Collapsed fuel bulb- stalling

Sebagobrew

Reaction score
Hey;
My SSX 24 is a 2015 with a 115 Yamaha SHO. Since new it has had issues with a negative vacuum in the fuel line. Opening the Gas cap helps, but clearly the filter and water separator restrict the fuel to the motor. It has been "repaired" 5 times. The boat failed again today and would only run for short sprints while I pumped the collapsed bulb as best I could. Just me, or has anyone else run into this problem?

What was the 5x repair? Did they replace the charcoal canister?

A restricted filter is more likely to choke the motor at higher rpms when it's pulling more gas, but that should subside after the engine shuts off. Is that when it stalls? If your bulb stays collapsed, it's probably something else.

The canister is how the tank breathes, so I'd be looking there if a replacement filter didn't fix it.

Last edited:
I think some negative pressure is normal. When I take my cap off, a good amount of air rushes in. And I don't have stalling problems

Another thing you can try is remove the gas cap completely and run the boat hard. If it doesn't stall, it's not the filter.

A restricted filter would kill the engine whether the cap was on or off.

Hey;
My SSX 24 is a 2015 with a 115 Yamaha SHO. Since new it has had issues with a negative vacuum in the fuel line. Opening the Gas cap helps, but clearly the filter and water separator restrict the fuel to the motor. It has been "repaired" 5 times. The boat failed again today and would only run for short sprints while I pumped the collapsed bulb as best I could. Just me, or has anyone else run into this problem?

I just had this issue on my new 2018 swing back model. It was an easy fix once we figured out the issue. There is a fuel access door on the floor of my swim deck that I can unscrew to get to the top of the gas tank. I followed the main fuel line from the engine to the tank and the issue was the line was being crimped between the gas tank and the bracket securing the tank to the boat. I just simply pulled the hose out and placed it on top of the bracket. Ran the boat at high rpm's for the next hour or so and never had an issue. Just wanted to share.

Those are the kinds of posts with the most value to the forum. Thanks for posting!!!

Back