Captains Chair Pivot Lock Bypass!!

gmdog2

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a way to make the Captains chair not lock. I’m getting ready to make mine lock free, just wanted to see if anyone else has. Thx for the input.

Have often wished mine were free. Please post your method!

On my 2014 you push the swivel release toward the deck and it will stay in that position and allow the chair to free swivel

Mine is a 2017.....should be the same. I will check next trip and post. Thanks

I took my drivers seat off and reworked it to slide further back for some extra legroom and I also disabled the swivel locking mechanism.
I can't remember what I specifically did, but it wasn't too hard of a job.

At least on my 2017 chair, if you push the swivel lock lever down, it will just stay there. In that position the chair doesn’t lock in place, but simply will turn as I swivel in it. If I pull the lever up, it stays put, and then locks the chair in that position. I assumed they all work that way, but honestly have never tried another Bennington helm chair.

I took my drivers seat off and reworked it to slide further back for some extra legroom and I also disabled the swivel locking mechanism.
I can't remember what I specifically did, but it wasn't too hard of a job.
Thx. If I can’t get to stay unlocked somehow I will take apart this fall/winter and probably do the same

At least on my 2017 chair, if you push the swivel lock lever down, it will just stay there. In that position the chair doesn’t lock in place, but simply will turn as I swivel in it. If I pull the lever up, it stays put, and then locks the chair in that position. I assumed they all work that way, but honestly have never tried another Bennington helm chair.
Thx you.. I will give it a try!

1B596167-5624-4141-9264-C34D552F311A.jpeg 914092C8-BA10-4E1A-B0AC-4A62236C7DB8.jpeg 28CE2741-B834-4007-A733-A8531A470D2F.jpeg So I tried the push down in lock and it’s a no go. It will swivel in the down position but lock as soon as you hit a notch. So I came up with a cheater until this fall/winter.

Guess I got lucky. We had the handle come off for whatever reason and the seat is unlocked and swivels. No problem. Don’t miss the handle and cannot even find it now if we wanted to have it reinstalled for a sale. Also don’t have worries with other new Captains asking what this handle is for or hoe to use it.

Zip tied mine to the springs in the seat underside.

I tried doing the “lever down”, but it won’t stay down. Mine also touches the pedestal base.

Try rotating the handle so the right angle side is toward the seat and not the tapered side. Or you could just put a zip tie on it.

4D3602B2-7C2B-4753-BDF1-DA883D670B24.jpeg

I did it a bit different with a short bungee. It works great.

Mine flipped down works perfectly

Back