JaccFrost

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of talk of the box anchor. I an eye-balling the small box anchor and a Rocna scoop anchor http://www.westmarine.com/buy/rocna--anchors--P005_153_007_004

Box anchor is ~19lbs v. Rocna at 9 lbs

I know weight isn't everything and my fluke anchor works great until I get in weeds. The Rocna is suppose to perform well in weeds. How about the box anchor?

What about retrieving the box anchor from weeds? It is already a heavy anchor and I retrieve by hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 2 box anchors ,A small off the bow and a baby in the stern to stop the sway .

Never tried them in the weeds only the sand bar 

I use the medium box anchor and I have had a couple of other boats raft up with me while I was the only one anchored.  So easy to set and retrieve

I want to pick up a small this year. I'm tired of fighting our current anchor.

I have seen a lot of talk of the box anchor. I an eye-balling the small box anchor and a Rocna scoop anchor http://www.westmarine.com/buy/rocna--anchors--P005_153_007_004

Box anchor is ~19lbs v. Rocna at 9 lbs

I know weight isn't everything and my fluke anchor works great until I get in weeds. The Rocna is suppose to perform well in weeds. How about the box anchor?

What about retrieving the box anchor from weeds? It is already a heavy anchor and I retrieve by hand.
I purchased the small box anchor last year. I have had great success setting the anchor in all bottom conditions with the exception of a weedy bottom. It is a very easy anchor to set, retrieve and stow. On a windy day I set the anchor on a weedy bottom. Lots of anchor drag and by the time I retrieved it, I could barely lift the anchor. The exercise took over 20 minutes in 14 ft of water. Perhaps if I had a second anchor off the stern or stayed home, I may have averted this? Caution when setting on a weedy bottom on a windy day!

Do you have any good discounts codes you can share?

I purchased the small box anchor last year. I have had great success setting the anchor in all bottom conditions with the exception of a weedy bottom. It is a very easy anchor to set, retrieve and stow. On a windy day I set the anchor on a weedy bottom. Lots of anchor drag and by the time I retrieved it, I could barely lift the anchor. The exercise took over 20 minutes in 14 ft of water. Perhaps if I had a second anchor off the stern or stayed home, I may have averted this? Caution when setting on a weedy bottom on a windy day!
 We are on a weedy lake so is this not a good anchor for that?

Andy ,I just sent you an email 

I have the large box anchor and even with the bimini in the radar position my boat still drags on the really windy days...whether in weeds or sand.

It does kind of sound like it will the be the best solution for weedy bottoms. Amazon so far is the best price I have seen on the box anchor with free shipping. Perhaps I will go with the Rocna scoop. They are very similar in price and may preform better in the weeds. That is really my only area I have problem anchoring.

We are on a weedy lake so is this not a good anchor for that?
I set on a very weedy bottom on a windy day. I believe the wind was the culprit as I have set the anchor fine here before without wind. I would suggest there is likely a better anchor for weedy bottoms if that is your primary condition you encounter.

Rocna stated they recommended using 20' of chain. That's more than I want to bring along.

I use the box anchor as well, and it's the easiest anchor I've used.  Highly recommended.

Having had OK success with other anchors and after several recommendations on the forum I bought a small box anchor in July and it has been great.

I bought it from sales@totalmarinediscounters.com, which had the best price of $120 at the time.  You may want to at least check their prices if you want to buy one.

Roy

I'm gonna buy the Vulcan 9 this year and see how that works for my boat.  I'll use the box anchor I already have for the stern to keep the boat from spinning.  That box anchor, even the large size one I have, just doesn't work well with my sized boat...in muck OR sand....not on windy days anyway. 

I've used a box anchor with great success.  Never had an issue with it not sticking.  Most of our bottom is silky and sandy and using a 50' line I've never had one come undone.  Granted, I haven't had the chance to use it with my pontoon but with my 29' deck boat (with full bimini) it always held.

Reactions: ssc
I'm gonna buy the Vulcan 9 this year and see how that works for my boat.  I'll use the box anchor I already have for the stern to keep the boat from spinning.  That box anchor, even the large size one I have, just doesn't work well with my sized boat...in muck OR sand....not on windy days anyway. 
There was a thread on here about the box anchor not working. He was going to return it. He spoke with the seller/maker of the box anchor and found he was using it wrong.  Wrong rope, wrong amount of rope etc... I did a quick search but can't find it.

add:  found it  http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/3279-which-anchor/?hl=anchor

oops... I see it was your thread... I guess it's still not working.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a thread on here about the box anchor not working. He was going to return it. He spoke with the seller/maker of the box anchor and found he was using it wrong.  Wrong rope, wrong amount of rope etc... I did a quick search but can't find it.

add:  found it  http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/3279-which-anchor/?hl=anchor

oops... I see it was your thread... I guess it's still not working.
Thanks Admiral. I found the info you were referencing. Much appreciated.

I am still torn on anchor choice. Box anchor gets a lot of love in these forums but weeds are mixed bag. Not even sure what other anchor to consider. The Rocna I looked at wants more chain than I want to keep with me. Decisions. I anchor in all sorts of bottoms and have only issues with weeds.

2014 21SLX

Thanks Admiral. I found the info you were referencing. Much appreciated.

I am still torn on anchor choice. Box anchor gets a lot of love in these forums but weeds are mixed bag. Not even sure what other anchor to consider. The Rocna I looked at wants more chain than I want to keep with me. Decisions. I anchor in all sorts of bottoms and have only issues with weeds.

2014 21SLX

Seeing you have a 21 foot boat I would feel confident going with the box anchor like I have.  It seems to work exceptionally well with 23 foot and shorter boats but not a heavy beast like I have.

Back