Can you Believe?

When I lived in San Francisco I found myself getting tired of saying beautiful day , beautiful day 

Then came the wild fires due to the Beautiful Days 

Lack of rain extended droughts

Still growing , still building and the drought gets worse

Stratospheric cost of living, no wtering grass, no washing car, limit flushes, limit showers

WTH ?

Came back here to Normal America 

Next moved to NYC - Manhattan OMG 

Then Dallas and others 

All I can Say Is 

"There Is No Place Like Home" (lol)

110612604.jpg

Agreed Pittsburgh, no place like home.  Love living in a suburb outside of Albany, NY.  Few hours to NYC, Boston, Montreal and Albany is part of the tri city area that with a metro population of about 850,000 is large enough to support some great restaurants, theater and nightlife.  Summers are gorgeous here and I do believe that the change of seasons does make you appreciate each one that much more.  That first warm day of Spring fills everyone with exhilaration, nothing like sitting around the communal campfire on a brisk fall night, fresh fallen snow is beautiful and I can't imagine Christmas without snow.  Now because you can have too much of a good thing we leave for Florida for a month in a few weeks.  I really can't remember other winters with such low temperatures. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Timing was absolutely perfect. Missed the big blizzard with enough time for the airlines to catch up so there were no flight delays.

When it reaches 30 below air temp, I start to worry. At that temp our furnace will run 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off. When that happens, the outside of the furnace gets hot to the touch. That's when I start to worry...

Link, where ya gonna be in Floriduh? We're going to be in Port Caniveral around the 24th for a cruise.

CWag, we are in Merritt Island with Kathy's mother from 2/23 - 3/23, 10 minutes from Port Canaveral.  We are taking cruise from there 3/1 - 3/8. 

Y'all are still snow bunnies. We said good by to New England 8 years ago and never looked back. Don't miss the big Blizzards at all  especially after it lays around for 3 or 4 weeks getting dirty and gray. We've had our snow. Last year about 5" but gone in a day. One year we even had a white Christmas  My kind of winter. This year just some cold air. Today 15 at 7:30 BUT it'll be 65 tomorrow. Spring is 6 weeks away but we'll have the Benny in the water by the 20th. Boating March to Nov1st. is a boating season  When I lived in New England it was Mid-June to Sept 30

Enjoy FL.  Cruising is fun  Get to the helm if you can it's an eye opener.

highpond, I don't think I would ever want to live in Florida year round.  Plus love our lake and especially our lakehouse with all our great "lakefamily"  I don't even seeing me purchasing anything down south as Kathy and I decided we would like to try different areas of the south including the Southwest rather than committing to a single location right off the bat

I remember when it was affordable, crime free , and not congested.

It was this silent amazing paradise where retirement made sense.

TODAY...

Well you know :(

Even the retiree's have lost their minds !

Just my opinion , BTW I have property there (lol)

PC07328.jpg

I to chose not to move to Florida. After spending time working and visiting friends the humidity is more than I'd endure for more than 2 days. Moving next to the mountains in SC proved to be our best bet. It gets hot in the summer  a string of 90's is not uncommon but LOW humidity. This has worked out great for us. I wish I could have afforded a home on a lake, but we were able to buy well only 4 miles from one. We get to use the boat a lot starting in mid to late March thru October. I'm getting ance now to take the shrink off. Yesterday I ordered 303 repellent for the play pin cover. Can't wait about 40 days to wetting the toons.

I hope the white stuff you have in NY goes fast probably get out on the lake by June. Just kidding. I know that when I lived in MA our yacht Club opened Memorial Day for the season and Closed Labor Day. 3 months here we get a full 6months and sometimes 7 The Heat Pumps work great  Cool in the summer warm in the winter.

LOL

Pittsburgh is about the same 

May1st till Labor Day for most 

We stretch it out till Mid October weather permitting

It was hard to justify spending the money for such a short season while working

Now with retirement I am on the water every day weather permitting 

Pittsburgh_1-639x287.jpg

That's the thought that I had.  Live on a lake, have the boat out on a dock. Being retired I could go out anytime I wanted.

But that didn't happen We bought a beautiful home and  after we got in the market crashed and as of this date we still can't get all our money back.

So we'll stay 4 miles from the lake and trailer the Benny down almost everyday. I guess if you look on the positive side I don't have to clean the toons every month. The only time Benny will stay in the water any length of time will be when we rent a villa on Lake Murray for 6 days in July and August. Can't wait.   

Is it Boating Season Yet ?

ice-pontoon.jpg

Here we are extremely lucky , we bought the house 15 years ago

This part of the country is extremely affordable

If word ever got out everyone would live and retire here

[SIZE=23.9999980926514px]Realized life was short and got out of the Rat Race very young[/SIZE]

[SIZE=23.9999980926514px]Now everyday is a holiday and every night is a weekend[/SIZE]

[SIZE=23.9999980926514px]"Lake Living Is Living At It's Best"[/SIZE]

I to got out of the race at 62. Now the holidays are everyday. We love it.  I'm sure lake living is great I never go  that enjoyment  I lived on Cape Cod and boated there. Traveled by boat  to Down East Maine. Went to Nantucket. To Eastern ends of Long Island. and everywhere in between . Some of that was by sail and some was by my 34' powerboat. It was a great life and even managed to work  Thinking back I'd like to have some of that back but then I hear feet upon feet of snow where we lived and thank the Lord we're here in the south east and still can enjoy the fruits of life

76* in Charlotte tomorrow and the weekend is forecast to be 65 and sunny. Summer is so close I can smell the coconut suntan oil already!

This coming summer I've got to get more pix of me

Okay next time that pic gets posted can someone put up a warning in the thread title or something? That had pretty much faded from memory, but now it's burned back into my brain like a hot skillet.

Back