Carpet Not Drying

GaRoc

Reaction score
I have a 2008 2275 GSI that last week unfortunately was rained upon with a heavy rain before I could get the cover on the boat. 

The next day temperatures were in the 70's here in North Georgia, and I left the boat uncovered out all day in the sun - and the next day as well - and then the 3rd day again.

And the carpet still isn't dry.

Has anyone else had the same experience - and what is it about these carpets that cause them to retain water and not dry out easily?

I would think that since these boats are out in the elements all the time that Bennington would choose a carpet that dried out readily, but at least in my case that's not what has occured.

Pretty frustrating considering that we had winds of 20 mph and full sun on the 2nd day, and calm winds and full sun on the other 2 days, and I still have wet carpet.

GaRoc............

You must have had a real soaking rain for it to still be wet after 3 days. I was going to suggest a fan but you said you had full sun and winds on the 3 days afterwards. That should have easily dried it out. The only other thing I can recommend should this happen again is for you to use a shop vac to suck/pull  that water out or "squeegee" as much water as you can towards the sides and blot it w/a towel or something. Also did you check under your seats/storage? If you had that much rain, stuff you had underneath probably got wet so you need to lift them up so it can air out too..............

I have also got caught in the rain however my boat pretty much dried out the following day.  This was mid summer with temperatures in the upper 80's though

Thanks for the wet/dry shop vac suggestion. I hadn't thought of that and if it happens again I'll give that a try.

I'm just a bit amazed that Bennington doesn't put a more "breathable" carpet into it's boats since the floors invariably will get wet either from rain or swimmers getting back in the boat. The carpet in my boat really holds the water instead of quickly drying. And I didn't mention that each night during the "drying process" I covered the boat and had a fan running all night as well.

And, the cover is well vented.

I've decided - no carpet in my next boat.

I guess it's a toss up for boat manufacturers, plush carpet that looks and feels good, but being plush, holds water, or thin astroturf like carpet that dries quickly, but does not look or feel real nice.

If it happens again, raise the bow as high as you can to get the water to move to the stern, then squeegee or shop vac the excess water off, and keep it out in the sun. The fan is a good helper as well.

A laminate "j" roller works good to push water out.

Mine does same thing. I agree with Geoffrey, it's a no win for the manufacturer, and yes I agree, next will have vinyl with "maybe" snap out carpet.

Ours also we have been at the lake and it rains the carpet stays wet for days however we take a fan with us no and put the cabin up and the fan dries it in 6-8 hours over night.

I have the same year and size Benny and I don't use a mooring cover (the devil's contribution to boating), so the carpet is exposed 24/7. It generally takes only 8-9 hours to dry even after a heavy rain. Moreover, the carpet still looks great after 5 years, so Bennington's choice of carpet material has worked well, at least in my case. A shop vac will solve the problem until the next time the carpet gets wet. I'm wondering if there could be a problem with your deck holding moisture. 

I had a Hurricane Deck boat, that had carpeting that we could snap and unsnap on the floor.  We never used it. Haven't had carpeting on a boat since.

After seeing what my friends with carpets were going through, my deal-breakers was NO Carpet.

Settled for snap-in carpet....I suspect the only time it will be in is if I sell it......

On a side note, a friend used a product similar to scotch-guard when he first got his toon

and swears it helps....

But doesn't the vinyl get too hot on a sunny day?

Once your feet are charred you can't feel it anymore... At the club event the MI rep stated the vinyl flooring options run about 7-8 degrees warmer than carpet (maybe he was referring to the teak options). Our carpet got really hot a few times this summer so I'd hate to have a floor hotter than that. No one wore shoes on the boat so we were always barefoot.

My carpet was treated by the dealer and most of the water this summer just beaded and rolled off and I never really had any trouble with it drying if it was rained on. Not sure what they used on it. They also put the same product on all my vinyl so it wouldn't stain. So far no trouble with that either.

Found out what they used..

It is called Perma Plate and it comes with a warranty.

Here is the web site.

http://permaplate.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually use a back pack leaf blower and you can actually see the water coming out of the carpet.

Ours catches on the transition strip between the carpet and vinyl and the last 3" along that strip is the hardest to dry out. The fan comes in then.

I use a Bissell Little Green Machine to suck up the bulk of the water, then the rest dries super easy. It's a killer on the knees, but works so it's worth it!

Here's the new toy I ordered today so I can rent a carpet cleaner and clean the carpet at the dock (no power) and use a high powered shop vac to suck the carpet dry ....... No problem with power now ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave your always buying cool stuff! I'd hate to work for your bank/credit card co as they'd have a hard time monitoring your accounts to spot potential stolen cards as your all over the place as it is!!

Dave your always buying cool stuff! I'd hate to work for your bank/credit card co as they'd have a hard time monitoring your accounts to spot potential stolen cards as your all over the place as it is!!
Yeah I think my bank likes me having "paperless" statements .... That envelope would weigh a ton !!!!

I agree with the philosophy of " You can't take it with you" ..... So "Spend it while you got it" ...

LOL !!!

Back