Cleaning Toons - looked through and have seen lots of discussion but

BamaAF

Reaction score
wondering if there is anything new out there - as far as I know, my 2005 tri-toon SS has never been acid washed - don't really know if I want to go that route or just use a pressure washer and get all the crud and waterline off (sits in the water from April 1 to end of Oct on clean lake, but still get's dirtry) -- I was bad/lazy this year and did not clean up when I took out (was about to get a knee replacement and just plain lazy) - now I've got to pay the piper and get it cleaned up -- getting seat covers and mooring cover made by local guy and then will detail boat and would like to at least get the tunes clean enough not to cause any performance issues (250 on it)). Thought about taping it up for protection and go with the toilet cleaner approach myself - and then polish up and maybe go with sharkhide protectant.

I acid wash my toons at the end of every season. I don't tape up anything. I apply the solution with a garden pump sprayer and it's not difficult to keep the spray away from the trim rail and everything above it. I have an aluminum trailer with aluminum fenders. I wet them down with plain water first and rinse them thoroughly after. I must not have done a good job rinsing one side one time because one of my fenders is now rusty.

I did a write up of my end of year routine here and it includes some details about my toon cleaning procedure. http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/winterized-tips.9402/#post-124761

Try Eagle 1 Mag Wheel Cleaner. It works! Do a Search up in the right hand corner for more info

Anyone on this thread that has blackout packages better tape up. The acid discolors the black anodizing.

I used to recommend Acid Wash, but I now have changed my mind.

Elbow grease and a 3m Red Pad much safer and will not build up and give your toons a bleached look.

I, too, like the 3M pads only I use them in conjunction with my battery powered orbital sander. No, they are far from polished. But it removes the discoloration caused by tarnish and waterline build-up. And it's pretty quick to do.

I do have the blackout package and it does discolor a little. I sprayed WD-40 on the black and everything is just fine, even when the WD dries.

I forgot, I use toon-brite for my toons!!

Back