Cam cleats for fenders

Dan S

Reaction score
Has anyone used small cam cleats for holding fender lines? Thinking about it and it seems as though it would work. Smooth and infinitely adjustable in a heart beat. Thoughts?

http://www.ezfender.com/

index~~element40.jpg

I'm considering EZ Fenders too. Cam cleats seem a bit more 'elegant', nothing to screw or unscrew or push through a hole. Just a pull and they're out or in. I don't know, I was just wondering if anyone has tried them as fender holders. Thanks for input.

Love my EZ fenders.  I would be nervous using a cam cleat if just pulling fenders up while underway like I do with EZ Fender  

Commodore,

I think you'd still be able to pull them out and reposition them in the cleat at a higher level or if they're only used when tieing up to other toons and then removed , it wouldn't matter. The limiting issue here would be, are there cam locks small enough to fit on the top of the rails and still hold the,proper size fender rope. I'm just trying to look at this fender lock issue from a different angle and see if we can come up with something we haven't thought of yet.

DanS, one of my favorite things about the EZFender is that I do just pull them up high and then I am underway; don't have to take them in and take up valuable storage space.  I also carry 3 very large fenders for when I am tying up with others, these are the ones I stow under the seats

I'm using Zig Zag cleats mounted to the top of the rails and they work great. Adjustment takes just a couple of seconds and I have enough line on the fenders to double as dock lines. I wouldn't use them on the fence of a boat that stays in the water due to the leverage they could exert but for a trailered boat they're fine. They can be mounted down on the deck, but in my case the fence runs the perimeter so that's not an option for quick and easy access.

Krebs,

Zig zags had crossed my mind too. Are they narrow enough to fit within the 1.25" width of the top rail on the fence?

With regards to the EZ Fenders, would anyone see a problem leaving the fender rope in the EZ Fenders and use the fenders at your dock as your main protection or is it possible for the rope to slip thru the screw hole over time? I used the Garelick fender thingys on my deck boat, which was left in the water 100% of the time. They never caused any problem whatsoever and held the fenders perfectly for a week or two at a time. I'd like to use them again but I think they'd cause a proble with the mooring cover on the Bennington. The Garelick ones do stick out a bit but they work so well. Anyway, that's probably enough about fender holders. I just spent the whole day getting my dock ready for the new Bennington. I'm still not done. I should have bit the bullet and purchased a new dock too. Next year.

Keep in mind whether anything on the top rail will interfere with the mooring cover...

Keep in mind whether anything on the top rail will interfere with the mooring cover...
That's one reason I did not go with the zig zags, the other was, in my initial season I was in slip 10 ft wide and not on a lift. My fenders took a beating. To me it looked like it would wear more that somthing on a swivel.

I was also concerned about Zig Zags and the mooring cover so a test fit was done using two-sided tape to hold the cleats while the cover was installed. There was no interference at all so the final install with screws was performed.

Do the EZ fenders hit the mooring cover at all.

In the front, prior to the bimini pole stands no problem.  Behind that yes it would but I didn't need them there the way my boat sits in my slip

I have these Quick Cleat portable mounts/locks and they work very well, quick to use:

https://www.quick-cleat.com/cart.php

I use Quick Cleats as well and they work great.  I don't really adjust the height often, but it's nice to have that option.  Very easy to move from one side to the other or anywhere along the length of the boat.  Didn't want to drill or mount anything to my toon until I was more familiar with where the best locations would be, but I'm going to stick with these now.

Back