Charging batteries

Reaction score
We have our first boat coming around the first of march. It's a 2018 25ssbxp swing back with a yammie 200. It has duel batteries with master switch. The boat will stay on a buoy all summer. Do I need a battery charger? We will be out on the lake probably anchored most of the day with the music on and maybe late into the evening with every led option available. So new to this and just don't want to run my batteries dead. Thanks this forum has been AWESOME!!

You just have to make sure you've always got as full battery for cranking. If you're going to be using your boat a lot just keep alternating your battery switch so the motor keeps them topped off. The charger is really only needed if your boat will be sitting longer periods or if you want to make make certain the unused battery is fully charged for back-up cranking. You can run your boat battery switch on "both" when your running the motor but it will charge both batteries at a lower rate than using a single battery on 1 or 2. Then when sitting and running the stereo and such put it on 1 or 2 and hopefully the other battery will be fully charged or close to it. You don't want to leave the switch on both because obviously there's a chance of running both batteries down too low.

It gives me piece of mind to have this portable battery pack onboard, especially since I only have 1 battery. It has multiple features too. Had to use it once -- worked like a champ.

Jump pack or a solar trickle charger should be good.

I put a small solar panel also like mattb suggested and it worked well to keep a 2nd battery charged as we had no power on our dock.

Back