Configuration advice

BKFaison

Reaction score
All,

Preparing to purchase our first pontoon. Just the missus and me and our (2) 70 pound dogs. We live full time on the lake (55000 acres) and the boat will stay in our covered slip year round except for cleaning and service. We mostly just putt around with friends and take an occasional 60 mile round trip to show the lake when we have company. While we're not speed freaks, we would like to be able to get up and go when we're trying to beat a storm home. My inner geek likes the idea of hooking into the Yamaha electronics and displaying engine data/virtual gauges on an NMEA2000 compatible device, but it appears that will have to be aftermarket.  Have the following configuration in mind. Would appreciate hearing any comments/recommendations/voices of experience. Am especially interested in fuel consumption from anyone who has this configuration. Thanks in advance!

22SL/SLX

Regatta Blue/Blue Bimini/Sandstone/No accent/No Graphic/Standard Furniture

Full vinyl floor (dogs and red clay)

Upgraded 'G' captains chair

Extended Bow

Extended Aft deck

SPS

150 Yamaha

Hydraulic steering/tilt

Floor storage

Dual Battery (dealer installed)

3 step ladder

Echo 100

Kicker speaker upgrade

Sony Bluetooth stereo

Half Camper  (for wintertime use)

SS Docking lights

Sharkhide

Ski tow bar

SPS 200 .if only for the thicker tubes 

What lake are you on?  Sounds like a nice boat.

Looks like a great set up, and this sounds like it should suit your needs just fine..

Hey BKFaison,

We have almost the same setup less the extended decks and in floor storage. The fuel economy seems really good if you stay away from WOT full speed blasts. It planes at about 2500RPMs and will run there all day. It is nice to have the extra power when needed and for resale time.

Later,

Marc

How about heavy duty rub rail? I have a dual battery switch on my current boat but looking to install a Blue Sea System Add-a-Battery Kit on the New 22SSX. The one thing I wish I ordered that I didn't was the Chrome Logos.  Nice Build!

You will probably be using about 2-3 gal/hr when running 2000-2500 rpm.  But at WOT, grab your wallet.....about 15 gal/hr.  

Thanks to all who commented!

JackM - The 22 offers only SPS150 unless I misunderstand the configurator. Our slip is only 24' long and I don't want the tail of the boat sticking out in the sun.

cwag911 - On Kerr Lake on NC/VA border. About 60 miles north of Raleigh. ~55000 acres and ~800 miles of shoreline. In the chain of lakes including Smith Mountain in VA,  Gaston in NC/VA, and Roanoke in NC

Beau - Yes, Heavy Duty rub rail is on our list, left it off the post somehow. Thanks for the tip on the BlueStar. Hadn't heard of it before.

Stormie - Thanks for quantifying fuel consumption. At cruise speed it sounds like we'll use 1-2 gallons less per hour than our current V8 SeaRay. Good to hear. If my math is right, and at Marina prices, we'll pay for the Bennington with fuel savings alone after about 4000 hours. ;)

Any one have experience with NMEA setups with the Yamaha engines?

Sorry my mistake .

Thanks to all who commented!

JackM - The 22 offers only SPS150 unless I misunderstand the configurator. Our slip is only 24' long and I don't want the tail of the boat sticking out in the sun.

cwag911 - On Kerr Lake on NC/VA border. About 60 miles north of Raleigh. ~55000 acres and ~800 miles of shoreline. In the chain of lakes including Smith Mountain in VA,  Gaston in NC/VA, and Roanoke in NC

Beau - Yes, Heavy Duty rub rail is on our list, left it off the post somehow. Thanks for the tip on the BlueStar. Hadn't heard of it before.

Stormie - Thanks for quantifying fuel consumption. At cruise speed it sounds like we'll use 1-2 gallons less per hour than our current V8 SeaRay. Good to hear. If my math is right, and at Marina prices, we'll pay for the Bennington with fuel savings alone after about 4000 hours. ;)

Any one have experience with NMEA setups with the Yamaha engines?

I have the 24SSLX with Yamaha F150 and Express Tubes.  I'm seeing 4 to 4.5 mpg at normal cruising speeds.  And 40-41 mph @ 6000-6100 rpm's with the Reliance 15 pitch prop.

You won't be dissatisfied with the way your boat's spec'd out.  I'm especially big on the extended aft deck, especially with the rear facing loungers.

Congrats on the boat. We're waiting on a very similar setup.

Back