Boating!! newbie - how To use the anchor

Tara

Reaction score
Hey gang, I’m literally sitting out with some friends on one of our first rides on the new Benny. Right now we’re just floating however I’m wondering what we attach the anchor to when we tossed aside. Sorry for such a newbie question!

There should be cleats near each corner of your pontoon. Attach your line with about three figure 8's and then wrap those with a few circles of rope. That might not make much sense but perhaps you could also google it. If all else fails, just tie a good knot on the cleat.

Post a picture!

Sorry I Am No Help With The Question
Have Never Used The Anchor On My Benny
But
Wanted To Take The Opportunity To Welcome You To
The Bennington Family
Enjoy Your New Boat And Make A Million Memories
Bennington-Swoosh-Logo-Stacked-Gold_preview.png

The Gold Standard In Pontoons

6czyBI1Wax6Ptb3ElWSQn67y4JCZQAUcOByJHIJ68XABiI96MjIy6Y7jQ3gUfIdZXzxffx_YKW9tJ2pPRb8n4dfyN9py2xMq_GjnRmA_f_IWB5pgFsbmfbxvvFi8oRR01wESqfgpS0iRVpF--wl5UG4v6TNPc9duIMO5Yu8Da4pDz73bgIFcSXfo5C2tZtpSvLmmpj0DnQ5nwSthPRIZ1Th_YWKwepznwWO44pN1W5PD-1n1tu94BJWY-iE7V_YLxe4VGKFgVMEzvus2rAo735vBmPyuASXVkIogPc-hziAKGnamE8v8VHkRgdLQ0VoPdLvVHbfdrvfI-oUf-G2GAN-pjBCdWGZ957kL7a5gnVVU5sKKrOH4-Ok1iKPfDQ2doItEYjuWfWyfdYi2n41fzPwtV8l_ipaoCWurbbWhAcj2mMWd3AaaSWhsdrEMoyye4GmHSHoSpY_FsKywjbNEfpbM2_m-I1aolt6g1S75jAWOHCAMEj9atrUY_Zjn_Pdp__ZA8HBm3RwBq-wHtCvkLKEjbyHL9s9Y1DfHpYhgkGQT-kMPIHcHILbynqAWMZ6-fCdSeYJi1UXIOygZGV9_7nuaWEjP0acxu3B5JcA=w1023-h767-no

I know this must be so silly - we did throw the anchor out from the beach. Would love to get up by the beach area but afraid I’ll beach the boat. Advice please

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 36
Congratulation on getting your Bennington and welcome to this forum. Sorry but could you restate your last question.

Hi Mike, I’m sorry I didn’t get very good reception out on the water and so that didn’t come through very well. We are fortunate to have a couple of small beaches within a short proximity of our property. Quite a few boats like to anchor there in the shallow area - people get out and swim. I was nervous about doing that because I wasn’t sure how close to shore I could go with the boat before I put it in neutral or throw out the anchor. I guess I’ve watched too many crazy movies, where someone Plows their boat right up onto the beach! Any assistance with how to drive a boat up to the shallow area of the beach would be appreciated. If I’m posting these boater 101 questions in the wrong area please let me know.

If we go to one of the islands here on the lake we do pull up on shore.

Approach slow, watch for big rocks etc, trim up as you approach. Do not trim up past your water intakes. If necessary move people to back. When possible I power right up on to shore. At some point get off the bow and pull boat onto shore, tie off or toss anchor onto shore, mind your prop. When leaving, people in stern, push off and up, get in to deep enough water, lower trim, start engine and back out, trimming down as you leave.

Practice this, the last wrap gets a quick flip and It's under its prior wrap, give it a good tug to cinch it tight. It becomes automatic over time. If docking, leave some slack on one rope cleated, wrap the other dock cleat base and pull the boat towards that cleat, wrap and cinch tight. Don't forget fenders.1529193781462142436031.png

Hi Mike, I’m sorry I didn’t get very good reception out on the water and so that didn’t come through very well. We are fortunate to have a couple of small beaches within a short proximity of our property. Quite a few boats like to anchor there in the shallow area - people get out and swim. I was nervous about doing that because I wasn’t sure how close to shore I could go with the boat before I put it in neutral or throw out the anchor. I guess I’ve watched too many crazy movies, where someone Plows their boat right up onto the beach! Any assistance with how to drive a boat up to the shallow area of the beach would be appreciated. If I’m posting these boater 101 questions in the wrong area please let me know.

Is it sandy or rocky bottom leading up to the beach? If sandy just come in real slow (doing everything with the engine as previously stated) and give it a pull. It definitely makes a difference having guests be in the stern both coming into shore and leaving. We had a tree that we used to tie off to as the waves will still move the boat around. So if no trees, still not a bad idea to toss an anchor out and just keep an eye on it

In addition to what you have read above there are several u tube videos on the subject.

We have beached our boat but never liked it. There was an area at Lake Anna in Virginia where we used to go to play water volleyball. (We've taken Carl there) We beached it there but would mostly just anchor just off of it in about 3 feet of water and throw 2 anchors out. You just don't know what's under there and if it will damage the underside of the pontoons.....

We have beached our boat but never liked it. There was an area at Lake Anna in Virginia where we used to go to play water volleyball. (We've taken Carl there) We beached it there but would mostly just anchor just off of it in about 3 feet of water and throw 2 anchors out. You just don't know what's under there and if it will damage the underside of the pontoons.....

BK make you could also wrap the toons. Try bubble wrap :p

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but you should never "throw" an anchor. Someone and/or your boat could get hurt. Always slowly release it from the deck to the bottom, straight down, then either let the wind blow you away from it or use very small amount of reverse to "set" the anchor.

I also highly recommend taking the US Power Squadron "ABC" course or an equivalent in your state. I've been boating 40+ years, repeated the course this year, and still learned plenty of new things! It may also lower your insurance a bit.

Have fun!

Thank you to all who responded. I felt like such a 'dummy' but so much good content here! I grew up boating but of course, my dad drove - I now regret not asking him for some training back then. I did take a boating course about 3? years ago - a refresher would be good. (We had a jet ski - NY requires a boating license for a jet ski but not a boat - makes no sense to me! )

....It's also been suggested to me to get two anchors - BOTH for the bow, not the stern. The USCG class we took (Mn) suggested the "Fortress" brand, danforth type, lightweight anchor. Depth of the water and the bottom type matters too. I'm a newbie too...hello!!

Back