Comparing boats

Boomers dad

Reaction score
This past weekend I went to Cabelas with my BIL to pick up a couple of rods holders for my boat. While there we went into the boating center to look at there boats. I was looking over the Lowes Suncruiser. I think it was the Quantum probably there top of line. The floor plan was very similar to the SSL. From about 50' away it looked like a nice boat. As I got closer the first thing I noticed was the welds on the rails. They were terrible, lots of slag and they were black and blue looked just awful. Then I pointed out to my BIL the thickness of the alum used to make the motor pod. There is no way I would want to hang a big outboard on there. I really believe the first time you struck something in the water you could easily twist or break the pod. Then I reached up and shook the bimini.The whole side panel moved with it :eek: . At that point I couldn't help it I started to laugh. I didn't even want to look under the boat I was afraid of what I might find.

I've always thought of the Suncruisers as a low end boat but I went and looked at the price. It was 40K :eek: I just couldn't believe it. Why would anyone in there right mind buy one of them for 40,000. I was just floored.

I have to admit that as I left I felt very good knowing that I own a Bennington. :D

Before Brenda and I where even considering a pontoon, we were at the Kansas City boat show a few years ago looking at pontoons with a couple we boat and camp with. As we looked at the many brands there, it was obvious who built the better toons. When the day came to consider buying one, we thought of that boat show, and knew which brand to go with. As an old t-v add used to say 'the quality goes in before the name goes on'. We have absolutly no regrets on our choice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boomers Dad - Have had the same experience as you. There is a Cabelas about 5 miles from my house and a Bass Pro about 12 miles away and that experience is the same at both. And for that price at Cabelas it probably included a 40 or 50 hp motor! But I guess they get a lot of shopper traffic and make it convenient one stop financing, etc.

It is gratifying when reading comments on other forums that Benningtons are universally considered one of the top 3 or 4 brands (along with Manitou, Premier and maybe Avalon/Tahoe). I was at a boat show and almost put a downpayment on a South Bay; was standing behind the captains chair talking to the salesperson and barely leaned my weight against the back of the seat and felt the internal seat frame hard against my thigh - I instantly thought "thats seems pretty flimsy and cheap" and decided to walk away. It is amazing how many things you notice on other brands (like your bimini frame observation), that are definitely better on Benningtons (hinges on seat tops, furniture padding, crossmembers, etc.)

However, so that Team Bennington doesn't get too much of a swollen ego, I think Bennington could benefit by making an effort to "re-engineer/design" the front bimini :rolleyes: The material and framing are okay, but there has to be a better way to operate it and trailer with it. Realize that most owners probably do not have one, but for those that do, they are essential in the heat/sun environments they boat in. :)

This past weekend I went to Cabelas with my BIL to pick up a couple of rods holders for my boat. While there we went into the boating center to look at there boats. I was looking over the Lowes Suncruiser. I think it was the Quantum probably there top of line. The floor plan was very similar to the SSL. From about 50' away it looked like a nice boat. As I got closer the first thing I noticed was the welds on the rails. They were terrible, lots of slag and they were black and blue looked just awful. Then I pointed out to my BIL the thickness of the alum used to make the motor pod. There is no way I would want to hang a big outboard on there. I really believe the first time you struck something in the water you could easily twist or break the pod. Then I reached up and shook the bimini.The whole side panel moved with it :eek: . At that point I couldn't help it I started to laugh. I didn't even want to look under the boat I was afraid of what I might find.

I've always thought of the Suncruisers as a low end boat but I went and looked at the price. It was 40K :eek: I just couldn't believe it. Why would anyone in there right mind buy one of them for 40,000. I was just floored.

I have to admit that as I left I felt very good knowing that I own a Bennington. :D
I know what you are all saying.I have been to both of these stores and view the pontoons. Spoke with the sales person and they act like your buying a fine quality machine and they act like your getting a great deal. I sat on a fishing chair on a Bass Tracker pontoon. Geez the support pole was about a 1 inch tube what wiggled more than Jello.

I asked the sales person to sit on it and he did. I said kind of wiggles doesn't it. I was told it is designed that way so it does not break it needs to have some give. I told him then you buy it and I will buy a Bennington. My question is why do people buy that stuff? It's Junk.....What ever your pocket limit is 25, 40, 50,000 or more their are much better brands for the same money. Even if you do not buy a Bennington. A better boat can be found than Tracker or Lowe.

Last edited by a moderator:
How true. A year ago when I was shopping for my first 'toon, I did a small amount of research and found Bennington was the name to get. Fortunately for me, I have a dealer 35 miles from me and

got a good deal on an "end of season" 22SFi. Haven't looked back since. If and when I upgrade, it will be a pre-order with the same dealer. He has looked out for me on one occasion when I took out the prop

shaft on the 30th of June. I had my boat back for the 4th of july holiday weekend. Priceless.

Boomers Dad - Have had the same experience as you. There is a Cabelas about 5 miles from my house and a Bass Pro about 12 miles away and that experience is the same at both. And for that price at Cabelas it probably included a 40 or 50 hp motor! But I guess they get a lot of shopper traffic and make it convenient one stop financing, etc.

It is gratifying when reading comments on other forums that Benningtons are universally considered one of the top 3 or 4 brands (along with Manitou, Premier and maybe Avalon/Tahoe). I was at a boat show and almost put a downpayment on a South Bay; was standing behind the captains chair talking to the salesperson and barely leaned my weight against the back of the seat and felt the internal seat frame hard against my thigh - I instantly thought "thats seems pretty flimsy and cheap" and decided to walk away. It is amazing how many things you notice on other brands (like your bimini frame observation), that are definitely better on Benningtons (hinges on seat tops, furniture padding, crossmembers, etc.)

However, so that Team Bennington doesn't get too much of a swollen ego, I think Bennington could benefit by making an effort to "re-engineer/design" the front bimini :rolleyes: The material and framing are okay, but there has to be a better way to operate it and trailer with it. Realize that most owners probably do not have one, but for those that do, they are essential in the heat/sun environments they boat in. :)
Hi Dad, we're listening! The 2012 bimini center frame connections attach with new "fast action" connectors. (single AND double bimini) :D

I was at a boat show and almost put a downpayment on a South Bay; was standing behind the captains chair talking to the salesperson and barely leaned my weight against the back of the seat and felt the internal seat frame hard against my thigh - I instantly thought "thats seems pretty flimsy and cheap" and decided to walk away. It is amazing how many things you notice on other brands (like your bimini frame observation), that are definitely better on Benningtons (hinges on seat tops, furniture padding, crossmembers, etc.)
Flimsy side fences is what steered me from South Bay and over to Bennies!

Flimsy side fences is what steered me from South Bay and over to Bennies!
Yes I noticed that. We went to the Boat Show this past January in Minniapolis, MN prepared to buy a South Bay.

We seen the upper crust models of South Bay but nothing in the $20,000ish range until the boat show. We thought we were on the right track with South Bay. Until we seen what South Bay had to offer for what we were willing to spend.

However, Bennington was right at the entrance door when we walked in. So just for kicks my wife and I wanted to see what we thought we could not afford regarding our pontoon needs. We alway's loved Bennington Pontoons but had the perception that Bennington was priced out of our needs catagory. Surprize surprize we went home with an order for a custom build 2011 20SLi. With the first season quickly coming to an end we are still just as sold on our Bennington as the day we placed our order. Our custom built 20 SLi fit's our need's perfectly. We really do not need anything more than what we purchased. We are also convinced that we could have spent the same dollars on any other brand and went home with a lesser quality pontoon boat. Having extreme confidence in the Bennington brand we were willing to purchase from a dealer in another state along with being 2 1/2 hours from our cabin. Now thats brand confidence. I wish I could say the same for the salesman but that's not Benningtons fault.

We are the only Bennington on our lake. Mostly it's Sweetwater followed by the normal suspects Tracker, Premier, Misty Harbor, Northwood, Crestliner, etc.

My wife and I laugh on the inside when our neighbors say " You just had to out do us with a Bennington" "Must be nice to be able to spend $32,000 on a Bennington in this economy." " It's a beauty". I guess I am not the only one with this perception. I just smile and thank them. If they new what we paid, they would never beleive us. We are just so happy and proud of our Bennington.

I wish I could say the same thing for the salesman. But he just lost a sale he does not even know he had a chance for. A friend of mine wants me to go along with them to the 2012 Boat Show in Minneapolis to buy a 20 SLi. Guess who is not going to get the order. Dropping the ball and not following through has a penalty that will be paid!

My beef is not with the dealer...

Hey Loonymoose, I had the same perception.

On my way home from viewing the remains of my last boat ( destroyed in a storage fire ) I stopped at a boat dealer that I knew carried Benningtons. I remember walking in and telling the salesmen that I sure liked the Benningtons but they were way out of my price range. He then proceeded in giving me a quote on a RCW with a 250 and I was floored, it was alot less than I would have guessed. I then went to the KC boat show and crawled in and under every boat there, Southbay, Manitou, Harris, Berkshire, G3, Avalon, Bently and a couple others I don't remember. The more I looked the more I was convinced that I wanted the Benny. In the end I bought the FSi with a 150 not the RCW with a 250. The floorplan fit my boating needs perfectly. Nothing like fishing in luxury ;)

I too was not exactly happy with the salesman :angry: but I am happy with Bennington :D

WE bought our first Bennington about this time in 06, it was the first 07 model the dealer had received. This was our first boat after moving to the lake 9we had plenty of Jet ski experience though. After starting at the bottom end of the used market we worked our way up until we saw the Bennington and were pretty much sold as soon as we saw our 1850GL with SS package. After seeing the R/GCW floor plans we were in love! I spent about the past year looking at every other brand available in our area. I think Manitou and Premiere were very close but the differences were enough to make us stick with Bennington. I really like the SHP package that Manitou offers as well as their X-Plode package, but it just wasnt built / finished to the same level as Bennington. The quality combined with Bennington and our dealers commitment to their customers are enough to make me a Bennington customer for life. I have a great salesman, so Im lucky. And hopefully we will be taking delivery of our custom orders 2012 GCW late this week.

I am 'resurrecting' this thread that is almost 2 years old to see if all of you still feel the same way, or others of you who haven't commented. My take is this:

I compared South Bay, Aqua Patio, Tracker (Sun Tracker), Premier, Crest and Bennington. I narrowed it down to Premier and Bennington. Studied and googled and asked and tried to find any scrap of info. My research kept coming up with Bennington being one of, if not the, best. I went to the Premier dealer and the prices were super high. I went to the Bennington dealer and their prices were outstanding, and I got a break for ordering a 2013 in late 2012.

One last note: some little things that really swayed me towards my Bennie: quality of welds; X frame; deck fastener; warranty.

Just my 2013 two cents worth.

Totally agree with all of your comments. We have had mostly family runabouts over the past twenty years and decided to look at pontoons last fall. We looked at some used boats and decided we didnt want someone elses problem child . Then we looked at South Bay, Tracker, Lowes and Premier. We ended up ordering a 2275 RCW Bennington with a 115 Honda and paid more than we were orriginally budgeting for. We took delivery on 12/22/2013 and have been able to take it out a couple of days where it was warm enough [ 60 to 70 degrees in California.] Prior to our purchase, We were impressed with the Bennington quality, and the comments on this forum have solidified our decision to spend more for the quality of Bennington. I was even more impressed with the performance and ride of the TOON , even in rough water. This IS our last boat purchase and I believe we made a great choice. Looking forward to many years of creating family memories! Thanks for the forum !! Skihuey

OMG! Skihuey2183 is from the future!!! Haha just bugging, if I didn't do it, someone else would have!

We do tend to have a liitle better weather than most this time of year in california. We moved here from Spokane WAsh, so we are very familiar with the limited use issues.

OMG! Skihuey2183 is from the future!!! Haha just bugging, if I didn't do it, someone else would have!
Funny Derrick! That reminded me of this little speed device, which was posted here a year and a half ago by Eric. Hey Skihuey, do they have these in 2183???

aotd-flux-capacitor-ipad-iphone-4.jpg

We fell in love with our 2275GCW in January 2012 at the Portland Boat Show. We originally intended on buying a Sylvan 8522 with RPT tubes and a Yamaha 150. I was absolutely certain that it was the bomb. (For $42k, mind you)

And then we walked by the Benningtons. It was sort of like walking past Jessica Biel in a swimsuit. You had to stop and stare. We looked for a few hours and ordered one right there for the awesome guys at River City Boats. Once we left their area, we walked past a pontoon brand called Bentley. Let me tell you, their name is no indication of the quality. It may have been the worst quality boat in the whole show. Sheet metal fences and frames that looked like the were painted with aerosol cans! I'm guessing the were put their by Bennington to make their boats look like shining stars. ;)

I took my wife to the Nashville Boat Show a year ago, and we were not planning to buy another boat for a year or two. When the lower unit on my 26 year old Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke malfunctioned, we went ahead and bought.

We bought the Bennington 24SSLX with a Yamaha F150. Because my wife said that's what she wanted! 'Nuff said.

We're not sorry.

I am agreement with everyone else. We looked at most of the brands that are mentioned in this conversation, but in addition in my internet research Bentley pontoons came up. They looked good and I couldn't wait to see one, what a disappointment. Like most of the others we looked at the Bentley was inferior in every respect, including warranty. We kept going back to Bennington, because nothing we saw compared to it. In January last year we bought a 2012 2275 GCW with a 150 Yamaha and never looked back. "Oh Wow" pops in my mind every weekend when we walk down to the dock to take it out.

Royo

We haven't taken delivery yet of our new boat but our story mirrors many of the others here. We sold our 97 crest III and were looking to get a newer used pontoon. Based on the high prices we were finding on boats that were still 10 years old, no warranties, who knows what could be wrong, a new Bennington with a 7 year warranty was a no brainer, add in a 6 year warranty on the yamaha and case closed. We vacation at my wifes family cabin and going out on the 2250rl for the last 6 years has really added to our vacation experience. I'm really excited to have one at our lake so others can come over and enjoy it with us. We were at a lift/dock dealer the other day looking into lift ideas when the guy asked what kind of boat. I told him a new Bennington and he just said "Wow, those are nice boats" That sure made my day!

My experience is very similar to the previous posts. The wife and I went to the Milwaukee boat show with the intent of purchasing a Harris, which would have been our 3rd since our last 2 were from Harris. Since this will probably be our last pontoon, I wanted to get it loaded up with all the bells an whistles. We were just about ready to throw down on the new Harris when my wife suggested we go look at the Crest and Bennington's. So I agreed just to humor her, my mind was made up with the new Harris. Did I mention the wife is much smarter than I am? One look at the Bennington and I was sold. Great floor plan, great list of top notch options, and best of all, great overall build quality, and quality of materials. I can't wait for summer to come to the north woods of Wisconsin.

Back