Bow tie down, safety chain, winch strap, holes in carpeted bunk

brentah

Reaction score
I noticed that the front of my new tritoon is bouncing every so slightly or is somewhat "springy" in the front which immediately led to the infamous tears/holes in the front bunks on my trailer after just the 2nd trip.

I think I am going to get one of the stainless, retractable tie downs to keep it from bouncing at all and provide as a safety chain...just wondering if I should get a safety chain too.  What are the rest of you using?

Also, I was thinking about putting something like a round, rubber door stop on the bunks to keep it away from the bunks so I can put the cover on easily .

Lastly, my winch strap is rubbing against the frame and it seems like there has got to be a better way...seems like this will cause fray eventually...any suggestions?

Do you have room to move your front bunks forward? I use the rear tie downs as my safety stop.

Yes, we have room to move them forward, but the dealer moved it back because the bunks are about 8 inches too long and they didnt want the transducer having any possible contact with the bunk in the rear.  The weight on the trailer tongue seems to be fine.

If the front of the boat is Springy you don't have the boat tight against the upright bunks. We have to stop the boat on a downhill to get it to move the last 1/2" to snug it to the bunks.  With the extended front deck you do have a new problem with the routing of your winch strap.  It doesn't look like it will abraid the strap so just keep it tight. 

I leave mine off the stops about 2 inches an run a cheap ratchet strap down under the trailer to the outside toons. We have the rub rail and that is how the dealer loads all his boats keeps the trailer nicer and the Pontoon boat from getting all scuffed up also.and Stick a peice of carpet to keep your strap from rubbing would need a little bigger picture  if you want to talk about moving the location of the eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calamus...kicking myself now for not getting the rub rail.  I think I am going to mount some solid rubber to the front bunks for the pontoon to load up against that would be low enough to give clearance to the snaps so I have room to snap the mooring cover on, if that makes sense.  I am thinking cut something to fit out of a rubber mat from Tractor Supply.

I am going to do exactly what you said about the ratchet straps...going to pull it up to the local trailer dealer and he is going to help me get something setup so I can secure to the outside toons like you say.

I moved the strength strap and "U" bolt forward to the Rub Rail from under the second Frame. No strap rub or fraying and I can hook up easily. I also use 2 hold down straps on the transom.

I believe that the second frame where it was mounted is more of a "structural" frame, which is why it was on that one. On my first toon I had the problem of my snaps being right inline with my bunk stops, so it tore up the carpet pretty good by the time I figured out a "fix" . I used a rubber Fernco, which is found in your plumbing section and pulled off the hose clamps, then screwed it to the bunks using stainless steel screws (the flat tapered ones) with one or two stainless washers. It allowed me to snug the bow up to the stops, and still put my playpen cover on. Here is a pic.

Bunk burn.  I know it well.

I like the factory rub rail guards.  They work well and don't detract too much from the look of the stainless steel rub rail.

I just ordered the rub rail guards yesterday...looked pretty nice and not too hard to install.

What exactly did you order? Been thinking about that myself, but not sure what to do.

We ordered the rub rail protectors...on the boat builder it is a $63 option for the 22SSX at least...I just purchased some square rubber stops(goes on bottom of furniture) from Home Depot but I am going to return them I think once I have the rub rail protectors on.

What exactly did you order? Been thinking about that myself, but not sure what to do.

I think if you can lower your winch down some it will not rub your boat so much and pull the boat down to the trailer so it will not move so much.

I was thinking the same thing you suggested, String.  I took it to our local trailer dealer to put on a bow tie down along with transom tie downs.  They said it wasnt ideal for the strap to be like that but they said it would be best to leave the winch as close to the level of the eye as possible.

The bow tie down took care of the bounce and will act as my "safety chain".  I will get some pictures taken this evening and post what they did.

I have the infamous rub on the rail too. It just happens to be lined up with my buttons for my cover. Now I have to replace a couple of snaps on the front as well. Pretty poor design if you ask me. The dealer said they would fix it when I took it in for the first service but I'm sure it'll return unless they fix the design. I used the tie downs for the front of my deck boat and it kept the front from bouncing around. I'll do the same for the pontoon and see if that helps. 

stinks to hear that Jimmy...just get the rub rail protectors...just picked mine up last week...approx $80 with tax.  I got my bow tie down in place now, so not too much bounce but I still cant snap my mooring cover on thus the rub rail protectors..good luck.

Back