Cleaning Pontoons

gbpastor

Reaction score
Hi All!
The Lady Jane is now in dry dock for the winter. Everything is winterized and cleaned and polished except the pontoons. Any suggestions on cleaning them, especially the water line deposit/residue?

Attachments

• 1572726591715.png
    1572726591715.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 54
Power wash removes virtually all of my summer buildup. Others have gone to extreme measures to polish them to a mirror lie finish, if interested in that can use the search in the forum and see the steps. I also have shark hide applied every spring

Agree with Link. A good old fashioned power washing or an acid wash if they are really bad. But since Lady Jane is already blocked up inside I doubt you can do it where she sits....

Just make sure whoever does your acid wash knows what they are doing or you’ll be sorry like some others on the forum ... :(

Easiest and cheapest thing I have found is going to the dollar store and get what is called "The Worx" toilet bowl cleaner. Put it in a pump jug and spray it on the toons. You will see the junk running right off the toons. Pressure wash and all set. A lot cheaper then toon brite

Easiest and cheapest thing I have found is going to the dollar store and get what is called "The Worx" toilet bowl cleaner. Put it in a pump jug and spray it on the toons. You will see the junk running right off the toons. Pressure wash and all set. A lot cheaper then toon brite

I was not able to get the locally distributed mag wheel cleaner I have used every year for the last decade, so I gave "The Worx" a try. For me it was "The DOESN'T Worx." Tried it first cutting it 3 parts water to 1 part The Worx in a pump sprayer. It did absolutely nothing. Then I used it straight out of the bottle. Almost nothing came off. Oh well, I was only out a few bucks for 4 small bottles.

Ended up using Marykate Aluminex Bottom Cleaner. Cost me $22 after tax for a quart at my local mom and pop hardware store. The instructions said to cut it 1 part water to 1 part Aluminex and paint it on with a natural bristle brush. It was reasonably effective, but left a really uneven, blotchy finish (and was a PITA). So I put the next batch mixed the same way in my pump sprayer. Had to go back and get a second quart, but eventually finished to my satisfaction.

I see Aluminex is available on Amazon for $57.95 a gallon Amazon - Aluminex. I sure miss my regular stuff for $12.00 a gallon. Hope my local hardware store can get some back in.

I used a Chemical Guys Citrus Foam... in my Chemical Guys Foam Cannon attachment for my pressure washer. Worked great cutting the lake gunk. I use this same setup with different spray foams when washing my cars... does an outstanding job.

depends on boat size and what you get coated. if you do just the pontoons on a 25 foot boat, i'd say $1000 to $1200 for the 10 year coating. it's going to vary depending on who you use though.

Back