Cleaning toons!!

Reaction score
Any advice on cleaning toons, I have the blackout package so I’m worried about the black right along the top of the toons. Also boat has been on a buoy about 5-6 months, they have been scrubbed several times but expecting them to be pretty bad! Thanks for any help!!!

I don't have the blackout package, but the piece (skirting) you are referring to is bolted on to the frame cross members. It can be removed with some 9/16 wrenches. I just did this when I cleaned my toons. There are a lot of different ways and products to clean your toons. I would pressure wash first, then use a cleaner if they aren't clean enough. Also, if you have shark hide on your toons they will likely clean with a good hand washing.

I don't have the blackout package, but the piece (skirting) you are referring to is bolted on to the frame cross members. It can be removed with some 9/16 wrenches. I just did this when I cleaned my toons. There are a lot of different ways and products to clean your toons. I would pressure wash first, then use a cleaner if they aren't clean enough. Also, if you have shark hide on your toons they will likely clean with a good hand washing.
Thanks!! Didn’t even think about removing the skirting.

No problem. Good luck getting the toons clean!!

I finally bit the bullet and polished my toons. A lot of work but turned out great! Taking the sharkhide protector off was a real pain and I would never put it on again. You can see the difference in the second picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0708.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 99
I finally bit the bullet and polished my toons. A lot of work but turned out great! Taking the sharkhide protector off was a real pain and I would never put it on again. You can see the difference in the second picture.
Good job ! Nice!

Looks great!! What did you use!

I used the Zepher Super shine polishing kit, I also bought an arbor extension for my 7” angle polisher.

Bob225,
Outstanding Sir! I've been polishing aluminum ever since Christ was a pup. Started '70 when I bought my first British motorcycle, a 1970 Norton Commando. Ever since, I've been polishing aluminum on anything I own. I've been taunting the idea of polishing my toons on our new to us, '14 Bennington 2550 RCL. The boat has only 29 hours on it at present. So, the toons are still pretty nice, in terms of no dings, scratches and all that. Now, you state you used the Zepher Super shine kit. May ask, just what does that "kit" consist of? And, what tools, polishers, bonnets, wool/foam etc. did you use? Did you use any course paste or just use Zepher? I've used Zepher and it's pretty darn good. I've used Semichrome, Mothers, Zepher and quite a few more.

I've used pastes, liquids, rouges, and gels. Polishing aluminum is an art. For the most part, it must be done in steps. This is why I ask you what equipment/tools/bonnets etc. you used. By the way, may I also ask, how long it took you to do one toon? I'd appreciate any advice here.
Scott

Hey Bob if you put the sharkhide over the polished toons does it retain the mirror finish?

Hey Bob if you put the sharkhide over the polished toons does it retain the mirror finish?
I won’t do the sharkhide again. the kit comes with a metal polish/protectant that I will use to keep them looking good. Sharrkhide is really only good if you trailer your boat or leave it on a lift.

Bob225,
Outstanding Sir! I've been polishing aluminum ever since Christ was a pup. Started '70 when I bought my first British motorcycle, a 1970 Norton Commando. Ever since, I've been polishing aluminum on anything I own. I've been taunting the idea of polishing my toons on our new to us, '14 Bennington 2550 RCL. The boat has only 29 hours on it at present. So, the toons are still pretty nice, in terms of no dings, scratches and all that. Now, you state you used the Zepher Super shine kit. May ask, just what does that "kit" consist of? And, what tools, polishers, bonnets, wool/foam etc. did you use? Did you use any course paste or just use Zepher? I've used Zepher and it's pretty darn good. I've used Semichrome, Mothers, Zepher and quite a few more.

I've used pastes, liquids, rouges, and gels. Polishing aluminum is an art. For the most part, it must be done in steps. This is why I ask you what equipment/tools/bonnets etc. you used. By the way, may I also ask, how long it took you to do one toon? I'd appreciate any advice here.
Scott

If you search the internet for the kit there are 2. One is an 8” and the one I selected is 10”. They are both the same but I went with the larger one. Smaller one will get into tighter spaces. Each kit has 3 wheels. Cutting, Seondary and finishing wheel and three rouge bars to apply to the wheel as the abrasive. Also comes with safety flanges and a final metal polish that is hand applied. I used a cheap (Harbor Freight) 7” variable speed polish/sander($30). You also need a buffing wheel rake to remove the rouge build up from the cutting wheels as you apply. You also use the rake to prep the wheel before the first use as it is very stiff. I also purchased a 2” extender so the wheel is away from the polisher. If you dont use it, the wheel will hit your hand. Buy a bag of rags or some old towels to clean up after each wheel. Use the acetone to remove the black oxidation.

I used the sharkhide pontoon cleaner first, then I used Lacquer thinner to try and remove the sharkhide protectant, I found acetone worked better but not all of it came off until I started with the cutting wheel. It took it off but gummed up the wheel and I had to clean it regularly. Before you use the wheel for the first time run it over the rake to loosen up the fibers and soften it up. You need to apply the rouge (its a hard bar) with the wheel running at high rpm so watch out it doesnt kick back as you apply it. Set rpm at around 3,000-3,200 rpm. Let the tool do the work don't push it into the metal. After you are done with all 3 wheels, apply the metal polish by hand and you are done.

PPE I used - Hearing protection, safety glasses and latex gloves. I recommend at least a dusk mask in a well ventilated area.

There are a few good videos on YouTube to show how to do this. There is an art to this and it took me a while to figure it out. First toon took me 6 hours and the other one about 4 hours. That’s prep, clean polishing and cleaning up afterword. Do it in the shade and not in direct sunlight.

Just as a side note, you do not use the flat part of each wheel like you would a buffer on a car, you actually use the edge.

Attachments

• DC757FE6-B8CD-4336-95AF-F63C21AE4FA3.jpeg
    DC757FE6-B8CD-4336-95AF-F63C21AE4FA3.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 3AB9463A-0872-4AB0-880B-350C34EA7ADF.jpeg
    3AB9463A-0872-4AB0-880B-350C34EA7ADF.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hey Bob,
I surely want to thank you immensely for replying in detail how you accomplished your polished toons. I understand all of it, and the precautions and steps. I will definitely look those kits up. I'm no stranger to bringing aluminum back from the dead. After a few dozen motorcycles, a thousand (almost exaggerating there) wheels, and many other seriously dull aluminum parts etc. I've got what it takes to make aluminum look pretty good. But, I'm always learning. And, doing "toons" is new to me. Below are a couple of pics of my accomplishments. The pics are of my wheels on our motorhome and, the results of about a 1/2 an hour of goofing around on our new Benny center toon. Thank you again.
Scott

Attachments

• P1030058.JPG
    P1030058.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 36
  • P1000531.JPG
    P1000531.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3354.JPG
    IMG_3354.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 46
Hey Bob,
I surely want to thank you immensely for replying in detail how you accomplished your polished toons. I understand all of it, and the precautions and steps. I will definitely look those kits up. I'm no stranger to bringing aluminum back from the dead. After a few dozen motorcycles, a thousand (almost exaggerating there) wheels, and many other seriously dull aluminum parts etc. I've got what it takes to make aluminum look pretty good. But, I'm always learning. And, doing "toons" is new to me. Below are a couple of pics of my accomplishments. The pics are of my wheels on our motorhome and, the results of about a 1/2 an hour of goofing around on our new Benny center toon. Thank you again.
Scott
Nice work... what is your method?

Phillip,
Thanks for the nice comments. As stated, been doing this stuff for literally decades. I've got a whole shelf in my garage with metal polishing pastes, liquids, rouges, pads, soft rags and more. The wheels you see are as stated, the ones on our motorhome. They weren't too bad when we purchased the coach, about 8 years ago. But, me being me, I wanted waaaaaaaaaaay nicer. So, all of that SHINE you see was done by hand, not any machine. I have experimented with many, many types and brands of aluminum polish. Semi-chrome was what I used waaaaaaay back a few thousand years ago on my Norton motorcycles. And, it's still a good polishing paste, even for most finish work.

But, I've also used Zephyr too. I originally got it from Costco on line 'cause, it was the only way to buy it. But, it's since been better marketed and, is available elsewhere. Mothers, so far, is my go-to paste, for ultra fine finishing. Mothers can be used with a machine or, by hand. As stated, those wheels were done, by hand, with Mothers. The center toon, mounting for that monster size 350HP Yamaha, was done with my drill motor coupled to an old, 4" wool bonnet that was originally intended for headlight polishing. All I did was squirt some Zephyr polish on that pad and, started spinning the drill, to see what would happen.

The more I did it, the shinier (is that a word?) it got. So, I did it a few times with the Zephyr and, then I used the same pad and put Mothers on it. It seems, as usual, that Mothers brought it up one step higher in gloss. Then, when done with the drill, I did it all by hand with Mothers. It's not perfect but, is SERIOUSLY better looking than any other part of any toon on that boat.
Scott

Phillip,
Thanks for the nice comments. As stated, been doing this stuff for literally decades. I've got a whole shelf in my garage with metal polishing pastes, liquids, rouges, pads, soft rags and more. The wheels you see are as stated, the ones on our motorhome. They weren't too bad when we purchased the coach, about 8 years ago. But, me being me, I wanted waaaaaaaaaaay nicer. So, all of that SHINE you see was done by hand, not any machine. I have experimented with many, many types and brands of aluminum polish. Semi-chrome was what I used waaaaaaay back a few thousand years ago on my Norton motorcycles. And, it's still a good polishing paste, even for most finish work.

But, I've also used Zephyr too. I originally got it from Costco on line 'cause, it was the only way to buy it. But, it's since been better marketed and, is available elsewhere. Mothers, so far, is my go-to paste, for ultra fine finishing. Mothers can be used with a machine or, by hand. As stated, those wheels were done, by hand, with Mothers. The center toon, mounting for that monster size 350HP Yamaha, was done with my drill motor coupled to an old, 4" wool bonnet that was originally intended for headlight polishing. All I did was squirt some Zephyr polish on that pad and, started spinning the drill, to see what would happen.

The more I did it, the shinier (is that a word?) it got. So, I did it a few times with the Zephyr and, then I used the same pad and put Mothers on it. It seems, as usual, that Mothers brought it up one step higher in gloss. Then, when done with the drill, I did it all by hand with Mothers. It's not perfect but, is SERIOUSLY better looking than any other part of any toon on that boat.
Scott

Good job!

Hey Bob,
Scott
Love that shine!

Back