Changing rooms/portapotties

Do you have a changing room on your Bennington?

• Yes

Votes: 81 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 22.1%

• Total voters
Oh, and I have the $90 portapotty that came with the boat. Never been used. Way too many nooks and crannies to clean.

We have the storage but not the changing room curtain. Our lake is small enough that we can make it back to dock without the Portapotty.

Hopefully you have enough time to set that baby up before you really get the blues! or browns...

You're right.  It does take some setup time, maybe 5 minutes tops.  Still, since we bought from dealer stock, we didn't get the change to order a changing room and I think this is a perfect solution for anyone out of range of a marina.

We use a portapotti for all the boat camping we do, but never ON the boat. The only place I can fit it on the boat is under the helm anyway. The changing room has just become the place the life jackets go. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No insult to said wife, but I'll pass, thankyouverymuch!

I've looked at the height of those loungers and don't think a 5 gallon bucket will fit upright in there. A portapottie won't either, based on my eyeballing, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Good luck.
Just kidding about the picks. Haven't seen the boat long enough to see what fits. Not matter, it will be much improved.

I cut a three inch ring out of the center of a 5 gallon bucket. Threw the center ring away. Glued a toilet seat to the top section. With the center ring removed, the top piece now fits over the bottom piece due to the taper of the bucket. Put a bag in the bottom piece, wrap the sides of the bag over the lip like you would on a kitchen garbage can. Top piece with toilet ring slides over the bag and bottom piece. Sit. Poop. Tie bag. Pitch in dumpster at marina.

If you measure, you can make it short enough to fit under your lounger.
Thanks for the info. Remember seeing a similar setup on the net some time ago. I'll look into it before the thaw.

Might be mine... Was it a green Menards bucket?

Oops. That doesn't work either. Click the X in the upper right corner to stop the slideshow, then click the first pic to see the comments.

We can sometimes be 20 minutes from the nearest marina but have never had an issue. We have the changing room/curtain but use that area for toys, floats and such.

We generally jump in the water unless it requires paperwork. In that case we are either close to a marina or close to shore. The shorelines are tree lined with a pretty thick forest and very few houses. Many times we are near an island. If we know we are going to be there for more than 6 hours or so we'll plan ahead and I'll take an old folding chair with the bottom cut out, set it up in the woods in a secure area for paperwork. I don't leave landmines for the next guy either. We use what's called a cathole.

With what I know now I'd trade the L shaped couch in the back with the storage area for rear couches and center walkthrough.

Paperwork. Lol!

Where's the paper holder? What happens if the bag springs a leak? Who gets to take the seat off the (FRENCH PRONOUNCATION) "BUCKET"? I prefer to spend $90.00 that way all the right drain hoses are there to make an easy "movement" ( ha ha) off the boat into the proper receptacle.

Man love being the Captain of my ship.

Do the ports potties just dump into the lake? I know it's a stupid question.

LOL.  I think you are missing the boat...

I'm guessing you don't actually have the porta potty yet.  When I opened the box on mine, I took one look at all the nooks and crannies and corners and covers and lids and moving parts and compartments plus the plastic bag full of even more parts (some assembly required) and the sample bottle of liquid anti-stink that would no doubt stain my seats and floor a nice shade of dark blue if any of it spilled, and back in the box everything went.  No way was I dealing with all that crap.  Ha ha ha!

Simplicity is worth its weight in gold when it comes to cleaning a toilet.  The guys on the forum here recommended the Luggable Loo as an alternative.  But, it was 5-6 inches too tall to fit under my lounger.  I loved the idea compared to the porta potty which was now sitting in my garage.  No problem, I just copied the idea with a 5 gallon bucket, and made it shorter. 

There are no leaks if you get the bags Carl has recommended.  They come with a powder in them that will turn a half gallon of pee into Jell-O.  Don't eat it though.  But it won't leak.  It practically turns pee into a solid.  Just close the bag, tie a knot, and toilet is clean.  Drop a turd in the $90 porta potty and then come back and tell us how much fun that was to clean.  Again, you pee in the lake.  You poop in a bucket.  I guarantee you don't want to poop in the $90 porta potty unless it's about to go in the trash right afterwards.

I'd take the $90 back for my porta potti in a heart beat.

The porta potty doesn't have a paper holder either, LOL.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back