Ceramic coating.

For all of you with Sharkhide do you have your boat on a lift, trailer, or leave it in the water? I thought people were saying if you leave it in the water for the season it isn’t as good. Anybody do the 3M film coating? Any thoughts or pros/cons between one or the other?

For all of you with Sharkhide do you have your boat on a lift, trailer, or leave it in the water? I thought people were saying if you leave it in the water for the season it isn’t as good. Anybody do the 3M film coating? Any thoughts or pros/cons between one or the other?
I would be interested in knowing as well what others experiences are with the vinyl wraps and pontoon guards. I was offered a Vantage pontoon wrap and guard from the dealer but declined because it was expensive and I wasn't sure how durable it was.

The manufacturer says if you leave it in the water, it might last 6 months, or maybe longer, but due to the unknowns of the water, it won't last nearly as long, water line down, dependent upon what's in your water. Out of the water storage it lasts years.

The manufacturer says if you leave it in the water, it might last 6 months, or maybe longer, but due to the unknowns of the water, it won't last nearly as long, water line down, dependent upon what's in your water. Out of the water storage it lasts years.
I thought all of this had a familiar ring...it does for good reason. Although it's not easy to find out what Sharkhide actually has in it, there are ways... Below is a link to pros who know many coatings very well. The primary difference for that resin coating is in the solvents used to orient it toward use on bare metal.

The coating may be called a resin, a polymer, an acrylic or a ceramic (ceramic, ha, that's a stretch), however they all have limitations that need to be understood. Below is a point I lifted from another pro:

Sharkhide is a clear film type of product that will stand up to washing. Its intended application can be a little bit touchy; if the film is not applied well, and dried well, we've seen instances posted here where it came off. Well applied the purpose is to retain a shine/sheen to the parent metal. Downside of Sharkhide or any other film;once the film is breached, chemically, galvanically, or mechanically- it them promotes a crevice cell corrosion by trapping water inside the film. Do it right, tight and correctly - or don't do it at all.

The point is these coatings can last a very long time on a properly stored static display...otherwise, they need to be used in conditions for which they are designed and refreshed commensurate with exposure. Anyway the reason this had a familiar sound is that I "refurbished" faded gelcoat of our 1998 fiberglass I/O with a resin/acrylic some years ago (don't remember how many). However I used a method brought to my attention by some RV'ers and other boaters. They, instead of using one of the various high-cost products targeted to RVs or boats, used what is in the link below (there are others):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zep-Wet-Look-Floor-Polish-128-Ounces-Long-Lasting-Shine/38472841?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222026489500&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10355056676&wl4=pla-4578160304572762:aud-807615483&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=38472841_10001066316&wl14=Zep wet-look floor polish&veh=sem&msclkid=0de6767e63f017f6b0e0165f4c676a38

Our I/O has been on a covered lift for years with the usual use and abuse (always run hard, put away wet). The coating has not been reapplied in over two years and reapplication is overdue. Actually to show the boat the love it deserves I should strip the old and put on all new coats. But, I will use the same stuff again...it's that good!

Anyway the point is, regardless of advertising hype, all of the coatings have limitations. Be sure to use them properly and be willing to buy into the longer term commitment.

Last edited:
I would be interested in knowing as well what others experiences are with the vinyl wraps and pontoon guards. I was offered a Vantage pontoon wrap and guard from the dealer but declined because it was expensive and I wasn't sure how durable it was.
DD, type in "Vantage" in the search box at the top of the page and you'll find several posts regarding same. The 11/7/2019 post "My First Pontoon, ..." has a picture of my Vantage wrapped toons. No problems thus far for me.

To answer some questions above about Sharkhide...

My 2017 Bennington first sat on a lift (2 seasons), and now sits up out of the water on Sea Legs (2 seasons). Has its entire life, and it is stored indoors in the off season. Thus, my original sharkhide going on its upcoming 5th season and still looking good is also based on it rarely sitting in the water when not in use. That combined with water conditions are major factors on how well it holds up over time.

I was looking into Vantage Guard this past September, but my dealer told me that it is only put on from the water line up. Does that sound correct for those that have it? Now admittedly that is all I will see when in use. However, with it out of the water dockside when not in use, I’d prefer to see fairly clean, if not shinny, pontoons all the time.

Thus, for now, I have held off on the Vantage Guard due to that and it’s basically $2k cost. I do like the extra coverage for scrapes it would provide just above the water line, and it does allow some cool color choices to personalize the upper half of the pontoons. That can be neat! However, not sure on its below the water line protection or coverage which given its price tag has kept me away so far.

Last edited:
I was looking into Vantage Guard this past September, but my dealer told me that it is only put on from the water line up. Does that sound correct those that have it? Now admittedly that is all I will see when in use. However, with it out of the water dockside when not in use, I’d prefer to see fairly clean, if not shinny, pontoons all the time.

Thus, for now, I have held off on the Vantage Guard due to that and it’s basically $2k cost. I do like the extra coverage for scraps it would provide just above the water line, and it does allow some cool color choices to personalize the upper half of the pontoons. That can be neat! However, not sure on its below the water line protection or coverage which given its price tag has kept me away so far.
Jeff, you are correct that the Vantage Guard is only to the water line so it might look a bit funny when kept on a lift or sea-legs. However, in my case where she sits in the water all season, it doesn't bother me and in fact, covers the botched acid wash. Personally, I'd stay with the sharkhide and shiny toons but that ship has sailed for me.

Back