cleaning carpet

smith772

Reaction score
I want to clean and rejuvenate the carpet in my new used Bennington the we just purchased. Is it OK to use a pressure washer and simple green. What are most of you using. It's not in bad condition but I want it to look new again. 

Some do, most wouldn't. A pressure washer will move the dirt around but not really get the carpet clean. I used a RugDoctor on my carpet after the raccoons were done with their party.  Turned out looking like new.

I wonder if renting a steam cleaner from a Box Store would do the trick ?

f762d94f-f73e-4566-8ae9-491e77145a35_1000.jpg

May be worth the small cost to own :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought mine from Costco when they had them. Since then, I've replaced all the carpet in the house with hardwood flooring but keep the RD just because it does such a good job on the boat.

Pressure washers don't work well.  They have high pressure but low volume of water.  The marine carpet soaks up the water like it should.  Don't use simple green on a boat.  It destroyed the top layer of my Vinyl. I had our carpet cleaner do the boat when he was at the house. Best $40 extra dollars I have spent.  

I decided against the Simple Green was afraid to fade the carpet. Going to wait and use a carpet cleaner like everyone recommended. Thanks for all the replies, great advice.  

I agree, the pressure washer doesn't work and you risk 'cutting' a line in the carpet....  The way to go is with a carpet cleaner. Use an enzyme based cleaning solution, the same stuff for pet accidents. Natures Miracle Advanced is what I use and have had great results. 

Rug doctor is the way to go! I used it on the old toon with carpet and I use it twice a year on the Bennington. And I really like the fact that my carpet snaps in and out.

I used a rug doctor too, but felt it was overkill on size and I had to get my wet vac out to do the knooks and crannies anyway.  Since that time, I find a spray bottle and the shop vac to be the lesser amount of work, time and cost.

10-20% bleach. A few drops of fish soap.

Ha ha. Dish. Auto correct got me.

I have a stand up Bissell for home use with the rotating scrubber, I clean 1 or 2 times a season works well.

I've got a rug doctor ,for the house ,but its too big and no electricity available .( probably takes too much for an inverter )

I rented a Rug Doctor from Lowes. Did a great job.

Did it fit between the seats ? I know our layouts are different . I thought about taking my generator out to the slip

Back