Center pontoon storage

SML happy

Reaction score
My first post
Maybe this was talked about and addressed by another but.....Since I’ve seen several discussions I want to add mine. I’ve ordered a new L series and the optional center storage which is about 1k to put the hole in my boat. I don’t understand the logic in placing slots in the cover.
I have owned a Sea Ray with center storage in that V-hull, which is equipped with a hatch that fits into a grooved recess. This had a drain hole which went to the bilge. Everything stayed dry, no water, no mildew.
When I asked about the slots in Bennington’s, I was told it was for ventilation to prevent mildew!??. How about No Water, No Mildew! Having fun, swimming, and even hosing down the boat is going to put water down those holes!
Now, for the kicker. I have a friend with an older Bennington with center toon storage and it is similar to my old Sea Ray. Solid hatch, drains to the stern bilge and pump. He couldn’t believe when I told him about my boat.
Once again progress takes a giant step....backwards. Thanks for letting me vent, hopefully someone from Bennington reads our posts.

They told you right, the center storage collected water and they changed the cover to allow more air flow since the pump can’t get it dry on its own. That is one of the reasons I opted out for center storage. I do not want to worry about that. My dealer advised against getting it unless I absolutely needed the storage.

My first post
Maybe this was talked about and addressed by another but.....Since I’ve seen several discussions I want to add mine. I’ve ordered a new L series and the optional center storage which is about 1k to put the hole in my boat. I don’t understand the logic in placing slots in the cover.
I have owned a Sea Ray with center storage in that V-hull, which is equipped with a hatch that fits into a grooved recess. This had a drain hole which went to the bilge. Everything stayed dry, no water, no mildew.
When I asked about the slots in Bennington’s, I was told it was for ventilation to prevent mildew!??. How about No Water, No Mildew! Having fun, swimming, and even hosing down the boat is going to put water down those holes!
Now, for the kicker. I have a friend with an older Bennington with center toon storage and it is similar to my old Sea Ray. Solid hatch, drains to the stern bilge and pump. He couldn’t believe when I told him about my boat.
Once again progress takes a giant step....backwards. Thanks for letting me vent, hopefully someone from Bennington reads our posts.
Guess what? I think they are back to solid covers. Not sure if the ring around it drains to the bilge or what but just got mine and it is solid.1612905410164.jpeg
I had been wondering about that too. I saw others with the solid lid too.

I wonder if I could order a replacement cover?

I wonder if I could order a replacement cover?
If you look into this, please report back on what you are told. I’d be curious, and probably a few others too.

If it’s the same size check the parts department at your dealer or tell them it should be covered under warranty since it has holes in it from the factory... ;)

That’s too funny! I might just try this.

My first post
Nice to see another from SML.

Guess what? I think they are back to solid covers. Not sure if the ring around it drains to the bilge or what but just got mine and it is solid.View attachment 28816
Thanks for the info and pic. Calling my dealer today. Semper Fi, my brother. 64-68. Oohrah!

The hatch is not watertight so even without the slats water will get in and mold city. Unless Benny has redesigned the hatch with a channel under the lid and drains away from the storage unit.

Also you may put wet things in there such as mooring cover, PFD, dock lines etc. so I would caution assuming that a solid lid will be a panacea. There is no other bilge to drain to, and the bilge pump won't get 100% water out and certainly not dry out wet things. May want to have some boxes of Damp Rid down there.

I have moisture in my locker all the time, but I only store stuff I either won't mind getting moldy or does not readily grow it. When the mooring cover is on I leave the hatch open to ventilate. Storage is still unbelievably worth it and would be a major PITA without (at least for me).

We have a real problem with mold in the center storage because of the humidity in KY. It's a hundred + degrees under the cover and the center toon is sitting in 70 degree water. Condensation collects and pools in the storage. We only long term store skis and pour some shockwave in the storage every month.

Guess what? I think they are back to solid covers. Not sure if the ring around it drains to the bilge or what but just got mine and it is solid.View attachment 28816
I did a search for various 2021 L series with the center storage. About 80% of the photos had the slats, the others solid. I have no idea the rhyme or reason. My only "guess" is they switched over to the solid mid 2021 production..but thats a WAG

We will see what mine has when it comes next month...being built now...finally!

FWIW, I leave our hatch open under the lift to keep it aired out. We've never needed to use the sump yet, but it's an easy fix to make sure there's some air movement. I might get a battery-powered fan to help air out after we get caught in our first rainstorm.

I installed a suction pump in parallel to the bilge pump in the far rear of the compartment. It sucks all the water out that the bilge pump doesn't. When the playpen cover is going to be on for a while I put an absorption sock in front of the deck hatch so any water running from the front deck and under the door gets absorbed by the sock or runs around it and bypassing the hatch door. This has eliminated all the mold in the center toon.

I installed a suction pump in parallel to the bilge pump in the far rear of the compartment. It sucks all the water out that the bilge pump doesn't. When the playpen cover is going to be on for a while I put an absorption sock in front of the deck hatch so any water running from the front deck and under the door gets absorbed by the sock or runs around it and bypassing the hatch door. This has eliminated all the mold in the center toon.
Great idea - when you say parallel do you mean the additional pump is separately switched? Sorry I'm not up on my electrical lingo. And any thought to just sub out the OEM pump for just the better design?

Thanks

I spliced into the factory pump wiring and so they both run at the same time. The factory installed pump is a higher volume pimp so it helps if you have a lot of water in the compartment. Also found that when the factory pump runs it leaks back into the compartment around hole where the outlet tube or wiring exits the compartment, don't remember which one it leaked around. I sealed this with silicone so it doesn't leak back in when running.

I spliced into the factory pump wiring and so they both run at the same time. The factory installed pump is a higher volume pimp so it helps if you have a lot of water in the compartment. Also found that when the factory pump runs it leaks back into the compartment around hole where the outlet tube or wiring exits the compartment, don't remember which one it leaked around. I sealed this with silicone so it doesn't leak back in when running.
What a great solution! Do you know the brand/model of suction pump you installed?

SEAFLO 12V DC 1.2 GPM 35 PSI 21-Series Diaphragm Water Pressure Pump for Marine Boat RV Caravan ~ $30. Available on Amazon and most marine supply stores.

Here is a kit with a timer and all the parts you need for installation. It uses the pump listed above. http://www.drybilgesystem.com/ ~$400

Just be sure to use a waterproof fuse holder for the pump and waterproof all electrical connections. On my tune there was a bracket in the rear of the compartment to mount the pump.

Back