Choosing the right prop

Gastonguy

Reaction score
I am going to purchase a 2nd prop both to try and improve performance and for the much needed backup. With my current aluminum prop, i get a fair amount of slippage when you nail the throttle. Also seem to get some slippage in sharp turns. Perhaps this is common to outboards but I never experienced it with my 3 inboards. I am running a 250hp Yamaha SHO on my RCW 2275 and love the engine. Top speed so far is 45mph with ideal conditions. The engine revs to 5800 rpms at WOT. Any chance of getting less slippage with a SS prop or a different size?

I saw this posted awhile back. Maybe this can help. I am still a newbie and will be looking for a new prop in the future as well, so I am interested to see what others recommends for you.

New Mercury Props

Hi Gastonguy, The most important factor when proping a boat is the rpms at WOT. It looks like you are pretty good in that area. I am not sure that SS will help slippage. I am assuming ( hate to assume ) that what you are experiancing is ventilation. Aluminum props will flex when they are on high hp motors like yours. I would probably switch to SS at the same pitch, it might give you an extra mph or two. As far as ventilation is your motor mounted all the way down? Do you have 20" transon to match your 20" shaft motor?

Back