Cleaning Aluminum toons?

Took one bottle of Mothers per tube, a little bit goes a long ways and I used only one double sided Wool buffer pad, I washed it out with clean water several times during the process as it clogged up over time. I have polished 2 separate pontoons, or four 22' tubes with the same buffer pad and it still looks like new other than a bit discolored after washing it up and drying it out.

I will probably polish the inside of the outer tube nose cones and the center nose cone at some point in the future so one could figure 3 bottles of mothers would be enough to do it depending on how one goes about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that seems easier than the Cotton pads and several different steps of rouge. 

Man exactly what I was thinking.  I absolutely killed myself using the rouge and cotton pads last spring (documented on here) however I was happy with the end results, too.  I am hoping not to have to do this ever again as long as I re-apply Sharkhide metal protectant every other year but if I ever do need to polish again I'll certainly try the Mothers and the wool bonnet.

Yep, it is like a clear coat for aluminum, but the other plus is if you do happen to keep it in the water for extended time the sharkhide keeps the biological critters from etching into the aluminum like it does to raw aluminum so it can be pressure washed and or easily wiped off versus the harsh acids and chemical cleaners and hard work scrubbing the bare aluminum clean every season.

I think what I used is a double sided wool disc and not actually a bonnet, I think a bonnet slips on over a pad, mine is one piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after a couple years or so, do you just use soap and water to wash off the pontoons, the re-apply the Sharkhide?  I am talking about pontoons that are already treated with it.  Thanks

Mother's aluminum polish is crap compared to other really good products on the market.  AutoGeek.net is a source for great detailing supplies for boats--and cars.

I was watching John Greviscus' Ship Shape TV this morning, and they were featuring a new sponsor's products--Marine31.com  The owner wrote the book on auto and boat detailing.  He has a great tutorial on polishing aluminum, and he sells what would appear to be first class products for polishing aluminum.  He also sells the really high quality dual action polishers and bonnets required to do the job.

Marine 31 has a metal sealer that sounds as if it's easier to use than Sharkhide.  If so, it may be worth a try.

I haven't seen ship shape for at least a year. What channel was it on?

Is this what the beginnings of tarnished toons looks like?

Yup, it's natural for aluminum.

ShipShapeTV.com indicates they can be seen on Dish Network, Direct TV, CSN-New England, FSN-South, SunSports (Florida) and FSN-Florida.  Mostly cable tv channels and it's available at different times during the week.

I always enjoy watching them do many tasks I'd love to do--but don't have time to do.

Since it has already begun to set in, I'll let  it go till this fall then get a buffer and shine 'em up and Sharkhide before storage then.

For a job like this - you NEED to use a Dual-Action polisher. It does the best job. 

If you don't have one for your car/boat, buy one - should be in every man's arsenal of tools :)

As Wild and Free stated - do not use the max speed or you will burn into your project - apply light/medium pressure. 

Question - What is the point of polishing them though? is there a benefit? 

Looks good !! 

Back