Cleat Upgrade

DaveyJ

Reaction score
Due to rider complaints about stubbed toes over the last couple of years, last night I replaced the standard cleats on my boat with pull up cleats. I think they turned out good although I have to say it’s a touch nerve racking drilling holes in the rail. :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_7087.jpg
    IMG_7087.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_7089.jpg
    IMG_7089.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_7090.jpg
    IMG_7090.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Nice! Might have to do that to mine boat.

Looks very good and professional. We went with the pop-up cleats at purchase and love them - both on an aesthetic and practical level.

Very nicely done! Love the functionality of the pop up cleats

Huh. Never seen that one on this forum. Where'd you get the pop up cleats? How much? No one's ever stubbed their toe on our boat, but I've been waiting for that day to come... I'm intrigued by your upgrade... Looks great. Very practical...

Huh. Never seen that one on this forum. Where'd you get the pop up cleats? How much? No one's ever stubbed their toe on our boat, but I've been waiting for that day to come... I'm intrigued by your upgrade... Looks great. Very practical...
We get on the boat via the rear deck from our dock because the boat sits on sea legs which is what’s led to the toe issues. Bought the cleats from Gemlux, by the way, they are pull ups, not pop ups.

http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/deckhardware-cleats-cuttingedge/68502

All in I’m around $200 for the cleats and the drill bits I had to buy.

Love ours! I have pinched a finger though, so they aren’t a fix all, but that didn’t hurt as much as a stubbed toe ... LOL!!

How difficult was the install?

Not too bad. Use the old adage - measure twice, cut once. Started with 1/4” bit and worked my way up to the 1”. Bought 3/4” and 1” bits with 1/2” shanks for this project.

Back