Bottom side of pontoons - can they be painted?

keithkz

Reaction score
I have circled the area I am referring too. I am no body shop expert by any means but this area doesn't appear to be able to be polished like the rest of the pontoons can be. I'd like to paint it with some chrome paint so that area is shiny like the rest of the pontoons will be (after they are polished). Any ideas?

Welcome back Keith. Is it possible that the alloy is different from the toons and needs a different compound?

No idea. I guess anything is possible but I have had it at a detail shop with a guy who has done several pontoons before and he has never seen anything like this. He tried several different things and nothing touched it. Said it almost looked like a type of epoxy finish. My local Benny dealer doesn't even know (although that's not at all surprising).

Look almost like heavy acid etching to me. Did he try a DA sander with like 240 grit to see if it knocks it down some?

I have circled the area I am referring too. I am no body shop expert by any means but this area doesn't appear to be able to be polished like the rest of the pontoons can be. I'd like to paint it with some chrome paint so that area is shiny like the rest of the pontoons will be (after they are polished). Any ideas?

Sounds like a good enough excuse to buy a New Bennington !

Well I just suggested that to the professional auto detailer guy who like I said above has cleaned many pontoons off and he insists that is not the case. He states it is just from years and years of oxidation from sitting in the water and never having that part polished.

Well I just suggested that to the professional auto detailer guy who like I said above has cleaned many pontoons off and he insists that is not the case. He states it is just from years and years of oxidation from sitting in the water and never having that part polished.

What did he use to clean your toons?

He states it is just from years and years of oxidation from sitting in the water and never having that part polished.

That and the acid wash probably created a super rough surface. It needs knocked down with something much srtronger than polishing compound ... like sandpaper ... but start with a higher grit and work down. 240, 180 , etc...

That’s exactly what the bottom of my toons look like after sitting in water for a few seasons. I sharkhide the rest and they look great above the water line but below the water line is the same.

Back