Cleaning black algae off of the pontoons in the water ?

DanOnTheRiver

Reaction score
I live on the Hillsborough river in Florida and after being in the water for several months, I've noticed a heavy layer of what appears to be black algae and it does not easily brush off. Any suggestions on tools or special brushes that can be used in the water? I don't have a trailer so cleaning it out of the water will be difficult. I'm comfortable under water and have SCUBA gear. The hulls have not been treated with anything.

I get in the water and use a scotch bright pads ( the green ones) to clean my toons about every 60 days works great for me,

I do same, but usually every 2 weeks or so during middle of summer. Algae grows quick in our lake.

Are the green scotch bright pads too abrasive? Will scratch the pontoons?

Are the green scotch bright pads too abrasive? Will scratch the pontoons?
If you have polished toons I would not use it. you can try the fine ones they just cut the grim off slower, the finish looks the same color with either grade pad nice satin gray finish to your toons

THANKS !! I'll pick up some and give it a try.
Hey Dan we do the same thing with sponges, wash cloths, old socks, underwear, or rags. Anything you can use to get that stuff off. One member even uses those carwash mitts. We clean the water line every time we go out. I do have a suggestion. If you ever do get them clean and are able to take the boat out of the water look into a product called Sharkhide. It's an aluminum protectant that you apply on your pontoons to protect them. Now, that crap will still stick to it but it will be so much easier to wipe off. Ask me how I know....

After reading about "SHARKHIDE" I wish that I had applied it before I first put my new boat in the water. It sound great and the pictures and web site make it seem like a no brainer. Thanks for the tips..

BTW - My sister and brother in law have a summer place on Lake Norman.... What a beautiful lake !

After reading about "SHARKHIDE" I wish that I had applied it before I first put my new boat in the water. It sound great and the pictures and web site make it seem like a no brainer. Thanks for the tips..

BTW - My sister and brother in law have a summer place on Lake Norman.... What a beautiful lake !
It is Dan! If you're ever up this way let us know.....

Back