Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change to Sunbrella

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Change to Aqualon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DaveyJ

Reaction score
So my current mooring cover is rotting away and I've been contemplating changing the color from the accent color (Bronze - Taupe Fabric) to the panel color (Midnight Black) and figured I'd post a poll and get an opinion from the group. Also looking at potentially changing fabric from Surlast to either Sunbrella or Aqualon. Of course, if I change mooring cover color and or fabric, I would feel compelled to change my bimini to match. At the end of the day, the budget may dictate the final plan but it's worth contemplating. Here's a couple of pictures of my boat currently and different 2375's in my color scheme with a black mooring cover & bimini. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
IMG_3861.jpg IMG_7172.jpg IMG_0509.jpg IMG_7171.jpg

Last edited:
I think the black really pops A LOT MORE. Hands down I would switch to that.

If you want a basic and light fabric, with some water resistance, maybe stick with the Surlast...? You could spray and waterproof it. However, on paper and conversation, everyone says the Sunbrella is so much better. I just don’t know if its significantly heavier to deal with and put on. That would be a factor in my mind: is the Sunbrella easy to move around and get set like the Surlast fabric covers? If so, it I think it would be a nice upgrade in Fabric. If its really heavier, and harder to manage, maybe go with the Surlast and spray it down with a waterproofing/UV protectant.

Got quotes on all 3 fabric options to replace the mooring cover, bimini & boot if I change colors and/or fabrics:
All pricing is plus shipping and snap installation -
Surlast - $1,840
Aqualon - $1,795
Sunbrella - $2,760

If I just replace the mooring cover in the current Surlast color, it'll cost me $1,110. But what's the fun in that! :D

If I just replace the mooring cover in the current Surlast color, it'll cost me $1,110. But what's the fun in that! :D

It sounds like you’re just challenging us to help you spend your money!!!! :p

Who is quoting the Bimini Top for you?

Tumacs

I agree with Vikingstaff. Go with black. But then maybe I am biased since I have black panels with black accent strip, black bimini and black mooring cover. :cool: Oh and I wear black sunglasses with black lenses.

I agree that black looks the best, but its also the hottest by far. Black gets so hot that sometime you cant even touch it. I had a black cover on previous Bennington and when we bought the new one I made should we got a lighter color (Med grey). So glad I did its does not get to the point of not being able to touch it. FYI

I agree that black looks the best, but its also the hottest by far. Black gets so hot that sometime you cant even touch it. I had a black cover on previous Bennington and when we bought the new one I made should we got a lighter color (Med grey). So glad I did its does not get to the point of not being able to touch it. FYI
Appreciate the info!

425E3269-53BD-4D2C-8B10-D3148B165C2F.jpeg BC6020B8-F060-4A49-A4D8-1636428857FA.jpeg Got the fabric samples, Sunbrella is definitely the darkest. Gonna get pricing from a couple of local shops just to make sure I’m comfortable with the deal and then pull the trigger. I’m almost out of fabric repair tape (3rd 25’ roll) and I seem to find a new rip every time I touch my cover.

I like the pitch black look of the Sunbrella the best when they are side by side.

Got a quote ($1500 estimate for all and I won’t have to fool with installing snaps) from a local shop for a new mooring cover, bimini, and boot in Harbortime Edge. Have to admit that I’d never heard of it so did some research and feel good about it. 7 year warranty, waterproof, and has a coating that reduces heat gain (link below). The pic is of the other 3 samples on the sample I got from the shop. The fabricator has worked with the previous generation of the fabric which had a 5 year warranty for years and never had a warranty repair. They are a huge shop that typically deals in semi trailer tarps and does boat covers as a side business and they have a great reputation. They had 3 boats in process in their shop and the earliest I can get in is the 2nd week of September. I’m on the schedule for then and will post pics when I get it back.

upload_2019-7-18_17-47-59.jpeg

https://www.trivantage.com/fabric/f...ime-edge-fabric-marine-onyx-60-in-item-775938

I like the pitch black look of the Sunbrella the best when they are side by side.
Agreed but the local quote feels like too good of deal to pass up.

Last edited:
I just dropped my 2013 22SLX tritoon off at a quality boat top shop here in Portland. I am adding a new front bimini frame that I ordered from Bennington dealer for $600 as it is giant to ship. Anyway, they are building me new front top, replacing rear top, 2 storage boots, making both tops 3" longer on sides, adding hidden zippers all the way around edge in case I want side curtains in future. Sunbrella fabric and they are modifying playpen for relief openings for front frame arms. All for $2500 which didn't sound too bad I thought. I am also adding hydraulic steering soon! Uflex hytech 1.0 for $518 from Overtons after 30% sale and free shipping.

The Benny is back from boat upholstery shop! Here are pics of our new front and rear bimini tops. I ordered and installed a new front frame (Bennington OEM ordered through dealer) mounted as far forward as possible before the playpen top rail curves. We had shop lengthen sides 2-3" for more shade and add zippers all the way around for future side curtains. They made it from heavy Sunbrella fabric with a woven linen look as we want cool shade and stayed with a light color. They also added the collars and velcro to old playpen cover (at all new brackets) so tops can be opened up along with playpen all secured. Total cost $2380 which was a great deal I think. The last photo shows the fabric weave colors but iPhone camera added the pink color (not on fabric). If I polished up the 'toons it would look like a new boat. Not all that much changed in looks from 2013 to the latest 2019. Upholstery shop eliminated the fabric triangle at back of rear bimini that just gets caught in frame and tears when folded and makes boat look dated. Very happy!IMG_3409.jpgIMG_3410.jpgIMG_3411.jpgIMG_3412.jpgIMG_3414.jpgIMG_3416.jpgIMG_3417.jpgIMG_3415.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great and seems very well thought out.
Thanks! I appreciate it! I still can't get over how much space there is on these boats and how they ride so nice over big wakes from other boats. Last boat was a mint 1976 Bayliner Saratoga 25' cuddy cabin hardtop (my folks bought brand new) designed for light ocean use with 350 Chev i/o Volvo Penta. We tried to use it as a runabout and pull toys behind. You only have seats for 6 and it is always too warm under dark color hardtop from sun. Only access to bow is to climb through hatch from cuddy cabin. (then itch from fiberglass!) Our 2013 22SLX tri-toon is shorter, lighter to tow, uses half the fuel, and has 3 times the space, seats 11, and doesn't slam bow on surprise bigger waves. Of course it is for fair weather use but we don't go out in crap weather anyway. No hull drain plug to pull, minimal winterizing needed, never need to raise outboard, no ventilation fan to run ahead of starting engine, better visibility, easy trailer loading with pontoon guides I added, etc, etc, etc

Looks great!

Go with the black Sunbrella. Had a mooring/playpen cover made 3 seasons ago. It is a premium fabric that will last. Our canvas guy did an excellent job and it fits like a glove. IMG_20190721_203117540.jpgIMG_20190721_203055698.jpgIMG_20190721_202912021_HDR.jpg

Back