Breaker replacement

Rick S

Reaction score
Has anyone had the little breakers on the dash go bad? I replaced a broken Nav light with a new unit but the breaker won’t reset. I’m wondering if the breaker is bad? Anyone have that happen and are they available online or just through a Bennington dealer?

Has anyone had the little breakers on the dash go bad? I replaced a broken Nav light with a new unit but the breaker won’t reset. I’m wondering if the breaker is bad? Anyone have that happen and are they available online or just through a Bennington dealer?
Are you sure there isn't a short in the system from the damage causing the breaker to continue to trip? With the breaker tripped you could measure the the impedance from load-side hot to ground (i.e., across the nav light with lamps removed).

Maybe a wire was pinched or caught with fasteners when it was replaced like PRaudio is describing. Might want to take it back apart and check. Possibly the new light was assembled with a shorted wire/socket from manufacturer.

No one else has had these breakers go bad? I have two that won’t reset and one is for the Nav/anchor light and the other is for a switch (livewell) that does not have anything attached to it? I have to believe both are bad breakers as I’ve tested both lamps and there is no short. It’s either a bad breaker, or I’m missing something that needs to be done to reset it. When pushing it in there doesn’t seem to be any resistance at all and it just springs back. Hopefully someone else has experience with these little buggers :)

I have had a problem with them but it isn’t that they won’t reset, mine seem to have a loose connection internally. The nav lights or docking lights won’t come on unless I tap on the console next to the breaker. Tap and the lights begin to work. Checked all the connections and they are tight, I was even able to check for voltage when one was acting up and no voltage until I tapped the breaker. So I’m guessing there is corrosion in there and they are slowly falling apart. It’s a 2014 so 6 years in the salt water/air can wreak some havoc on electrical parts. They are cheap and easy enough to replace.

I am having the same issue with my livewell. The rocker switch light comes on but the reset button underneath the switch does not press in or out. Does anyone know of a video on testing the breakers behind the panel? I am trying to learn to troubleshoot the panel. My nav lights on the bow are not working wither. Thanks.

If the rocker switch light comes on then there is power, so the breaker would not need to be reset. I had to replace my livewell pump after about 5 years. It was pretty straightforward and easy to replace. But, make sure you get the right pump, the “universal” ones aren’t that universal. Depending on the age of your boat, it may be under warranty. My dealer “fixed” mine in the fall one year and when I tried to use it the next spring it didn’t work. I then fixed it myself.

Back