Carrying extra fuel?

the-little-B

Reaction score
Looking for ideas from those here that carry extra fuel cans onboard. Pictures of what you did would be appreciated. Im wanting to carry a couple of extra 5 gallon cans externally as in carry them off the back opposite of the swim ladder. Migjt have to make an aluminum perch for them or something but i have the access to have aluminum welded.

Sometimes I'm out quite a ways and out at night past marina hours and you aren't getting anything unless you brought it yourself...

How about some military-style jerrycans strapped to the fence railing on the rear deck?

Where are you going?? I can go over 100 miles on a tank if I drive smart.

Personalty I wouldn't do it, but if I was going to do it I would never use a regular 5 gal gas can.
I would get a couple 5 gal VP Racing cans like this; https://vpracingfuels.com/product/motorsport-container-square/?c=237
The cans are taller so they have a smaller foot print, high quality and very strong and durable, good vent system, lots of colors and nice big caps Get a couple extra caps so you don't use the spout as the cap while running. Make the spouts very, very long if you want so you can fuel the boat easily from inside the boat.
Several company's make nice racks for the cans. It could be mounted on the boat easily and removed if you didn't need it. You can even lock the cans in the rack if needed. Something like this; https://www.blowsion.com/fuel-jug-rack-dual

Why not get something like this? Put a quick disconnect in your fuel line and transfer to portable if and when needed.

D6FF4994-7C39-4DB6-9B4E-7AB2961C6BB9.jpeg

Thanks for the ideas. I like the racing cans with the smaller footprint. The extra boat tank might be possible also. If I come up with anything I’ll post some pics.

There are some reservoirs in the midwest that are pretty long. You can leave the last gas stop and head out far enough where your turn around is a guess on having enough fuel to make it back. Even 5 extra gallons would be a huge insurance policy!

Ive gone 32 miles past the last has pump and had about 35 miles or so to make it back to the dock after hours and came in in fumes. I could make it farther by driving “sensibly” all day but lets be real here...that isn’t happening!

How do you plan to add the fuel? My boat wont let you add gas from a can without making a mess.
I have a 12 volt pump I use with a smaller fuel line.

Super siphon!

Looks like the hose included with the VP cans takes care of the issue as well. I also notice they are advertised as racing or offroad only and not for on road vehicles meaning they probably dont meet the new regs meaning they probably actually work!

Looks like the hose included with the VP cans takes care of the issue as well. I also notice they are advertised as racing or offroad only and not for on road vehicles meaning they probably dont meet the new regs meaning they probably actually work!

Correct on the regs, but I use a race fuel jug all the time. I use a small funnel to get past the epa required vent flap or I’d have fuel pushing back out like others have issues with. Easy peazy ...

After trying lots of different gas containers, I now only get Wavian jerry cans. If you look on YouTube, you'll see videos of the cans being tested by driving on them with jeeps, burning them, dropping them, etc. Heck, you can probably get one that matches the color of your boat! Although, right now they seem to be sold out!

They also provide a holding frame that you can bolt somewhere.

I don't carry extra gas on my boat - my tank holds 61 gallons, so I'm good for a while. But I will second the vote for Super Siphon. I use it all the time when I top off my boat from my jerry cans.

(We live on the Gulf coast, so I keep 60 gallons of ethanol free gas that I rotate through my boat and yard equipment. I also have a 50-gallon propane tank to extend my dual-fuel generator. After Hurricanes Harvey, Ike, etc - we've tried to have a certain amount of preparedness!)

Wavian1.pngWavian2.png

Correct on the regs, but I use a race fuel jug all the time. I use a small funnel to get past the epa required vent flap or I’d have fuel pushing back out like others have issues with. Easy peazy ...

whats easy peasy is taking your filler neck off and removing that flapper...

Tin Diesel ,
Ive looked at them also. I like the bracket but would fab one out of aluminum vs a steel one. There are some pretty good thread in funnels/hoses for jerry cans out there.

My favorite fuel can is back in stock... just in time for hurricane season!

Screenshot_20200729-162228_Gmail.jpg

A Jerry Can with an EPA approved spout just isn't right.

Jerry Can with an EPA approved spout just isn't right.

Yeah, I agree. Imagine that thing on the back of a jeep in WWII!
I bought one of these spouts for the few times I'm not using my super siphon. Also sold by Wavian.
(just for the record, I have no affiliation with Wavian - I just like well built things!)

Oh... and Wavian is already sold out of the fuel cans...
1596130121787.png

Back