Can't Get it Up; Pylon Post That Is

Smoky Mountain

Reaction score
As indicated pylon post won't come up. Dealer said they worked on it for an hour and it won't lift up. It's one of my relatives Bennington about a 2010. Freshwater boat. I don't think the first owner even deployed it. Boat is in the water, doesn't seem to be any corrosion dealer claimed they applied something to lube. Anyone know how these come apart? I see two screws.

Mine works fine on my 2275. Lift, twist.

Thanks in advance.

Wow. No one has had this problem or knows how these pylons come apart?

The boat should still be in warranty.

Dealer gave up.

Hello. Perhaps I could invoke the Factory?

I think maybe don't let the dealer give up. I don't know that the pylon is a common option. There are folks here with the pylon...me for instance...but I never take mine out. Your post made me try on Monday...it didn't come out like I thought it would and I went back to not planning to take it out. I think the quiet you hear here is just a lot of folks that don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I had one on my 09 2075GLi, but it worked fine. As far as knowing how it is installed?  Nope, I don't. I guess you could call Bennington customer service and ask if your dealer doesn't know. 

Thanks.

You've got me curious...why take it out?

In my case, it's heavy and big and will dent anything it hits, and I never know when I'll need it...so I just store it in the hole it goes in. It isn't in the way of anything, being there or not doesn't change any of the ways I get around on the boat...I'm curious...what would be the reason to remove it?

-J

In my case, it's heavy and big and will dent anything it hits, and I never know when I'll need it...so I just store it in the hole it goes in. It isn't in the way of anything, being there or not doesn't change any of the ways I get around on the boat...I'm curious...what would be the reason to remove it?

-J
Not sure why to remove it, but I have not put mine in.  It stores perfectly in a special snap in slot under my rear lounger.  I guess once I need it for tubing it probably will stay in.

That makes sense. I don't have anywhere to store mine. I don't have a rear lounger...or sunpad...opted for the bar instead. If I had someplace to put mine, I think I might leave it out and put that fancy dancy little chrome cap in the hole. But without a secure place to store it, if it rolls around...it will dent whatever it hits. Heavy little bugger.

I'm pretty sure we are talking about 2 different set ups. The permanently mounted pylon twists and pulls up into position and locks. It is NOT removable.

Others are removable, hence the specific mounts.

I can see how the permanent mount might hang up. I am disappointed that the dealer has given up. I'd give Bennington's Customer Service a call. Maybe they can put the fear into your worthless dealer.

Keep us posted.

I'm going to get to the bottom of this one way or another. Quite baffling but there must be something really simple I'm missing.

Spray a bunch of Kroil down around it just in case the threads are corroded or something.  Stuff works miracles sometimes.

I'm sure this question is related to the telescoping pylon that was offered on some models. Mine used to have it on my 2075 GLi. It is mounted in the sundeck where one of the cupholders are. 

Telescoping-Ski-Pylon-7739.jpg

You just twist it and lower it and it is out of the way when not in use. I think it would also interfere with putting on the playpen cover. My 09, and probably this 2010 didn't really have any extended deck, just the metal swim platform on the one side, so the pylon had to be mounted inside the fence. Some of the fishing models are the same way, although I don't personally know if their pylons are meant to twist and lower or if they are just solid mounted. So that is why he wants to get it to work, not for removal ,simply for operation. 

Ours looks like the one portrayed in BDs picture. Its supposed to lift up for use down for storage.

The dealer supposedly used some sort of lube/release. It seems to be more just hung on something. As indicated the one on my Bennington works fine. The in laws 20 footer is locked up solid. Won't turn won't lift won't budge.

-J
On my boat I have to remove the pylon to be able to lift the engine hatch to gain access to the engine.......

I'm going to get to the bottom of this one way or another. Quite baffling but there must be something really simple I'm missing.
Did you ever figure out the problem with the ski pylon? We have an issue with ours and can't figure it out.

Are we talking about the 46" or 52" 3" diameter ski pylon that goes in the deck plate and secures into the transom pod? If so, they have 2 nipples and it needs to be "twisted" so those nipples align with the slots for it to come out.
I can keep my play pen cover with the tube in place but never leave it in and keep it secured under my starboard side lounger
I'm not familiar with other versions (if they exist) other then this one.
I've attached a link where this was discussed before on the forum and how its mounted into the transom pod.

Attachments

• Bennington ski_ tubing pylon.jpg
    Bennington ski_ tubing pylon.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 14
  • finished rear decking_LI.jpg
    finished rear decking_LI.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Did you ever figure out the problem with the ski pylon? We have an issue with ours and can't figure it out.
I struggled to remove my ski pylon when I got my current boat (used). IF YOUR BOAT IS LIKE MINE (2011 2275 GCW), twist it CLOCKWISE to remove it. That is absolutely counter-intuitive, but that's the way it is designed. This is what you are trying to disengage from.

ski pylon base.JPG
There are two protrusions on the bottom of the pylon that engage those grooves.
ski pylon.JPG

Back