Bottle Opener

Michiman

Reaction score
Okay, now that we're moving to a floating luxury recreational platform (aka a Bennington), I'm thinking that I should install a bottle opener somewhere. There are a ton of them on-line, and some with a little box to catch the tops. 

Anyone have one? 

Dont have one ,no glass is allowed on mine .

Cans only .

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on cans only

No bottles, no glass.

We don't do bottles either... except the aluminum ones with the twist off. Nothing like that ice cold beer on a hot summer day. :p

We actually have both on board from time to time. Never had a problem with glass but I understand where you're coming from. 

I was thinking about this they other day.  I have one mounted inside the house next to the beer fridge (that catches caps), one front patio, but the thought of drilling into the new boat is frightening.

I like the openers because many of the good Michigan beers only come in glass.  I figure with 20 cup holders on the boat, there won't be a great chance of breakage.  Maybe I will just go with Mini kegs of Oberon and red solo cups this season!  

Cans only .

It's a law that no glass is allowed on The Rez, or the Pearl River where I float. They will check from time to time.

I carry this on my keychain because.

Opener_zpsk10d6vhk.jpg
[/img]

I carry this on my keychain because.

[/img]

Awesome,  I have two of those,  one on my boat keys,  one on my wife's keys.  I also have a Right Brain Brewery one in black on my Jeep keys. We got them at an event in Manistee,  Michigan last year. 

I was thinking about this they other day.  I have one mounted inside the house next to the beer fridge (that catches caps), one front patio, but the thought of drilling into the new boat is frightening.

I like the openers because many of the good Michigan beers only come in glass.  I figure with 20 cup holders on the boat, there won't be a great chance of breakage.  Maybe I will just go with Mini kegs of Oberon and red solo cups this season!  

There is a ton of great beer in this state.  We want to get some pressurized growlers to take aboard instead of bottles and cans though. But dang,  they are pricey. 

These are sweet in my opinion: http://www.growlerwerks.com

They are still working on their on-time shipping though. Best looking one on the market though. 

Was the event "Hops and Props?" I went 2 years ago and the Century Boat Club had their boat show going on at the same time.

Great fun!!!

Cans only .

+1 for us. No glass. Even our wine glasses are plastic. Come to think of it though, the wine bottles are still glass :( , but we don't drink boxed wine normally. We keep a cork screw though.  :p

I am really enjoying this thread.  New Holland bottle opener...awesome!  I actually have a Bell's one on my boat.  Just went to a tasting event with several different Dragons Milk varieties.  Surprisingly vanilla chai was my favorite.  Second, love the growler idea.  I think I'm going to make that purchase.  I have a craft beer growler bar right down the street from me.  Lastly, what is the great fear with glass?  Breakage?  I'm fairly particular about what people can bring on the boat, but I definitely enjoy some good brews.

Breakage is my concern. When it is empty you have to dispose and multiple bottles together may lead to breaking.

Absolutely Breakage . In the cooler ,when empty .Accidents happen. To me No Glass aboard helps minimize them .

Got it.  I guess I'm a bit lucky.  On the RBR, I have a nice storage area beneath the counter since I do not have the refrigerator.  I have two plastic garbage cans in there.  One is recycling with a special bag.  I have yet to have a bottle break as we place them in there gently, but it wouldn't really matter if they did.

I also think it depends on usage.  Those that spend the day on the boat may collect more empties than those that boat from home and are usually out an hour or 2.

I am in the latter camp and can simply return to the dock, swap passengers, get more beer and head out for another round.

+1 for us. No glass. Even our wine glasses are plastic. Come to think of it though, the wine bottles are still glass :( , but we don't drink boxed wine normally. We keep a cork screw though.  :p

We have two insulated aluminum containers that each hold a fifth of wine. I've also started bagging my wine rather than bottling it, so I can take my wine out in these, so I have wine on tap.

81Z7mFmaCDL._SL1500_.jpg

Was the event "Hops and Props?" I went 2 years ago and the Century Boat Club had their boat show going on at the same time.

Great fun!!!

It was "Hops & Props!" We will probably go again this year. 

I am really enjoying this thread.  New Holland bottle opener...awesome!  I actually have a Bell's one on my boat.  Just went to a tasting event with several different Dragons Milk varieties.  Surprisingly vanilla chai was my favorite.  Second, love the growler idea.  I think I'm going to make that purchase.  I have a craft beer growler bar right down the street from me.  Lastly, what is the great fear with glass?  Breakage?  I'm fairly particular about what people can bring on the boat, but I definitely enjoy some good brews.

I personally could not find a "Dragon's Milk" I like,  not my taste I suppose. But I have a nice local brewery just down the road and I more or less pass two more on my way to work,  so thankfully there are other options. Plus,  I have a nice 'Stanley' growler that it sweeet.

view

In case that image doesn't work,  here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ITtDRJOnroOUR2OVczN3V5TVk/view?usp=docslist_api

We have two insulated aluminum containers that each hold a fifth of wine. I've also started bagging my wine rather than bottling it, so I can take my wine out in these, so I have wine on tap.

Thanks Randy. This is a good heads up. I'll try to find it. Be surprised if Amazon does not have it.

Back