Cleaning carpet

Stowaway

Reaction score
I have 2008 GL2275 with carpet. Can anyone suggest a good soap or other type outdoor carpet cleaning product for to use on the carpet?

Thanks...

Just rent one of those carpet machines from Lowes or Home Depot.

When we first bought our Benny we called Stanley Steemer carpet cleaners and they met me down at our marina and they cleaned the entire carpeted area and the seats/upholstery. Although the previous owners kept it clean we wanted to give it a good thorough cleaning before using it because it sat for a season.........Almost 6 years ago that service cost us $58 and they did a fantastic job. You wouldn't believe the crap/dirt they pulled out of that carpet and it actually didn't look dirty at all....

Just rent one of those carpet machines from Lowes or Home Depot.
They work great! I had already bought a Rug Doctor from Costco before I got the boat and it was worth every penny when it came to cleaning up the mess the raccoons had left for me. I had the best results by heating water on the stove to around 180* before putting it in the machine.

I use a "Little Green Machine" by Bissel, they have one that has a heater and a power head, that's what I would buy next, super portable, although it is small so get some knee pads if your doing the whole carpet!! Or just use it for edges and spills after and do the rug doctor for a full cleaning.

Derrick, do you use a power inverter or do you have shore power ??

I agree with all of the comments on steam cleaners. We just cleaned ours yesterday with a home Hoover steam cleaner we have. Did a great job. I also keep a shop vac down at the dock in our dock locker just for spot clean ups whenever we pull in a bunch of sand (or Georgia clay!). I use shore power. I have a power inverter but have never tried using it.

Derrick, do you use a power inverter or do you have shore power ??
I'm in my driveway. I also have a Dewalt cordless vacuum as well, just uses an 18 volt battery pack, its a wet dry, haven't ried it yet.

I just picked up a cheapy 12v wet/dry vac at Bass Pro with a gift card. I'm hoping it at least picks up small stones that get tracked on toon and ill b happy for the price :)

Next will b the wash down hose.

Then I'll be able to just detail it out in the middle if the lake. Polishing might be a little cumbersome while floating in a life jacket ?????

Thanks everyone. Many options. I'm leaning toward scrubbing with solution of dish soap and warm water, followed by a power wash rinse, keeping pressure at 1700 psi or lower. Bennington says carpet is all synthetic and color fast and power wash is OK. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bennington says carpet is all synthetic and color fast and power wash is OK. I'll let you know how it goes.
Previously posted by Team Bennington: "CARPET TIPS:

Vacuum your carpet like you would your living room. Power washing is not recommended, since a strong blast can eat away the carpet tufts and weaken the carpet texture. For stubborn stains, pour warm soapy water directly onto the stain (be generous) and scrub with a brush to lift the stain. Let it air dry."

A power washer is not effective on the carpet. The pressure doesn't help. The issue is the water volume. The carpet is designed to soak up water and the 2.5 to 3 gallons a minute on the washer just doesn't work. A fire hose would work. :)

We soak the carpet with the garden hose and then use carpet shampoo with a deck brush, then we rinse and rinse some more. The steamer would be good but it doesn't get the carpet at the seat edge..

The steamer would be good but it doesn't get the carpet at the seat edge..
There's a hose/wand attachment on the Rug Doctors that gets the edges, you just have to use a hand brush if the carpet needs scrubbing.

Yep, as Remediation says, pressure from power washer didn't work. I then used carpet cleaning machine from Lowes with marginal results. Next is hands and knees scrub brushing.

I would disagree, I power washed my nasty carpet last fall before I sold the GillGetter and it looked like new when done, but it took lots of time, back and forth, in all directions, medium pressure tip, NO SOAP, and the carpet looked brand new when done .... maybe I was just lucky ???? :blink:

I didn't do this on my Bennington but I to used a power washer on my old pontoon boat ( a Lowe) and a friend's pontoon boat ( a Crest)...used the soap out of it first (at a car wash) and then just water to rinse and that carpet looked brand new afterwards so I disagree that the power washer doesn't work because I've seen it work with my own eyes. Unbelievable how much brighter the carpet was afterwards. Now maybe it's because other boats use cheaper carpeting and therefore a power washer works better?

By the way....if anyone get a carpet stain that is really hard to get out (boat, home, care) the best thing BY FAR that I have found is "Lifter 1." There is nothing better. You spray it on and watch the stain go bye bye. Before my wife and I met she had found it and used it on a wine stain on her carpet in her house that had been there for several years. Lifter 1 completely got rid of it. I swear I could be their spokesperson....it works that well. I used it this weekend on my Bennington as there was a large stain (have no idea even what it was or how it got there from last year) near the captain's chair that didn't come out with warm soapy water like TB recommends. I used the Lifter 1 and the only thing there now is the natural color of my carpeting. No fading, no bright spot.....perfect.

Good to know, thanks Keith!

Have to try and track that down Keith, I have two grease/oil spots that are driving me crazy. I was afraid of trying to clean them, and just make them worse.

I'll give your advice a try, once I find it ...... hopefully local.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have it at Wally World.

Back