Cleaning and waxing side panels

1TOON3

Reaction score
What products are recommended for cleaning and waxing the color side panels. Would a good quality auto wax was do the job?

Do to concerns about the graphics tape being affected, most recommend a marine specific wax. I use meguirs myself and have never had a problem. Steve

Once or twice a season, or whenever you feel like it. :D

I just use the liquid car wash detergents when washing boats.

I just use a quality carnuba car wax on boats. Note: I don't use cleaner wax, as they have a polish in them.

I use carnuba car wax as well works fine

I was going to use Nufinish until I read the label, which states not to use it on vinyl, which I assume the graphics are vinyl.

I didn't read the NuFinish label and used it without having any problems. Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought the warnings on many waxes to "do not use on plastics/vinyls" was due to the wax turning white and being really hard to remove unless the surface was perfectly smooth. So, that could be the reason for the warning, and not that it would damage the vinyl.

+ 1 on Nufinish. It really lasts and I even use it on my trailer and other vehicles...........Then again I have tried a variety of waxes/polishes etc. etc. over the years and I am under the firm belief that as long as you regularly use "some kind of wax/polish on your vehicle, boat, trailer, jet ski, whatever the product........it'll keep it's luster/shine for years................I have a 2003 Chevy S10 w/188000+ miles that I use to commute to DC with every day before I retired. The champagne paint still gleams. I used the cheapy Turtle Wax paste on it for years. But I did it religiously and regularly!

If you're lazy or in a hurry or both, the new spray waxes work really well and are quick and easy. Steve
Not really either but I just don't want to apply something that's going to screw my boat up either. Until this thread I didn't even think you were SUPPOSED to wax the sides of our boats.

What about products to WASH the side panels first....when your boat is already in the water? Anything safe to use then, knowing it will go into the water?

I believe they make biodegradable boat soap.

I believe they make biodegradable boat soap.
Yeah they do I was just wondering exactly what brand people here are using.

My local Advanced Auto store has both that Eagle 1 spray wax and a biodegradable auto wash soap made by Turtle Wax so I'll pick them both up today and try them.

Back