Check out ride tomorrow

Macon_a_Splash

Reaction score
Several of you helped me figure out what options I really NEEDED (translation, would regret not adding) as I figured out my build. I really appreciated the help. Hoping to tap into the brain trust again.

The boat is in and tomorrow is the big day - I have an appointment (scheduled weeks ago) to meet and go over the boat and pay the money. In talking with the dealer today he sounded really rushed. I want to be respectful of his time and reasonable in my expectations. I appreciate the fact that he and I will have a long term relationship here and want a pleasant experience on both sides of the transaction.

What should I expect as far as someone on his staff showing/explaining thngs on the boat and taking me on a checkout ride? Did any of you pay before taking a look at what you were buying?
Thanks!

Our salesman was great. Went over the entire boat at the dock. Lots of safety issues, switches on the dash dash, stereo, how to work the dual batteries, motor and maintenance issues, and break in procedure. We then went on a short ride on operating the boat. He then asked if we had any concerns about driving the boat. We were concerned with docking and he then gave my wife and me a great lesson on docking. We both took turns until my wife and I got it right. Probably spent 45 min to an hour out on the boat. Only thing I wish I would have asked more questions on was the Simrad and stereo. Very technical and confusing to me, who is not the most technical savvy guy. I feel that I can drop by the dealer early this summer and he or a technician will go over with the issues I'm having with both of the devices. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and don't make him rush you. You paid big bucks for your new boat, and you deserve to get all your questions answered. Congrats, tomorrow will be an exciting and fun day!

Don't be afraid to ask for bumpers, lines and life jackets. Two bumpers, 4 lines and 5pk of jackets. Then asked if we wanted more, and we said sure!

Our dealer, now Marine Max of Greenville SC formerly Halls marine, did the same as Ricks. Congratulations! Enjoy your new boat.

I think I remember Kaydano made some type of list on this, try searching or perhaps he will chime in

I knew more about the boat than the dealer so I just needed the keys!

Can't wait to see the photos!

As far as learning the Simrad. Find a "fisherman". Probably not a salesman. Unless he/she too is an avid fisherperson. Read over the manuals. Probably not much help really. You need your unit "dialed in". I have Lowrance Elite 7Ti w/Totalscan. It is a complicated unit to understand if you are "new" to boating or fishing. Lots and lots of settings. Depths, clarity, frequencies to scan on, updating maps, SD cards. Downscan, sidescan, 3-d imaging settings. Setting way points, etc. Best and only way to dial that sucker in is get on your favorite body of water that you "KNOW". Get in the middle, anchor....and start pushing buttons and see what happens. Even the screen brightness can be a bugger to adjust if your not use too it. Then troll speed around, see what effect the transducer is having. And the image on the screen. if you know of something submerged. ride over it. see if your scanner is picking it up. With mine. Now that I have it pretty much dialed in. If there was a sunken car on the bottom of the lake, I could actually see a car sitting on the bottom. It's that clear.....when dialed in properly and everything is set correctly. Start with the Simrad website and do a youtube search. Do a local fishing guide search. Hire one for the day. Just for the sole purpose of dialing in your unit. At least down here in Texas, guides actually have a "day rate" for helping newbies dial in their units. Texas has only 1 natural lake, all others are man-made. So lots of old stuff way down there! Old roads, old bridges, pipelines, small buildings, etc.

Congrats and enjoy the boat. The dealer should be willing to spend as much time with you as you need, so that you feel comfortable and knowledgable with your new purchase. A dealer that is only interested in selling boats and not in his customer's satisfaction will not be in business for long. The selling part is a 1 time commission. The money is in having the customer come back for service, off season storage, free advertising from your good reference, etc...

Our salesman was great. Went over the entire boat at the dock. Lots of safety issues, switches on the dash dash, stereo, how to work the dual batteries, motor and maintenance issues, and break in procedure. We then went on a short ride on operating the boat. He then asked if we had any concerns about driving the boat. We were concerned with docking and he then gave my wife and me a great lesson on docking. We both took turns until my wife and I got it right. Probably spent 45 min to an hour out on the boat. Only thing I wish I would have asked more questions on was the Simrad and stereo. Very technical and confusing to me, who is not the most technical savvy guy. I feel that I can drop by the dealer early this summer and he or a technician will go over with the issues I'm having with both of the devices. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and don't make him rush you. You paid big bucks for your new boat, and you deserve to get all your questions answered. Congrats, tomorrow will be an exciting and fun day!
Thanks, Rick. Sounds like your salesman was great!

I think I remember Kaydano made some type of list on this, try searching or perhaps he will chime in
I thought I had seen something from an earlier search, but couldn't find it yesterday. But since you narrowed it to posts from Kaydano, I found it. Thanks, Link! I'm not trailering the boat, so I left out some of the helpful info Kaydano posted about that. And I did already call my insurance agent to make sure the new boat is covered.

For others in the future who may ask, below is a cut and past of part of Kaydano's earlier post. Kaydano, if you read this, thank you!

Boat Inspection:

OPTIONS/UPGRADES:
Bring your option list (from Build a Boat) and use it to check that all options ordered are on the boat.

BOAT : Check above options, check for defects, check railings for sharp edges, check pontoon tubes for slag, look for metal drill filings, open/close all storage areas, changing room, open/close all gates, check captain seat adjustments, tilt steering, electrical circuits and switches, stereo/speakers, raise/lower bimini, check LEDs, bow lights, mast light, horn, spare keys, 12 V socket. Check all electrical items and anything that moves.

TRAILER: Make sure turn signals and brake lights work, test surge brakes, verify bunks and guides tight, all bolts tight, carpet/glides secure and complete, wiring attached securely

MOTOR: Size/model correct, check manufacture date, prop correct size/pitch/brand

TEST RIDE: Verify depth graph works, power trim/tilt, check steering (full left, full right, smooth operation), verify top speed was what the dealer told you, check anything else used while boat is in motion, check all electrical items. Check for vibrations.

PAPERS: Make sure you leave with all documents and manuals, including those for the motor and trailer.

As far as learning the Simrad. Find a "fisherman". Probably not a salesman. Unless he/she too is an avid fisherperson. Read over the manuals. Probably not much help really. You need your unit "dialed in". I have Lowrance Elite 7Ti w/Totalscan. It is a complicated unit to understand if you are "new" to boating or fishing. Lots and lots of settings. Depths, clarity, frequencies to scan on, updating maps, SD cards. Downscan, sidescan, 3-d imaging settings. Setting way points, etc. Best and only way to dial that sucker in is get on your favorite body of water that you "KNOW". Get in the middle, anchor....and start pushing buttons and see what happens. Even the screen brightness can be a bugger to adjust if your not use too it. Then troll speed around, see what effect the transducer is having. And the image on the screen. if you know of something submerged. ride over it. see if your scanner is picking it up. With mine. Now that I have it pretty much dialed in. If there was a sunken car on the bottom of the lake, I could actually see a car sitting on the bottom. It's that clear.....when dialed in properly and everything is set correctly. Start with the Simrad website and do a youtube search. Do a local fishing guide search. Hire one for the day. Just for the sole purpose of dialing in your unit. At least down here in Texas, guides actually have a "day rate" for helping newbies dial in their units. Texas has only 1 natural lake, all others are man-made. So lots of old stuff way down there! Old roads, old bridges, pipelines, small buildings, etc.
I have the Simrad as well. Think that will likely be the biggest learning curve for me. Good advice. Thank you!

Congrats and enjoy the boat. The dealer should be willing to spend as much time with you as you need, so that you feel comfortable and knowledgable with your new purchase. A dealer that is only interested in selling boats and not in his customer's satisfaction will not be in business for long. The selling part is a 1 time commission. The money is in having the customer come back for service, off season storage, free advertising from your good reference, etc...
Thanks, GWLK. I agree.

Most importantly is to take your time and remember no question is stupid. You might of just paid more for a boat then some do for cars! If you are comfortable presentation great if not adjust as needed. If you want to give them the check before the presentation that’s completely up to you. We spent an hour running around the lake and messing with everything we could. Free stuff is great but you satisfaction and confidence of the boat is more important! Enjoy your new Benny!! Pics are mandatory!

Nothing beats actually taking it for a ride. I'm surprised when I see people on here just do a look-over with the boat on the trailer, which is no way to really check out the systems. Press them to get it on the water where you'll have their undivided attention, then push every button, open everything possible, and ask every question that comes to mind. It's your best chance to learn as much as possible.

The salesman that took us out on the orientation ride was great. Very patient and took as long as we needed. Answered all my questions and we didn't feel rushed. Some things I wanted to learn more myself (stereo, fishfinder) but the basics of the boat were explained great. The salesman I liked a lot, the manager not so much.

Last edited:
The salesmen we have encounterred have been patient and very good. Ours went over every inch of it. My wife wanted it the second he accelerated. After all they also like getting out of the office or showroom....

Our experience was similar to Rick’s above. I had scheduled that type of orientation about a month in advance to insure expectations were met in that regard, and that time was set aside to do it. My dealer took us over the entire boat in the service center, then took us out on the lake and did pretty much the same there. Each of us drove while they talked us through things, and pointed stuff out. They “hung out” with us for about an hour on the boat. I wouldn’t do it any other way when getting a boat.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Great point regarding electrical/electronic systems; make sure you test them before leaving the dealership. Our lights didn't work but didn't find that out until we needed them!

Nothing beats actually taking it for a ride. I'm surprised when I see people on here just do a look-over with the boat on the trailer, which is no way to really check out the systems. Press them to get it on the water where you'll have their undivided attention, then push every button, open everything possible, and ask every question that comes to mind. It's your best chance to learn as much as possible.

The marine we have purchased from is over an hour from the water. I am sure if you pushed it they would deliver and take for a ride. They do a great walk through so it works. If I had never had a boat before, I might be intimidated. The majority of their customers pick up the boat and drive off with it with no boat drive.

Back