Ceramic coating.

Definitely doable! Just take a cloth diaper or anything lint free and apply it by wiping in one motion and overlapping as you go. They give you good directions on the can. The only reason why I removed Sharkhide in the past was because it looked like crap below the water line so I removed it all gave it a good cleaning and then re-applied it. Do two or three coats so you're assured of not missing anywhere....
Good grief. Sounds like I’ve avoided something pretty simple this entire time. On the other hand, my pontoons continue to look pretty darn good, so no harm no foul.

Thanks for the heads up, advice and instructions!

Who's familiar with the ceramic coating of pontoons?!? There's a new detail shop that opened up near us. They'll detail anything and everything! Anyway I saw the sign for ceramic coating. So I went in and asked about the process (Very similar to Shark hide) and of course the price to do 3 entire pontoons. She quoted me....... $80-$100 a foot!!! Holy crap! She said that it will last 5 years! Thoughts?!?
I have had my last 2 Benningtons coated with the optional shark skin and I think that is awesome. The toons stay bright and shiny all season, season after season.

Good grief. Sounds like I’ve avoided something pretty simple this entire time. On the other hand, my pontoons continue to look pretty darn good, so no harm no foul.

Thanks for the heads up, advice and instructions!
BigKahuna's Advice is right on !

I've reapplied it twice myself with a soft cloth (like a cloth diaper). Piece of cake! Since I was in a wet slip for the first 3 years of my boat's life before moving to a lift you can see a bit of a water line, but I have no other discoloration. Count me as a big fan, and the ability to easily reapply it is a big plus.

I will say, we are going on year 5 and above the waterline, other than a couple scuffs from fenders (don’t let them hang down where they touch toons) and some minor scratches here and there, our toons still look new from the Sharkhide.

It’s your style of boating that protects you Semper Fi; a rolling stone gathers no moss
But that’s 500 hours of slow rolling ... ;)

I've reapplied it twice myself with a soft cloth (like a cloth diaper). Piece of cake! Since I was in a wet slip for the first 3 years of my boat's life before moving to a lift you can see a bit of a water line, but I have no other discoloration. Count me as a big fan, and the ability to easily reapply it is a big plus.
What quantity of Sharkhide do you need to cover a 23ft tritoon with a couple coats ? Reading this has me convinced I should put it on when my new boat arrives in April before it even hits the water. Also is there any downside to it? Any discoloration if I don't do it correctly? Thanks

Yea, toons will start to oxidize and turn a grayish color. I think it’s only a one coat application and you want to make sure you don’t miss a spot. You’ll know in 6 months if you did.
My last B was a demo when we bought it. 1 year old, toons looked 10 years old. 2017 boat looks almost brand new going on 5th season.

What quantity of Sharkhide do you need to cover a 23ft tritoon with a couple coats ? Reading this has me convinced I should put it on when my new boat arrives in April before it even hits the water. Also is there any downside to it? Any discoloration if I don't do it correctly? Thanks

Ask dealer to add to build. Probably cheaper and definitely easier to let them do it at factory. Some toons supposedly get it anyhow depending on the delivery time and area.
If your intent on doing it call them and they will help you out with all you need to know.
Good people from all I’ve heard.

1 quart does all toons. Make sure they are clean and dry and overlap as you go. Semp is right. If you miss an area. You will find out! If it's not too late to add to your build let the factory do it. Well worth it!

Question for all the Benny owner who had Sharkhide applied at the factory... After watching the YouTube videos from Rex Bauer on Sharkhide; it got me questioning whether or not, Sharkhide was applied to the motor pod and ladder at the factory as well (since it comes in contact with water)? Any experience with oxidation in those areas?

Second question... Is there any downside with applying Sharkhide to other areas of the pontoon? For example, the aluminum skirt between the pontoon and deck and/or the aluminum trim around the deck? This is my first, and last pontoon and want to keep it looking new as long as possible.

Question for all the Benny owner who had Sharkhide applied at the factory... After watching the YouTube videos from Rex Bauer on Sharkhide; it got me questioning whether or not, Sharkhide was applied to the motor pod and ladder at the factory as well (since it comes in contact with water)? Any experience with oxidation in those areas?

Second question... Is there any downside with applying Sharkhide to other areas of the pontoon? For example, the aluminum skirt between the pontoon and deck and/or the aluminum trim around the deck? This is my first, and last pontoon and want to keep it looking new as long as possible.
I would also love to know these answers and will add a third question...how does one apply the Sharkhide to the areas which are in contact with the trailer bunks?? Thanks!

I would also love to know these answers and will add a third question...how does one apply the Sharkhide to the areas which are in contact with the trailer bunks?? Thanks!
My marina in Virginia and my dealer here in NC have lifts where you park your trailer underneath and it connects to/picks the boat up by the deck so you would have full access to all 3 toons. If not just Sharkhide what you can reach.....

Yea, toons will start to oxidize and turn a grayish color. I think it’s only a one coat application and you want to make sure you don’t miss a spot. You’ll know in 6 months if you did.
My last B was a demo when we bought it. 1 year old, toons looked 10 years old. 2017 boat looks almost brand new going on 5th season.
Is that the fifth season without any re-application, or 5 years with an annual application, or? LOL, details, details....

Is that the fifth season without any re-application, or 5 years with an annual application, or? LOL, details, details....
I just completed my 4th season with my 2017. Had sharkhide straight from the factory. My pontoons still look good. I have never reapplied it, but am looking to do so this season or next.

I just completed my 4th season with my 2017. Had sharkhide straight from the factory. My pontoons still look good. I have never reapplied it, but am looking to do so this season or next.
Wow, ok sold.... adding to my build! Thank you for sharing!!! Benny people rock!!

Back