Boat Security when Away

How many people live separately from where their boat is kept during boating season?

• Total voters

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
For those that keep their boats somewhere other than their home on a trailer, I thought I would start a thread regarding boat security when you are away. Go...

1/2 hour away. It’s what Insurance is for ... ;)
We also don’t let anything on that we would worry about losing ... except maybe my rod holders .... but they are cheap... ;)

Our "security" is as thick as our canvas cover and if no rain is forecast for the next day, not even that. We have a slip in a marina which is pretty much wide-open and unlit. That said, we've had no problems in the three years we've been there and haven't heard of any. Fingers crossed...

We've got insurance, too, but with a $1000 deductible we're only looking to collect on a major loss.

Yeah, same here. We are out on the end ... but lights are pretty good. I worry more about some knucklehead fishing near mine and hitting it or snagging my cover with a hook. I found a small hole in cover at stern and think that’s where it came from ... :mad:

Last edited:
I’ll start: Ours is kept lakeside at our cottage. The cottage next door just sold recently to someone that rents it via VRBO. Due to the price of the cottage, we never anticipated this turn of events. Now we find our place of ZEN next door to a rental cottage - :mad:

On the bright side, any forum members want to vacation along side the Smith’s? Rent our neighbors cottage and we can hit up Houghton lake! ;)

Due to circumstances I will share in a different post, us and our other lakeside neighbors have realized we need enhanced cottage security due to renters in this cottage. I have started the process with multiple security cameras and other measures.

For camera’s we went with the Wyze Cam Pan due to cost, simplicity, and easy self management without any monthly subscription. You would need your own Wi-Fi network for this system to work for you. So far I LOVE IT. :)

You can remotely pan in all directions, zoom in and out, set to SD or HD, day and night vision, get notifications for either sounds, people, or all movement, track movement, take pictures and videos remotely, as well as 14 day rolling cloud storage of any notifications (video clip of what set it off), and/or with an SD card do the same yourself without the free and unlimited 14 day cloud storage. A bunch of other options, but for the super low price of $29.99 per camera + free app, I don’t think you can do this much with so little money. The camera’s have a variety of other options too: fire and Co2 alarm alerts, two way audio between each camera and app, etc. :cool:

Just took this photo of our dock oriented camera:

490E0D57-93E6-40B3-8EC9-05D57C8F0262.jpeg
P.S. short dock immediately to the left is for the “rental” cottage next door. :(

They make 2 different camera’s, plus other security related items. Again, all are very affordable, highly rated by consumers and CNET, and can be integrated with other camera’s, motion detectors and contact sensors for a whole home/property approach to security. :rolleyes:

https://www.wyze.com/

How about others? What security equipment do you have that you have found to be a good security option for your boat, cottage, property, etc.?

We have to trailer everywhere...
Our initial plan was to keep our boat at the end of the driveway in the woods, canvas-covered. But it was constantly wet, and with the rainy two years we've had since we got it, it was a problem getting the boat out through the soft dirt, even with 4WD.
I found an old (really old) self-storage place with dirt floors but fully covered, fully enclosed, with locking doors, for $1,000/year - 15 minutes from home. Now its always dry, with no concerns for falling branches or nasty letters from the deed-restriction police.

Its also secure in the sense that there are several hundred units, so my probability of being broken into is pretty low. The downside is that we found rat droppings all over the floor last time! :eek:

We've thought about renting a slip at the nearest lake (Lake Conroe, north of Houston), but at $200/month for a covered slip with no lift, it would amount to at least $100 every time we launch based on how often we get out - plus a 1/4 mile hike to carry stuff back-n-forth from the parking lot.

Other security: since we often take the boat and the trailer for a weekend of lake camping, and the boat will overnight on the trailer at the boat ramp parking lot, I put locks on the prop and the outdrive of my I/O.

I've looked at all sorts of ball-locks for the trailer and/or wheel clamp locks when parking in public overnight, but have determined the best theft deterrent for the trailer is a heavy duty chain through one or more wheels. Now I just need to get one.

My boat is within shooting distance of my bedroom. We also have one of those wyze cams. Can't beat it for the price!

Bummer on the rental next door Jeff. I think people are moving away from RV's and just renting homes while on vacation now. We have a few who strictly rent out their homes here. Luckily not right next to us but a couple houses down and across the canal.

Also, Jeff it looks like beautiful weather at the lake, you should be there!

Jeff, thanks for sharing! Definitely something I'll be checking out but not so much for security as just the ability to see my cottage. Wish I had known the place was up for sale...

Jeff, thanks for sharing! Definitely something I'll be checking out but not so much for security as just the ability to see my cottage. Wish I had known the place was up for sale...

Me too! That would have been great. Of course, then you’d be stuck next door to me. Thinking, “those darn Smith’s. Better get us some security camera’s.” :D

Me too! That would have been great. Of course, then you’d be stuck next door to me. Thinking, “those darn Smith’s. Better get us some security camera’s.” :D
LOL!

We store ours at the place were we put in at. It has a 8 ft fence around it and the owners live right there also. I have stored a boat there for 6 years and have never had an issue.

Additional info/ideas based on posts above:

For weather and other circumstance related security, we have everything insured. I’m a big believer in being smartly insured.

Currently for environmental factors, it sits up on its Sea Legs out of the water, and is protected by its boat cover and motor cowl cover. I miss our big canopy that it used to be under when on its former lift, but certainly prefer our recent Sea Legs change up so far.

Additional info/ideas based on posts above:

For weather and other circumstance related security, we have everything insured. I’m a big believer in being smartly insured.

Currently for environmental factors, it sits up on its Sea Legs out of the water, and is protected by its boat cover and motor cowl cover. I miss our big canopy that it used to be under when on its former lift, but certainly prefer our recent Sea Legs change up so far.
Yep we have full loss coverage!

I live in a condo complex with the boat out back on the lift. My security system consists of alligators and a bunch of Mrs. Kravitz’s who are constantly checking out what’s happening on property. Nothing gets by them, although details may be fuzzier than the images on your camera. LOL :D:p

We're about an hour away from ours and have been for the last 4 years during the summer. In our case, we are the renters but for the entire season, not just on a week by week basis. This is our 4th year in the same cabin so we've gotten to know the neighbors very well and really love the lake. We don't have any security and haven't had any issues but there's always the first time. Thanks for the heads up on the Wyze Cam! I've been actually looking at getting a security camera for the house as I've had a couple of time where it looks like someone was trying to get into my shed.

Last edited:
We are 2.5 hours away from our lake house. Pontoon is on a lift (pictured at left) with a cable and heavy lock around the lift bed. We are in a neighborhood with 9 houses, all inhabited by full-time residents. We are the only 'weekenders'. :) Also, there are covenants and restrictions in the neighborhood preventing anyone from renting out their property, so we wouldn't have to deal with the VRBO issue (most neighbors thought we'd be the ones to rent if we could!). I have Nest cameras in the house, but none pointing down at the dock...I may have to look into the Wyze Cam also.

I'm 20 minutes from my slip. Like others have mentioned, I don't leave anything on it that is of any significant value. Although it would suck, they could steal some life jackets, anchor, flares, misc fishing tackle, etc.. I don't leave any electronics on the boat when I'm done for the day.

Back