 6 pontoons on last count, ranging from 20 to 25 feet. The oldest being about 12years old. Every one has a lift that lifts from under the deck. No one has had an issue. Not all Benningtons, so that shows even the cheaper models can withstand the under deck lift!

EE54C23A-B27A-4BA2-B381-266B0183E257.png

I ran across the above post while looking through past screenshots. Thought I’d post it. We had this same decision to make when we redid our lift. We ultimately went with the under toon lifts, have been very pleased with them.

Looks like the water level is pretty low there on Castle Rock!

We have a craftlander lift. Here are a few pictures I just took of the bunk set up. As you can see, its the style that supports each toon in a cradle. It works well for us other than our shallow water issues with this set up.

6F1BDD5E-7B9C-4F02-8C5E-8DF6344CB17C.jpeg

EA8AD499-1E2F-46C7-A18E-85E2EDD632AE.jpeg

A03BE810-1655-4FA3-BC4D-41086C399B6D.jpeg

Last edited:
Mike, do you have a picture of your lift setup?
Sorry I keep saying I should take pictures of it but unfortunately have not. We are currently “high and dry” in Katy, Texas on Grandparent duty with 6,4 & 2 yr old boys.

Back