Catalog Mistake ?

Jack M

Reaction score
When I ordered my Bennington S series 2/27/13 ,I did not request Tilt Steering because the catalog shows it as standard .Page 37 under Console line 7.

The dealer also told me it was standard .

After the incident with the portable cup holders ,I called Bennington a second time today .

They told me that yes tilt steering is standard and this time the website is wrong .

Not 5 minutes later ,my dealer called me and told me that he and the catalog are wrong , and tilt steering is an option .

Does anyone know who is correct ?

I just want my boat built correctly .

RESOLVED by Bennington . Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
My steering on my 2012 2075GLI came standard with tilt steering not ordered came that way. Hoss

I appreciate the reply ,how ever your G series is quite an upgrade over the S series .

I am going to make a visit back to the dealer this weekend .

I have a 2012, 24SSL, and my recollection was the tilt steering was an upgrade.

Regardless, I think you have legit beef to have the dealer throw it in for free. He told you it was standard, you ordered, then he told you it was an option. I know what I would do!

RESOLVED

I ordered a 24SSLX and was also told by my dealer that Tilt is standard. I sure would rest easier if TB would chime in on this thread and confirm for us.

I'm sure they will get it staightened out (no pun intended) as it's just the wheel helm base that would need to be swapped out. Easy fix........

I'm sure they will get it staightened out (no pun intended) as it's just the wheel helm base that would need to be swapped out. Easy fix........
Oh who ya kidding? Of course there was a pun intended!! Hehe

Just checked our build sheet for our 2012 Bennington 22SSI, we took delivery in June 2012. Yes the Tilt Steering was an option! It was included as a boat show special!

RiverBill

RESOLVED

I ordered a 24SSLX and was also told by my dealer that Tilt is standard. I sure would rest easier if TB would chime in on this thread and confirm for us.
RESOLVED

So far I have seen you complain about two mistakes, and are now on the verge of, well, I don't know what, about what I feel are fairly minor items. Cupholders? Tilt steering? Are these really that important? Doe it somehow diminish the quality of the boat? Or are you going after "the principle of the thing?" Or is it that you are truly having 'buyers remorse' or second thoughts about buying the boat to begin with?

Everyone makes mistakes. I am sure you have made your share in your lifetime, as have it. Bennington is a straight-up company, as you can plainly see with how they handled your cup holder situation.

I really think you need to lighten up and enjoy this whole experience a whole lot more. If you really can't, then cancel the order and go to a company who has no mistakes in their catalog.

I simply want to be sure I have it. My wife and I sit very differently and like the steering wheel in very different positions (car and boat). My Dealer and Bennington have been great, so I am not concerned it would get rectified, but I'd prefer it be there when it shows up!

So far I have seen you complain about two mistakes, and are now on the verge of, well, I don't know what, about what I feel are fairly minor items. Cupholders? Tilt steering? Are these really that important? Doe it somehow diminish the quality of the boat? Or are you going after "the principle of the thing?" Or is it that you are truly having 'buyers remorse' or second thoughts about buying the boat to begin with?

Everyone makes mistakes. I am sure you have made your share in your lifetime, as have it. Bennington is a straight-up company, as you can plainly see with how they handled your cup holder situation.

I really think you need to lighten up and enjoy this whole experience a whole lot more. If you really can't, then cancel the order and go to a company who has no mistakes in their catalog.
RESOLVED

I sounded a lot more "judgemental" in my post than I intended. My main thrust was that you should enjoy this experience! Don't let the little stuff get to you. They will fix it until you are satisified. That is the Bennington experience.

And vent away. :)

Hi JSFB,

Please accept our apology for the printing errors in our brochure. Both the tilt steering and the portable cupholders are optional on the S series. Stainless-ringed cupholders positioned in the console and stbd corner are standard. Please send TB a personal message with your orders details and the name of your dealership and salesperson. TB will be sure the Bennington RSM for your area is in the loop so you get what you expect at the price you expect. The BYB feature on the website is correct, and it is what dealers use to price and order boats from Bennington.

We do catch errors in the brochure and correct them for future reprints. (We reprint several times a year.) TB has caught an item or two, as well. We offer more models, more options and more choices than any boat manufacturer in the business today, and we believe it is what helps drive our popularity among consumers, but that amount of complexity can come with an occasional mistake on our part. We believe we have published the most beautiful brochure in company history and we feel terrible when we catch a mistake. We are truly sorry to have disappointed you during a time that should be exciting and positive.

As a side note, It is not uncommon for a Bennington dealer, along with his RSM, to develop a unique option package for a specific area. Suddenly, what is an option becomes part of a "package" that a dealer offers as standard equipment.

TB

I sounded a lot more "judgemental" in my post than I intended. My main thrust was that you should enjoy this experience! Don't let the little stuff get to you. They will fix it until you are satisified. That is the Bennington experience.

And vent away. :)
I don't believe that you were judgmental .

RESOLVED

Hi JSFB,

Please accept our apology for the printing errors in our brochure. Both the tilt steering and the portable cupholders are optional on the S series. Stainless-ringed cupholders positioned in the console and stbd corner are standard. Please send TB a personal message with your orders details and the name of your dealership and salesperson. TB will be sure the Bennington RSM for your area is in the loop so you get what you expect at the price you expect. The BYB feature on the website is correct, and it is what dealers use to price and order boats from Bennington.

We do catch errors in the brochure and correct them for future reprints. (We reprint several times a year.) TB has caught an item or two, as well. We offer more models, more options and more choices than any boat manufacturer in the business today, and we believe it is what helps drive our popularity among consumers, but that amount of complexity can come with an occasional mistake on our part. We believe we have published the most beautiful brochure in company history and we feel terrible when we catch a mistake. We are truly sorry to have disappointed you during a time that should be exciting and positive.

As a side note, It is not uncommon for a Bennington dealer, along with his RSM, to develop a unique option package for a specific area. Suddenly, what is an option becomes part of a "package" that a dealer offers as standard equipment.

TB
Thank You .The PM is on its way .

If you need more information please let me know .

Once again Thank You for your time and help.

I don't believe that you were judgmental .

At this point it is the dealer taking the hit for the bill ,and I really don't believe it is his fault .

I will be curious to see what happens at the Bennington meeting ..

If it was my company I would just include the mistakes on the prior orders without a price increase .On new orders just raise the list price $250.00 to cover it.( if there are only the two )

There are a lot of people that use the catalog to figure out what to order ,and if the dealers were also misinformed .This would avoid a publicity fiasco .

I am sure that way would be less than printing new catalogs .
Can't say I understand why you would care what happens at this "meeting" its Bennington's company, they became the best because they know how to run it. I guess I'm just still lost why after everything being worked out for you, it seems like (for lack of a better term) you still have an attitude about it. Don't worry about your dealer, he's still making money on the deal. I would far from say it is a "publicity fiasco" it is a few simple mistakes. That I may remind you Bennington has the option of saying too bad so sad for you, but they aren't, they are doing everything they can to try to make it right for you, yet it seems like it still isn't enough. When you look at the entry model pontoon of any manufacturer, you are getting a far better boat. Well with that great build quality and design and feature list comes a price. Bennington can not "just raise it $250" because that may very well make someone decide to buy a different brand. Maybe that person could care less if they have a portable cupholder and don't see any added value. They spend a lot of time figuring out what to include, for the right price, in a base model boat. Probably because they also know that once you have a Bennington, you will buy another. They are that good. Your dealer should have known and told you up front, it would have saved all this. Granted its disappointing to all that there is a mistake in the catalog, no one more than Bennington, they take pride in what they do and it shows in their workmanship. Sorry, just thought this was done with and you were satisfied.

Back