Boat wont start.. battery hooked backwards

crumcake25

Reaction score
My son hooked battery up backwards , now boat wont start, the radio and fish finder wont turn on but my horn and all lights work.. need help I rebooked up battery correctly.. is there a way to check fuses? where would they be located.. have a 24 footer outboard motor??

My son hooked battery up backwards , now boat wont start, the radio and fish finder wont turn on but my horn and all lights work.. need help I rebooked up battery correctly.. is there a way to check fuses? where would they be located.. have a 24 footer outboard motor??
Been there done that. On a Yamaha outboard there are a couple of fuses under the cowling in a fuse box. Pop the cover off the motor locate the fuse box and pop that cover off. On the inside of the cover there should be a fuse puller and some spares (don’t forget to replace the spares as soon as possible). You should be able to pull the 30a and 20a fuses and check those. Hope this helps. Happy 4th.

Been there done that. On a Yamaha outboard there are a couple of fuses under the cowling in a fuse box. Pop the cover off the motor locate the fuse box and pop that cover off. On the inside of the cover there should be a fuse puller and some spares (don’t forget to replace the spares as soon as possible). You should be able to pull the 30a and 20a fuses and check those. Hope this helps. Happy 4th.

So did what you said had to replace the 50a fuse now when I got to start it acts like it wants to start but wont turn over.. also cant get radio to turn on not sure why.. have power and my safety switch on could this maybe be not getting enough gas been like 6 months since used last but 2018 so I dont believe I have primer!

also thanks for help so far!
There is a primer bulb under the deck typically there is an access hatch just forward of the transom well. At least that’s how mine was rigged. I’ve never had to use it, but I’ve also never let my boat sit unused for 6 months.
If the boat is not even turning over, check to make sure you have the binnacle in neutral. If all other items on the dash are getting power except radio, check to make sure you turned on the accessory switch, and check to see if the circuit breaker needs to be reset (little button under the switches). Last thing to check is make sureyour battery terminals are properly tightened down especially the negative cable.

Is the battery half dead?

Back