Boats stored for winter/ Batteries??

Calamus

Reaction score
I got both of the boats packed away for winter still have to clean them out and put the covers on. I was going to try battery tenders this year instead of pulling them out, the back side of my shop is not heated, I have 4 batteries between the 2 boats 5 or 6 next year when I get a trolling motor for the pontoon, my question is does anyone else do this have you had problems ? I got battery tenders from harbor freight for $4.99 each on sale reg. $9.99  Now just starting the spring fishing count down!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no reason why that wouldn't work fine since its stored inside.  Why bother removing them?    Ours is stored outside so I have to pull them out and put them on tenders.

Go Tigers!

Worth a shot, BUT, being they are HF cheapie, I'd pull the batteries so just in case something happens, they are not in the boat. I have one I used in my GillGetter, but it had an exterior battery box., so I wasn't worried about it. Actually, I don't care what brand it is, I'd still pull my battery..... Just my 2 cents .... :)

Worth a shot? I have a Harley and Corvette on battery tenders every year with the battery in the vehicles.  Nothing is going to happen.  Just my 2 cents.

Well I live in Manitoba, and it's NOT worth the shot. I spent A LOT for my 4 batteries, sure they say a charged battery won't freeze, but for the 10 minutes of work it took to lug each of those 75lb batteries out, I KNOW they will be fine come spring. You said part of your shop is heated, I can't see that it is that difficult to pull them and cart them 50 feet to stay in the warm section. My boat sits in a big quonset, no heat, no insulation. $1400 in batteries and -45 to -50 Celsius, no thank you, they can sit in my basement. 

Worth a shot? I have a Harley and Corvette on battery tenders every year with the battery in the vehicles. Nothing is going to happen. Just my 2 cents.
It's not the "Tenders" it's the "Cheap" tenders I'd worry about, but hey .... To each his own.By the way, check this thread .......... Note, it's not "how" it happened, my point is something "can" happen .... That old saying, it's not "if" it happens....... It's "when" it happens.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79961-why-not-to-leave-your-car-on-a-trickle-charger/

Interesting comments all around.  One thought that came to mind is I'd rather have my boat burn down than my house...

That said, I've pulled my batteries and they are in basement on battery tenders.

Sweet barn there! I'd remove and keep on a tender in the house. That way you can keep an eye on it.

Sweet barn there! I'd remove and keep on a tender in the house. That way you can keep an eye on it.
Thanks We love it just wish it was bigger! Ha when we bought the place we said to each other why would anyone ever need such a big building. now its packed full of our treasures!(junk) someday the kids can have a nice auction! I think I will go ahead and pull the batteries and put them in the front of the shop, its heated to above freezing anyway and 65 with the wood burner on weekends. I am leaving the lawn mower battery in and on a tender because I hate taking it out. So that should let me know if it works. The reviews on it are great though.http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

Good to hear, I should mention that I don't leave a tender on constantly on my batteries. I see no point to it. Every month or two I will throw it on for a day or so and it is more than fine. I never trust leaving things plugged in and on all the time, I know some things I have to, but I don't see any value in the tender being on continually. They say my batteries have a shelf life of 2 years without needing a charge due to the fact that they have such a low self discharge rate, but I figure I'll top them up over the winter.

Well I live in Manitoba, and it's NOT worth the shot. I spent A LOT for my 4 batteries, sure they say a charged battery won't freeze, but for the 10 minutes of work it took to lug each of those 75lb batteries out, I KNOW they will be fine come spring. You said part of your shop is heated, I can't see that it is that difficult to pull them and cart them 50 feet to stay in the warm section. My boat sits in a big quonset, no heat, no insulation. $1400 in batteries and -45 to -50 Celsius, no thank you, they can sit in my basement. 
I would say for $350 a battery I would keep them under the bed right next to my gold bars. Im guessing the must be sealed gel batteries? How many more years do you get out of them? I have run Crown marine batts for the last few years and been very happy with them.I thought they we pricey. The bass boat has 3 batteries in it alone and if I get a trolling motor for the pontoon that 6 batteries for the boats, 2 for the pickup 1 for the suburban 1 for the car 1 for the tractor 2 for the lawn mowers 1 for the generator. So 14 batteries adds up Im hoping that theses tenders work well and ya I think I will run them(tenders) a few days a month. I got a power strip so I can plug in all of my tenders at once.

Haha, they are Northstar TPPL AGM batteries (Thin Plate Pure Lead). Same idea as Odyssey batteries. Biggest difference between them and a "normal" AGM battery is number of cycles and the fact they can be discharged 80% with no problems vs most normal AGM are in believe 40-50%. I went with them because of the stereo being completely stand alone, they are not charged while motor is on, I use a shore charger when I return for the day, so needed something with a deep cycle.

I see your point SEMPERFI, I have my 2 batteries on battery tenders in the garage.  I'm going to check that no wires are crossed after seeing that thread you posted.

Thanks

Well I live in Manitoba.  My boat sits in a big quonset, no heat, no insulation. $1400 in batteries and -45 to -50 Celsius, no thank you, they can sit in my basement. 
I know home is home, but -45 to -50 degrees is just more than a human should have to put up with.  You must go to Alaska to get warm--like we go to Florida to get warm in Winter.

No wonder Florida is like Little Canada from Christmas to April.

Good point Derrick - I think I will just put the tender on for a day or two once a month, rather than all winter.

OK this is how I set it up. I got a power strip with a breaker and an on off switch have all my batteries lined up and each one on a battery tender I can turn it on for a day or so and shut it off. Thanks for the info everyone.

I still have the original Interstate battery that came w/the boat. Next season it will be 10 yrs. old..........I remove the battery and put it in my utility room and once a month I put it on the charger. Every spring I have each cell tested and it has been rock solid. I know that I probably should change it but if it ain't broke...............

I know the day will come that it will die...........hopefully when we're not on the water. I do carry a jumper box...........

Jumper box is only as good as the battery. Our battery died last year (6years old) and it wouldn't jump. We had been out with the boat 2 days prior and it was fine.

My jump box wouldn't start a small engine Mazda when it had a totally dead battery. Brother in law's car at Christmas. Brought the jump box inside to warm up first too. If I ever need it I hope the other battery isn't totally dead...

Back