Can't Wait For Spring If It Comes

Bob & Sandi

Reaction score
New boat is suppose to be here before Memorial Day, so they say. We really can't wait but I am starting to wonder if Mother Mature will cooperate. When we left the cottage last Tuesday there was 24+ inches of snow on the ground. It snowed again last night into today, another 12+ inches so that puts it at over 36 inches in the last 2 weeks not including what was alredy there.

I know that it is still February but we still have March to go before it starts to think about melting. Temps look to be on the cold side again for this coming week and not letting up for at least the next few weeks. Last year there was a 15 inch snowfall in the middle of April, we were there, and I am thinking it's going to be the same this year. Ice didn't come off until after the 8th of May.

I have been watching the local web cams and the 12"+ last night did show up. There are piers in the fore ground and below the flag and Christmas tree.

http://threelakes.com/webcam/

Yes we like to snowmobile but are starting to dislike winter.

Bob

We skipped Spring and went to early Summer here I think (Central Bama) - 87 the other day! Stuff is blooming and actually had to get the lawnmower out and cut weeds yesterday - but I expect the cold to return by next week, so too early to put the boat and waverunners in - ha

Made it up to about 66 today. Of course I've got shorts on! Somethings blooming. My nose and eyes have been telling me. Feel sorry for my brother's and sisters in Michigan with all the snow.........And we bitched when we had an early 8 inch snowfall in December that disappeared after a couple days. Hadn't snowed since.....

M Jay- curious, does the water level change there that much that you need to lift boats so high out of the water? Or May be water level is really low at this point? Either way, I jealous as our lake is frozen solid. We’re just looking for alternative stomping grounds as retirement approaches.

I’d be absolutely sick if that was my boat ... :(

Ouch! I think I'd be searching for a new place to boat.

Lake Cumberland is at 756' elevation. Flood pool is at 760'. That video is the Cumberland River at Nashville. Can you image the flooding if the Lake was not collecting the rainfall.
http://cumberland.uslakes.info/Level.asp

M Jay- curious, does the water level change there that much that you need to lift boats so high out of the water? Or May be water level is really low at this point? Either way, I jealous as our lake is frozen solid. We’re just looking for alternative stomping grounds as retirement approaches.
Hi,
No, the lake does not change that much, but the winds do. We keep it up high to reduce the effect of the winds. Tends to rock a lot more when extended.

We might see elevation changes of 3/4 feet on during the year as the power company adjust the flow or backfills the lake. Use the link below to see the lake level and trends.

http://www.smithmountainlakelevel.com/

Got it. Thanks for the note and the link. Didn’t think about wind. Wind is much better to hear than wildly changing water levels. We can’t get our docks into the water when water level is high in the spring....and once it falls about a foot, don’t have much fluctuation (maybe 6”) in water level once boats are out. And where we are at, we’re protected from most wind directions during the rest of the year. So my boats sit about 18” out of the water. The Smith Mountain Lake looks pretty awesome for boating and cruising.

Oh My, I hope they have really good insurance! Earlier this week I was reading a Facebook post from my home lake about someone who's pontoon floated off their lift and was adrift in the lake. We had a lot of rain over the last week and our lake had risen about 4 feet. This was a reminder to myself to make sure my lift is always raised well above high water level and to tie the front of the boat off to one of the pilings (we have a fixed dock). I never, ever, want something like this to happen to me!

Winter was calm here in Bend, OR November through this last week...

But she's raging now...

3 1/2' in the last few days...

Been a busy boy - I keep both sides of the street sidewalks clear...

Looking forward to getting on a plane tomorrow and being on my Boat in Havasu shortly there after...

IMG_2496.jpeg

TwoTone, nice that you can skitter between locations. I have to say that it looks pretty!

Wow! look at the snow on the cars and roof of houses! We'd have a huge run on milk and bread and shut down with a few inches of snow.
Here in NC we call that a "French Toast Party".

Back