Box anchor

I frikkin' LOVE LOVE LOVE my box anchor!!!! The small size will be plenty for that boat.

If you are in a marine environment, it would be worth considering the stainless steel version.

Peace.

There is nothing small about the small box anchor.

It's the only anchor I would trust to hold my boat overnight. It dug in so deep once i didn't think i was going to retrieve it. But we have a mucky lake bottom and the clay/mud mix likes to stick in the nook and crannies of the box. It's a pain to clean.

There is nothing small about the small box anchor.

It's the only anchor I would trust to hold my boat overnight. It dug in so deep once i didn't think i was going to retrieve it. But we have a mucky lake bottom and the clay/mud mix likes to stick in the nook and crannies of the box. It's a pain to clean.
Do you have 2 anchors Kaydano???

I have the small box anchor and it holds my 2275 Rl

We have a small and the baby box. The small will hold the 25' toon but you do have to get enough anchor line out. A 2:1 rode will work which is the advantage of the box anchor. We anchor in 60 - 80' and have to use 120' of line to know it will hold. We use the baby on the stern to stop the swing in the coves. It does not feel small when you haul it in. :oops:

We have a small and the baby box. The small will hold the 25' toon but you do have to get enough anchor line out. A 2:1 rode will work which is the advantage of the box anchor. We anchor in 60 - 80' and have to use 120' of line to know it will hold. We use the baby on the stern to stop the swing in the coves. It does not feel small when you haul it in. :oops:

60-80'. Holy Cow. I'm always careful when I pull my rope in to keep it neat. At some point in my trip though, I feel like Russ from Christmas Vacation when he's handed the jumble of Christmas lights. 'work on this, Russ'. And I only have 50' of line and we anchor in 15-25'. Can't wrap my head around keeping 120' of line neat.

I use a 20# Box anchor and a small anchor to control swing. My Box is powder coated and folds up to put in bag.

The box anchor is designed to not need too much lead rope.

The box anchor is designed to not need too much lead rope.
It uses much less than others, some anchors need 8:1. It needs some rode. In 60', if you put out 80' the wave action from wakes can pull it loose. I love looking at all the anchor ropes going straight down and the boats floating around with the owners thinking they are anchored.

Both of our anchors DO NOT require a chain and only need a 2:1 rode. I have a Digger for the main anchor and a Chene anchor for the stern. I carry 100 ft. of rope for each but usually anchor in 6 to 20 foot depths depending on where we are.....

We have 3 anchors. The box, a small mushroom, and a navy style. The mushroom is easiest to clean, but pulls through the mud in anything but light wind. 10+ mph wind will slowly drag it across the lake. Which is fine as long as you are aware that it is doing that. The Navy is heavier and holds well. It doesn't shed the mud as easily as the mushroom.

The box holds the lake bottom extremely well, but I've had to use the boat motor in the opposite direction to break it free. I can usually pull it loose but often takes all my strength to do so. Mud sticks in the corners, hinges and spring. It would probably hold my boat still in a hurricane.

Again, we have an extremely muddy, mucky lake bottom, so take everything I said with that in mind. You should select an anchor based on your lake bottom, or have a couple different ones if you travel.

Last edited:
I have a 30# river anchor for obvious reason. We mostly boat on a reservoir fed by a muddy river. Just got this one after finding that a 25# couldn’t hold us in a 5 mph breeze.

FYI - the box anchor needs anchor rope with some give to keep from popping the anchor loose. I was using double diamond braided line and was dragging the anchor when rocking from boat wakes. I emailed Slide Anchor "3/8 braided nylon is what I would recommend. Use a two-to-one scope.......20 feet of water, 40 feet of line, "

Back