Coming from a Premier PTX

Hi. Just bought a 25SXP swing back. I've seen the pics of the keeper rail but I don't think I like how I'd have to crawl out of the lounge. I wish Bennington would offer an "extension rail" ,in silver and black, that went around the outside perimeter of the deck, not the swing back seat itself. I wonder where in Ohio I could get someone to custom make one? I wonder what attaching that to my deck would do to the warranty?

Welcome Doug! You could contact Bennington directly using the link on their web site and ask them that question.

Welcome Doug! You could contact Bennington directly using the link on their web site and ask them that question.

Along these lines, others post here occasionally that they have had some custom work/modifications done directly by Bennington over the years. Not sure what kind of special costs are involved, but maybe they have something they can work with you on directly from the factory. Never know unless you ask. :)

We have a 22 ssbxp and love the swing back configuration, though how you will use the boat will dictate what you need as a layout. If you go with a swing back, get the keeper rail. It is worth it as it makes it usable while underway.

One of the best decisions that we made was to get the center toon storage. We use it all of the time and it opens up the under seat storage for guests in a big way, and keeps stuff from getting underfoot on the deck.

We have SPS with a Yamaha 150 and it moves and handles very well. The engine is powerful while also being quiet. We have a standards tow bar and use it all of the time. That said, no one ever complained about having too much horsepower. If you want more, get more but be aware that there are minimum requirements on the hull (ESP vs SPS) and size of the boat. The 22 foot that I needed due to the size of my dock, the waters, etc matches very well with the 150 and SPS. You should test drive once you know what length you want to decide, if possible.

The SS series includes a lot of options. Our budget allowed for a "higher" trim level, but I think that Bennington provides a sold product in every trim line. Our trim cam with extended decks, and I wouldn't do without them. We didn't get an elevated helm, and that is one option that I probably would add if I ordered it again. Not a huge deal, but nice to have.

We got the changing room option and have not used it yet. It is out of the way in the swing back configuration so not a big deal on space, especially with the center toon storage.
We have same boat and Yamaha motor. Performance is great. By doing this trim I have plenty of options such as rgb lighting and gps speed. Added lighted Kicker sub to factory upgraded stereo. Would not change anything.

Well, after hitting the boat show and pricing out several Benningtons, here's my issue, Budget.

Current boat, Premier Solaris 240RF PTX with 200hp Mercury is perfectly fine and still a sweet boat. Only reason for looking at a new boat is the carpet floor with kids and dog gets to be a chore to keep clean and the seating layout.

To get into a Bennington which we like isn't a cheap build. I'd like a 250 for the motor but that bumps us into the SPS+ and requires some additional options.

So my question for you,
23SS Swingback, dual captain chairs with the SPS and a Yamaha 200 (with all options we want its sitting around $58k)
Or
23SS Swingback, dual captain chairs with the SPS+ and a Yamaha SHO 250 (best deal is $69k-$73k)
Or
Keep our 2012 boat and continue boating on, warranty ends this year and owe about $25k.

Who has an SPS with a 200 and Who has the SPS+ with a 250?

Feel free to message me.

Thanks

I under powered mine and regretted it ever since . Currently considering another Bennington ,with the SPS + ,but have some other things going on .When it does happen ,and it will .It will be an SPS + with a 250

We have a 2017 24’ SSBXP SPS 200hp Mercury Verado. Our 200hp gives us PLENTY of power.!!!

It has great hole shot! It has a very nice power range! WOT is a very solid 42-43 mph with a lighter load, and still at 38 mph if really loaded up with people and fuel.

Since NO ONE but me really likes being at WOT, the upper end mph is pretty much a non-issue.

I truly believe this or I wouldn’t say it: If the 23SS Swingback with the 200 fits in your budget, I really think you will be thrilled with it. I really don’t think the $11-15k jump in price is worth the extra 50hp. Just not justifiable given the minor increases you will see in speed/hole shot. Even under load, the 200hp really delivers.

For that kind of price difference, I wouldn’t do it even if budget was not an issue.

When we put in our order, they had just come out with the SPS+ and the 250hp option on the S-series. We were in the same situation as you. We didn’t go for the SPS+/250, and we stuck with the SPS/200hp Mercury. We have NO regrets!

Did you also talk to New Hope Marine in Gastonia?

I have a 24sslx with SPS and a F200. Love it. Has all the power I need, handles like a dream. Come down to FL and I'll let you water test mine. Granted more HP would always be nice but you reach a point where these things hit their terminal velocity.

Well, after hitting the boat show and pricing out several Benningtons, here's my issue, Budget.

Current boat, Premier Solaris 240RF PTX with 200hp Mercury is perfectly fine and still a sweet boat. Only reason for looking at a new boat is the carpet floor with kids and dog gets to be a chore to keep clean and the seating layout.

To get into a Bennington which we like isn't a cheap build. I'd like a 250 for the motor but that bumps us into the SPS+ and requires some additional options.

So my question for you,
23SS Swingback, dual captain chairs with the SPS and a Yamaha 200 (with all options we want its sitting around $58k)
Or
23SS Swingback, dual captain chairs with the SPS+ and a Yamaha SHO 250 (best deal is $69k-$73k)
Or
Keep our 2012 boat and continue boating on, warranty ends this year and owe about $25k.

Feel free to message me.

Thanks
Agree with Vikingstaff and feel the added money is not worth the return. We have a 2018 SSBXP 22 SPS with 150hp. I get 38 on standard load and 40 with empty load. Very rare that we use upper end. What surprised me is how easy it pulled me up on slalom ski vs a 23’ Formula with 454 magnum we had before. No I can’t run top speed like I did but hole shot is better. Swing back is such a great design. Good luck!

I posted recently that I purchased a SPX 25 foot Fastback at the Louisville Boat Show. I asked for a price on that boat with an ESP and 250 Yamaha. I had forgotten that you can't order that. The Bennington rep was there and said he would over-ride it for my build and he did. Just an FYI that I guess can get it as a "custom". I think it was about $1,200 more than the SPS+ platform.

The Dealer I purchased our Premier from in NH is now Bennington dealer. Said you can order the SPS+ with an exchange to the ESP center toon. Some dealers say you can’t but it is an option.

Still undecided and need to sell our boat before we commit.

This site is very helpful. Thanks

So my question for you,
Or
Or

Feel free to message me.

Thanks
If your main reason for looking at another boat is the carpet I can help you with that until you find your Bennington. I use Starbrite waterproofing spray on my carpet. The same product I use on my playpen cover. I spray the entire carpeted floor and let it dry. Once you do that ANY liquid beads up and runs off like a newly waxed car. Your floor stays dry and clean. The kids can't get it dirty. Nothing sticks to it.

It looks like Bennington has released a new ski tow option for the SPS plus. This prevents the need to do the turbo swing on SPS plus. It looks much better than the old tow bar but interesting that it includes a sticker for 500lbs max and for waterskiing only.IMG_20190208_173723.jpg IMG_20190208_173713.jpg

It looks much better than the old tow bar but interesting that it includes a sticker for 500lbs max and for waterskiing only.View attachment 24145 View attachment 24146

I agree - looks much nicer than the old style ski/tow bar. As fro the warning sticker, that is true of all normal ski/tow bars (including the old ones). They are not rated for anything beyond water skiing, even though everyone uses them for towing tubes as well. That is the only reason we paid up to go with the Turbo Swing - rated for both water skiiing, tubing, and all other water sports.

We have a 2017 24’ SSBXP SPS 200hp Mercury Verado. Our 200hp gives us PLENTY of power.!!!

It has great hole shot! It has a very nice power range! WOT is a very solid 42-43 mph with a lighter load, and still at 38 mph if really loaded up with people and fuel.

Since NO ONE but me really likes being at WOT, the upper end mph is pretty much a non-issue.

I truly believe this or I wouldn’t say it: If the 23SS Swingback with the 200 fits in your budget, I really think you will be thrilled with it. I really don’t think the $11-15k jump in price is worth the extra 50hp. Just not justifiable given the minor increases you will see in speed/hole shot. Even under load, the 200hp really delivers.

For that kind of price difference, I wouldn’t do it even if budget was not an issue.

When we put in our order, they had just come out with the SPS+ and the 250hp option on the S-series. We were in the same situation as you. We didn’t go for the SPS+/250, and we stuck with the SPS/200hp Mercury. We have NO regrets!

Expecting my new built 23SSBXP in April. Agree with everything said. At he end of the day it’s all about trade off when it comes to budget and priorities.. Speed cost lots of $$$ even for 2-3 mph. So agree with WOT.
Being a pilot I have the need for speed. I also understand my wife and passengers don’t have the same need for speed that I have when it comes to comfort. Faster you go on the water the more uncomfortable it can get with a drink in hand. Speeds above 30-35mph like a motor bike requires different clothing for the weather and a helmet with visor might be approiate when speeds reach 50mph or more.
My trade off was to go with a 175 VMAX SHO over a 200 HP Yahama to get the power assist hydraulic steering for about the same price while taking advantage of the 6 year warranty boat show special.. I, like my passengers, settled for comfort as a priority over speed considering how I would be using my platoon. Fully understanding that if tournament fishing was going to be a priority I needed speed off the line to the fasest fishing hole on a small lake. Totally different speeds if you are going to be in salt water off shore. Question? How does a stereo sound at 50 mph or greater on water. Do you need head phones? lol

Expecting my new built 23SSBXP in April. Agree with everything said. At he end of the day it’s all about trade off when it comes to budget and priorities.. Speed cost lots of $$$ even for 2-3 mph. So agree with WOT.
Being a pilot I have the need for speed. I also understand my wife and passengers don’t have the same need for speed that I have when it comes to comfort. Faster you go on the water the more uncomfortable it can get with a drink in hand. Speeds above 30-35mph like a motor bike requires different clothing for the weather and a helmet with visor might be approiate when speeds reach 50mph or more.
My trade off was to go with a 175 VMAX SHO over a 200 HP Yahama to get the power assist hydraulic steering for about the same price while taking advantage of the 6 year warranty boat show special.. I, like my passengers, settled for comfort as a priority over speed considering how I would be using my platoon. Fully understanding that if tournament fishing was going to be a priority I needed speed off the line to the fasest fishing hole on a small lake. Totally different speeds if you are going to be in salt water off shore. Question? How does a stereo sound at 50 mph or greater on water. Do you need head phones? lol

Oh, one more thing. I still have the need for speed. A jet ski and Master Craft. Even at that the speed rarely exceeds 50 mph. The Bennington is more to load up family,grandkids and friends for a trip across the lake to eat. Other times it is best for lounging around at our dock. Turn up the music lay out on the lounge and swim. Priority goes to the ladder and music and a place to hang out! Lake life is great, and the Bennington play-toon just makes the day.

I agree - looks much nicer than the old style ski/tow bar. As fro the warning sticker, that is true of all normal ski/tow bars (including the old ones). They are not rated for anything beyond water skiing, even though everyone uses them for towing tubes as well. That is the only reason we paid up to go with the Turbo Swing - rated for both water skiiing, tubing, and all other water sports.[/QUOTEhll

Nice looking ski tow bar. Looks very substantial. First time for me to hear of a Turbo Swing. Building our boat the 2019 book of boats to my knowledge did not list a Turbo Swing among the 5 options on page 80. What is this Turbo Swing you speak of? Is it a Ski Pylon? Where can I learn more about the specications ,recommended uses advantages/disadvantages and price. The new delux Ski bar shown here is very costly.

The turbo swings are extremely high priced too. Not an economical item by any means. That’s why most go with a traditional tow bar instead. Here is the manufacturer direct website for more information:

https://turboswing.com/

We like ours, and I like that from a liability perspective it is rated for all water sports towing options. However, it’s still a hard cost to justify vs. a normal tow bar. Since we planned (and spend a lot of time doing) tubing on our lake, we justified the price premium given our intended boating use.

Pros: Rated for all water sports, including tubing (+ on liability and durability); and it extends out from the motor frame/supports (so it does not take up ANY room on your aft deck), and the tow rope is behind the motor on the turbo swing so there is absolutely no chance of rubbing your motor cowl/cover with your tow rope.

Cons: Price, price, price.

Back