Can't decide on color

Tammy

Reaction score
Hi! We are building our first Bennington and can't decide on a color. We prefer the look of a black body but are afraid it will be more work than a lighter color to keep clean looking, like champagne.  I know this is true for cars but is it the same for a Bennington Tritoon?  We don't want to be those people always wiping down their boat instead of enjoying the day.  Does black need more attention than a light color? 

Welcome to the forum Tammy.....

A whole buncha guys are going to chime in on this topic. They have full allegiances to their particular choice. Regatta blue is very popular. Matador red is too! Blackout packages are popular! Just go with your fav color. Regardless of what it is you will be wiping it down and trying to keep it clean!

Then again........when my wife got her new Cadillac she loved the black but knew damn well it was going to hard to keep clean. She got the silver one!

Welcome to the forum Tammy. Any of the darker colors will show water spots. But with a quick toweling with a wax and dry product,the cleaning is a snap. If you don't like that idea, go for the Champagne.

Any way you look at it,a little care will go a long way to keep the boat looking good and help the resale value when PADS hit you!

Thanks Guys!  We have always had offshore boats with gel coats so I wasn't sure how taking care of the different material would be.  Went on the in-laws Bennington recently and fell in love.  With a new baby, it's time to get something more family friendly and these boats are gorgeous.  

Thanks Guys!  We have always had offshore boats with gel coats so I wasn't sure how taking care of the different material would be.  Went on the in-laws Bennington recently and fell in love.  With a new baby, it's time to get something more family friendly and these boats are gorgeous.  

We wish that we had a pontoon when the kids were small. The boat would have made a great play pen to crawl and toddle around. Are you buying new or used? If new, I know theirs a lot of us that like to spend your money. Give us a try!

I've got the black with the matador swish and I'm here to tell you that my fence (and engine) show all of the watermarks. As such, I'm the guy at the sandbar wiping the entire thing down upon arrival. But in all fairness, my previous boat wasn't black but I did the same thing. ;)

My suggestion is to go with the color combo you like the best and just don't sweat the spots (if you can).

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand behind my Crimson Red choice, err choices!  Although Bennington sadly did not :(

If you go with the fancy Q model, they'll paint it whatever color you like! 

Agree with the Crimson Red .

I stand behind my Crimson Red choice, err choices!  Although Bennington sadly did not :(

If you go with the fancy Q model, they'll paint it whatever color you like! 

We have the black with no accent and love it.  I don't find it any more difficult to maintain than other colors.

I have the champagne, still wipe it down with spray wax.  Just remember, you don't see them spots from the inside, get out there and put more spots on it.

We're on our second Regatta Blue Bennington. Looking back we probably should have added an accent stripe to modernize it. Plus, great choice going with a Bennington for the family. Our little guy loves being out on ours.

3F82A901-7D59-47DF-8BB5-30E66E18C95F_zpsij5l3ubv.jpg

Black with no accent color here as well (sandstone interior). To me, and I'm a picky sumbuck, I found it relaxing to grab a bottle of 50/50 vingar & water and clean the panels. It really did not take that long (maybe 30 min), and if you do it everytime out, it becomes much easier to maintain. Slap some wax on there every now and then, plus treating your interior (depending on the type). Sweep or vacuum the floor (depending on the type), and you'll have a brand new looking boat everytime you step foot onto her. Proper care and maintenance goes a long way no matter what the color. So get whatever color you desire, but make sure you maintain it. I had a boat similar to mine on our dock (mines a GCW and his was GSR) same colors.

I took care of mine he did not. Night and day difference.

We have a Smokey Grey with blackout package and black accent strip - so a darker direction.  I really don't find it that bad to keep looking good.  Helping us is the fact it is kept on a lift under a good canopy at our cottage.  Thus, its fairly well protected from Mother Nature, and its mainly exposed only when out boating.

Me and two of my kids had it washed down inside and out in no time at all.  It doesn't get remotely as bad, or dirty as quickly, as my black SUV.  The boat is MUCH easier to maintain than my Escalade - and I am picky in this area.  

I just went out and took a few quick pictures.  Hasn't been washed in 2 weeks:

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

It could use a light cleaning, but it is still looking good after 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a Smokey Grey with blackout package and black accent strip - so a darker direction.  I really don't find it that bad to keep looking good.  Helping us is the fact it is kept on a lift under a good canopy at our cottage.  Thus, its fairly well protected from Mother Nature, and its mainly exposed only when out boating.

Me and two of my kids had it washed down inside and out in no time at all.  It doesn't get remotely as bad, or dirty as quickly, as my black SUV.  The boat is MUCH easier to maintain than my Escalade - and I am picky in this area.  

I just went out and took a few quick pictures.  Hasn't been washed in 2 weeks:

IMG_1256.jpg

It could use a light cleaning, but it is still looking good after 2 weeks.

That is a good looking boat right there!!!!! Gets the PADS juices flowing!!

Thanks all!  I don't know how to reply to individual comments  ;)  But we are building it new so picking a color.  That grey with black is beautiful (well, they all are but I have an affinity for dark colors)!  I need to Goodle "PADS" haha. I'm still torn.  Technically the hubby cleans the boat so what's a little more work for him?  :D

We went with the regatta blue with champagne accent stripe. We're in salt water so spots show after day on the water, . With a good coat of wax all that's needed is hose down and spots are gone . Good luck with your new Benny/monthly_2017_05/large.IMG_0025.JPG.81f8be8fbfd8f2670f78ad3f2fd72387.JPG

Thanks all!  I don't know how to reply to individual comments  ;)  But we are building it new so picking a color.  That grey with black is beautiful (well, they all are but I have an affinity for dark colors)!  I need to Goodle "PADS" haha. I'm still torn.  Technically the hubby cleans the boat so what's a little more work for him?  :D

PADS is a forum thing as one of the members on here bought 3 new Benningtons in a period of two years. (Pull a Derrick Syndrome). Some have also referred to it as Pontoon Acquisition Disorder. Both are highly contagious and expensive to treat. Currently there is no cure.

We have the "Same but opposite" boat as Vikingstaff, a Black with Granite accent Swingback. I take Mother's California Gold detailer (any brand will do) and spray and wipe the panels to get the dust/spots off. It only takes a few minutes. Sure a white or Champaign boat may not show as much, but black is HOT, and I do mean hot :wacko: . You are going to wipe it down anyways, so get what you want. 

Back