BoatUS boat insurance......

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Received an e mail that my Geico marine insurance is up for renewal and that the premium increased by a few dollars. The e mail contained our personal information and our boats pertinent information and a policy # etc. etc. The problem is we have BoatUS marine insurance.

So we contacted Geico to see how they acquired all of our information and to inform them that we don't have marine insurance with them. Well Geico told us that they just started underwriting marine insurance for BoatUS and to contact BoatUS for confirmation. So we contacted BoatUS headquarters in Alexandria, VA and they confirmed that Geico is now underwriting marine insurance for them. We asked them why they haven't contacted us and they said they are in the process of contacting members now.......

Is any other forum member with BoatUS marine insurance aware of this change or have been contacted by BoatUS or Geico?!?

I dropped them and went back to our home and auto company.

We got a great deal through Allstate. So good in fact that we asked them for an Auto quote. It beat our then current Auto company, so now we are Allstate Marine and Auto. Bonus was that after we went to Allstate for our auto policy, our marine policy went down another roughly $70/year.

Color us Happy!

I dropped them and went back to our home and auto company.
Why did you drop them Carl?!? We changed to BoatUS when we moved here......

I thought about BoatUS (just bought my first boat) but out of convenience I just added it to my current progressive policy.  I will likely shop around more after this season as I paid for this year already.

I compared both Boat US and Progressive and stayed with Progressive.  Boat US was quite a bit more for the same coverage.

I've compared Progressive, BoatUS, Farmers, and Geico.  At least for me and my situation, Progressive was the lowest price by quite a bit.  

I have 7 policies with Nationwide including Boat Insurance

Due to the number of policies multiple discounts apply and noone comes close to their rates

Just worth a look if you find yourself with multiple policies 

109013603.jpg

Summertime @ The Lake 

Had everything over the years.........cars, house, boat, jet skis, daughters motorcycle, with Erie Insurance group for over 30 yrs. Changed to BoatUS when we moved to Lake Norman. The premium was a few dollars less and they added on water towing. Might have to reconsider.......

Progressive for the boat . Service has been great 

Why did you drop them Carl?!? We changed to BoatUS when we moved here......
Same coverage and kept everything in one basket. More liability also.

Most of our insurance is with Hanover-citizens including an umbrella liability policy but boat was still better deal for same coverage with progressive (including fuel spills (I checked after an earlier different discussion on this site). Our agent deals with a number of companies. Plus, we had our old boat with progressive too so we have been with them long enough so there is no deductible on the policy. Fortunately, we have not had any boat claims so I can't speak to their service but people I know plus those on here never have seem to have an issue with them.

I have everything with one company so The Umbrella will cover all the toys 

Last thing I need is to hear something wasn't included

I like the convenience of an all in one company 

ColorfulVectorUmbrella.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have Farmers/Foremost and so far have not found a policy that is as comprehensive with the rate we pay.  They also have a pontoon specific policy that can be customized.

I had All State, because of the "all in one" thing others mentioned but quickly realized All State's boat insurance was a JOKE for spill coverage.  It covered $100.  That's right, $100.

The most you can be charged by law is something around $865k.  It's a goofy number (not a round number), but somewhere near that range.  BoatUS covers that entire amount, so I went with BoatUS.  I like their magazine and safety newsletters.

Later, on this forum, we figured out a pontoon boat like most of ours doesn't have even remotely near the amount of gas and oil aboard that would cause a spill costing $865k to clean up.  That was more for catastrophic 100-foot fishing boat accidents.  So, I started looked again since I was paying BoatUS around $350-400 for replacement coverage.

Progressive was substantially lower with adequate coverage.  I now pay $120/year.

This is a helpful thread, my policy with BoatUS renews in July, I will check out other rates then as well

Most of our insurance is with Hanover-citizens including an umbrella liability policy but boat was still better deal for same coverage with progressive (including fuel spills (I checked after an earlier different discussion on this site). Our agent deals with a number of companies. Plus, we had our old boat with progressive too so we have been with them long enough so there is no deductible on the policy. Fortunately, we have not had any boat claims so I can't speak to their service but people I know plus those on here never have seem to have an issue with them.
I used to work as an underwriter and then a claims adjuster for Citizens. Great company.

I used to work as an underwriter and then a claims adjuster for Citizens. Great company.
I have had 2 homeowner claims with Citizens (water damage at 2 diff places where we have lived) over the years and they were VERY prompt with fixes. Also my wife's car was hit and they fixed it and assisted with recovering our deductible from the person who hit her. Very pleased. No rate increases in either case. As I stated though no claim experience with progressive.

I have 7 policies with Nationwide including Boat Insurance

Due to the number of policies multiple discounts apply and noone comes close to their rates

Just worth a look if you find yourself with multiple policies 

109013603.jpg

Summertime @ The Lake 

That's the way I do it. I have everything covered with one company, State Farm. If they start getting hard to deal with, I'll shop for another one. I get better rates with package deals. Got my four cars, house, 5th wheel, weekend property, boat, golf cart, and wife's jewelry with them.  

Back