Cleaning Toons

Dawg

Reaction score
Our pontoon stays on the water year round at our resort and develops thick lake scum that a power washer will not clean off.  Others at our resort have tried many different cleaners with not much success.  What has worked really well? 

Ours stays in the water all season long. I prevent this from happening by wiping all three toons off once a weekend. Takes about ten minutes at the sandbar and keeps them free of much of a build up.I have two mitts that I use to make it go faster. 

Yep even though ours is on a lift out of the water we still get a faint scum line that wipes right off with a microfiber towel or washmitt at the sandbar.  Takes just a few minutes to clean them....maybe it was the sharkhide that was applied at the factory who knows.  At any rate the toons still look pretty good for going on their 4th season....sure they have a little dock rash scratches where the sharkhide was scratched off.  Yes you can tell a difference on how well the toons look after a season or two if sharkhide was applied or not.  Guess I need a few new pics of the old girl after some time on the water to show how well it holds up.

Our pontoon stays on the water year round at our resort and develops thick lake scum that a power washer will not clean off.  Others at our resort have tried many different cleaners with not much success.  What has worked really well? 

Might have to have it acid washed at the end of the season..........

Wait until you see pictures of mine!

Are you going to do it yourself or have it professionally done? 

The first time I was going to do it myself but then I realized that all of that acid wash was going to get on the trailer plus the part of the toon that really needs it  is sitting on the trailer and can't get to it. So our Marina in VA hoisted it up and they had full unobstructed access to all 3 toons. A true acid wash cleaning!

Are you going to do it yourself or have it professionally done? 

Because I don't own a trailer, I paid my dealer to do it. What I got was not professional at all and now I have substantial damage to the anodized rub rail as well as the fence rail. This is going to cost someone a lot of money to remove and replace. Hopefully I won't have to take them to court!

Green and grundgy pontoons have got to be cleaned with acid based cleaners, like NAPA's aluminum brightner.  There are many different cleaners at boat dealerships  meant to be sprayed on with a yard sprayer, left on a couple of minutes and sprayed off with clean water.  The only problem is that they leave the aluminum finish very dull.  You've got to go back with a metal/aluminum polish and a dual action polisher to get the shine back.

Only problem is that the algae is going to come back if you leave the boat in the water.  And it can slow your boat down 8-10 mph when it gets thick.  There's no substitute for keeping a boat out of the water--either on a lift, in a boathouse or on a trailer in storage.

Back