Considering Bennington

AndrewG

Reaction score
Hey all. I am narrowing my options down for my first boat, and so far, Bennington is at the top of the list.

My primary use for this pontoon will be cruising Lake Nacimiento in Paso Robles, CA. We have a vacation home there, and that will be the boat's home.

I am looking at a Bennington 24SL, with the standard performance package, and a 115hp or 150hp 4-stroke engine. What are people's experiences with these boats and these engines? I don't plan to pull skiers, but perhaps tubers from time to time. I don't really need to get-up-and-go that much, but it would be nice when I needed/wanted to.

Another option within the Bennington line is the 2274GL, which I also like, but the additional cost makes it tough.

A 24SL with a 150hp is still cheaper than a 2274GL with a 115hp, and the boat is 2' shorter on the G.

Everywhere I read says that a tritoon, even if it's not a performance tuned tritoon package, is the way to go.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

AndrewG

First off welcome to the site and let me just say I'm a newbie as well. I just recently found this site and I've only been a Bennington owner for a year. Simply put be happy you have found this site as it's extremely helpful before or after your purchase.

Second you are definitely doing the right thing by researching. I researched for a year after I made up my mind on Bennington simply because I wasnt sure what I needed, wanted and what I'd be happy with. I also tried keeping the thought of resale in my head only because you never know. My best advice is to talk to as many dealers as possible that way you will see the craftsmanship of the Bennington first hand. Then search for the dealer you feel the most comfortable with. A good price is good but isn't everything especially buying a new boat. I traveled 5 hrs one way and invested a couple trips to my dealer. It was well worth the effort and I'm as happy a year later as the day I picked it up.

As for the options and what you want, one can only make suggestions based on experience. I myself wouldn't go with anything other than a full tritoon and the largest engine you can afford. I chose the 150 simply because my boat stays on a small lake and I'm typically cruising around that 30 MPH mark. If I was in open water a lot I would have.went to a 250 but in my situation it was wasted money. Keeping to punch, you should decide what is best for you, what you want out of your boat and how you want to use it. Best of luck and I and I'm confident you won't be disappointed with a Bennington.

Last edited by a moderator:
As my fellow Kentuckian said, welcome to the forum!

Regarding your question, you will get different responses to tri toon vs. 2 based on your desired uses. For tubing, I would unquestionably go with the tri toon. If you are just cruising, 2 toons will work fine but you'll never have that "get up and go". (Unless you have the elliptical tubes with strakes)

Power that boat with as large a motor as your wallet can afford. The only regret I have with my boat is not doing twin ellipticals with strakes and going with the 150hp. Just because you have the power, doesn't mean you need to use all of it.

Just so you know, those two boats are the same length. Both have ~22 foot deck, ~24 LOA (give or take a few inches). You can look them both up on the Bennington web site. In terms of LOA, the 2274GL is a few inches longer than the 24SSL.

We have the 24SSL, and have no regrets. Only had it out a few times before winter though. We have the 115 HP, express package, with 2 strakes on each of the 3 tubes. We get 35 MPH with 3-4 people and mostly full tank. TB (Bennington factory) told me that the handling would be similar with and without strakes on that set up (since motor ain't too big), but the strakes give you quite a bit more top end speed because it gets up on plane more.

One thing you may want to know, if you don't already, is the 115 HP is hard to steer. Like an old non-power steering car from the 60s or 70s. But the 150 HP would be REALLY a pain without hydraulic steering added to the boat. So, factor in that added cost if you go with a 150.

If your just cruising, I'm sure either motor is fine. Go down the street at 35 MPH and stick your head out the window. Pretty windy. Passengers definitely have to hold their hats on. That's what we get with the 115 HP. If you're not pulling a tube, and you want to save the bucks, the 115 should be plenty. We have the 115 and plan to pull tubes. We haven't done it yet, got too cold too quick. But having been on other boats, 25+ MPH is fun on a tube.

If I was you, I'd go tri-toon, 115, add strakes, and put your savings into hydraulic steering. Or, power steering, which is more.

To add to this, some will say strakes on the outside make cornering/turning less responsive, and I believe that to be 100% true, with the qualifier that at the lower HP range, it's not as noticeable, if at all. I went along with TB who said I wouldn't be able to tell if I had strakes on the outside or not. 150 HP and up, I'm sure you'll start to notice the difference. I recommend the tri-toon for greater stability (people moving around won't pitch the boat as much) and I think someone on this site mentioned resale is better. It will plane better. It's just better...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back