Canvas top already has a rip

jobby tooner

Reaction score
we are still in the engine break in period and have not exceeded 25mph in a 2018 R 25
Noticed symmetrical tears in the canvas just to the stern of the second support rail
Not expecting any help/replacement from Bennington
Any suggestions for better material in a replacement cover?

Attachments

• 51A55DA0-75AA-45C2-8A2F-39EE06B76AD5.jpeg
    51A55DA0-75AA-45C2-8A2F-39EE06B76AD5.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 164
  • B89AA168-E215-4429-92FD-5BF4EB0FA3FC.jpeg
    B89AA168-E215-4429-92FD-5BF4EB0FA3FC.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 0E2BF8F7-B42F-497D-AFD5-1483F3991C5C.jpeg
    0E2BF8F7-B42F-497D-AFD5-1483F3991C5C.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 156
Why no help? If you didn’t cause the damage, it should be warranty???

Nice toon by the way!!

That will be replaced by Bennington under warranty. Why would you say you don’t expect help from Bennington?

Why no help? If you didn’t cause the damage, it should be warranty???
..on the little fabric tag attached to the canvas , it said do not exceed 15mph
our salesman said don't go over 30mph with the top up
i surmise they would default to the lower speed and say warranty voided...we'll see

Well, I have owned Benningtons’s for 13 years and gone much faster than 30with no issues.

Damn didn't know there was a speed restriction on the Bimini top......

I think you will be surprised with the level of warranty support, it’s one of the reasons we got a Bennington. Please keep us posted. Nice looking toon! I was also not aware of speed liminitations, although ours is down most of the time.

I had similar issue with my Bimini and Bennington replaced it

Had mine to 40! Oops!

Those tears clearly look like defective fabric. I cant imagine Bennington denying a claim here. Call your dealer, send him the pictures and this should easily be taken care of. Really!

Shoot, I've had mine over 50 with both bimini's up and Bennington paid for a brand new front bimini no problem. It has a 46 mph max warning but the issue wasn't really with the bimini material. The frame had been installed improperly by the dealer. Bennington stepped up to the plate, took the dealer out of the equation and paid to have a local bimini place make me a new one. I would think Bennington would take care of you just the same. They're a great company to deal with.

46 mph max warning? Did they throw a dart at some numbers to arrive at that figure?

That would be my guess or.

They had a highly trained team of bimini experts run the exact boat with the exact bimini set-up and had it fail at precisely 47 mph hence the 46 mph figure.

My boat must be an anomaly.

I guess we'll really never know...

We had a similar tear. I believe it might have been caused by the way it folds down to store in Bimini cover. Just a theory. We called our dealer, they asked for picture, new Bimini cover was ordered and received. Done deal. So far no new tears except for the cover. My wife repaired the tear near the zipper. Normal wear and tear. So far super happy with service. But we have an outstanding dealer.

I have the exact tear on my brand new 2019 G23SB. I have only had it out maybe a dozen times! I am going to speak to my dealer about this. I can also see light through the stitching so I have a feeling its about to come apart

Well, you got me to look, and I am getting the exact same tears on my top. BUT, I was shocked when I read that my tops max speed was 15 MPH??? What gives with that???

Just got off the phone with my dealer. He suggested that these small rips were from the impact of the frame pieces against the top. He will photograph these rips and forward them to Bennington for possible warranty. Will keep you posted!

I also mentioned the 15 mph limit on the Bimini top. His response was “CYA” but he followed up with “I’ve never been asked if the boat ran over 15mph when I was trying to get a Bimini replaced under warranty.”

Id imagine that will be covered under warranty! As for mine Dual curved Bimini, I've had her wide open at 51MPH with no issues, (so far) Even tow with them deployed to and from storage

Back