Breaking in new boat

Bgwinner

Reaction score
We’re hoping to get our new 23’ tritoon, 200 hp, in the water soon if the weather warms up. The manual says to break in the motor for 4 hours plus 4 hours 3/4 throttle. Any thoughts or other recommendations for a new Bennington owner?

Start on page one of forum and start reading ..... :D

Oh, and welcome aboard, and pics are MANDATORY ... ;)

What motor do you have? Most manufacturer websites, and owner manuals, give pretty detailed advice on proper break in. I know my Yammies was a lengthy, bring it up on plane, keep alternating rpms for first couple hrs, then wot for no more than 5 mins during these hrs.......yada yada yada.

Do you have the Evinrude?

Oh, and the 'search' bar at the top should help greatly on this site, I think most brands have been discussed. Although straight from the manufacturer is best

My dealer had the break in details highlighted in my manual when they performed the walk-through. It is spelled out pretty specifically. I followed the instructions to the T. I had my first mate captain the boat during some of the break in. Gets pretty boring going across a big lake at 8 MPH. But there are components that need to finish the hardening process such as the gears. Rings need to be heated so as to seal properly. So, just take your time and do it right.

Some will say drive it like you stole it right out of the gate, but....

At the time of delivery I had the same questions and concerns, only to find out that my Bennington dealer took care of the break-in period. He believes this business practice saves him from potential problems with customers claiming they did everything properly during the break in period. I received my Bennington with a full tank of fuel and ready to go. The family was happy that we could get right down to business and go waterskiing.

I agree spoiled. It amazes me when some go full throttle right out of the gate! Oh well.

What motor do you have? Most manufacturer websites, and owner manuals, give pretty detailed advice on proper break in. I know my Yammies was a lengthy, bring it up on plane, keep alternating rpms for first couple hrs, then wot for no more than 5 mins during these hrs.......yada yada yada.

Do you have the Evinrude?

Oh, and the 'search' bar at the top should help greatly on this site, I think most brands have been discussed. Although straight from the manufacturer is best
Yamaha 200 hp. Thank you.

SUBJECT: Break-in Procedures — All Models
Introduction
New motors require a period of break-in to allow
mating surfaces of moving parts in the powerhead
and lower unit to wear in evenly. Correct break-in will
help ensure proper performance and longer motor
life. Failure to follow the break-in procedure could
result in reduced engine life or even severe motor
damage. All current Yamaha four-stroke motors
require a period of 10 hours break-in. The
procedures are explained in the Owner’s Manual
and are repeated in this bulletin.
The boat must be operated under load, which
means in the water (lake river, ocean, etc.), with a
prop installed and unrestrained. The first 10 hours of
operation should be run using the following running
pattern.
1. First hour – run the motor at varying speeds up to
2000 rpm (approximately half throttle if there is no
tachometer).
2. Second hour – accelerate hard enough to put the
boat on plane (do not use full throttle) then back
off of the throttle but keep the boat on plane.
3. Next 8 hours – run the motor at all speeds but
avoid continuous running at Wide Open Throttle
(WOT) for more than 5 minutes at a time.
4. After completing the 10 hours of break-in,
commence normal operation.
Yamaha recommends waiting until after the second
hour of break-in operation to conduct propeller
testing to confirm correct WOT rpm. Refer to
Yamaha performance bulletins or contact the boat
manufacturer for general propeller recommendations
to prevent over or under propping during break-in.

My new Evinrude Etec G2 150 HO on my new 19 22SSBXP says "no break in required". Wonder if they break in at the factory? Seems odd. I know it's a 2 stroke, but seems odd. I guess on my new sleds back in the day, i never really broke them in either.

My was good to go from the start too, the sleds have a predetermined break in on the computer so you can whip out them whatever they got right away, they go faster after the chip burns thru. The G2 May have the same set up.

Back