Cleaning Algea off of your Outboard

joeldp144

Reaction score
My Yamaha 115 outboard has been in the water all winter because I was concerned about freezing issues leaving it out of the water. It has gotten pretty gunked up with algea. How do you guys recommend cleaning it once I get it out of the water? I can obviously pressure wash it to knock off the visible areas, but I am mainly concerned about the interior parts that I can't see and that might restrict flow or inhibit performance. IMG_4295.jpg

Wow, that sure is a lot of build-up! And yes, I think you have reason for concern but I can't help you with a definitive answer but I'm sure someone on this board will chime in.

I would think if you’re going pull it that you could soak it in a 55 gallon drum or similar with some form of cleaner, I’d start asking the marina or dealer. I’m sure they’ve dealt with build up in the past. Just my 2 cents.

Does algae grow in the dark? You may not have much algae internally...

Last edited:
I'd power wash it off carefully and scrub what doesn't come off with a brush. Pretty much every boat with an IO at my marina looks like that. I wouldn't worry much about it.

Wet the area and then use a Magic Eraser. Had the same issue, tried many other ideas that didn't work. The Mrs. suggested I try using a Magic Eraser. I was shocked at how easily it removed all that gunk. I finish it off with a little spray on wax.

Wet the area and then use a Magic Eraser. Had the same issue, tried many other ideas that didn't work. The Mrs. suggested I try using a Magic Eraser. I was shocked at how easily it removed all that gunk. I finish it off with a little spray on wax.

Don't you hate it when the Mrs. is right!!!!!

The magic eraser will likely scratch your paint. Or dull it rather. Think of it as a super fine grit Scotch Brite pad, which is essentially what it is.

+1 with Big Kahuna

Back