Console cover

Bvibum

Reaction score
I have a 2016 20 SLX.

the full cover is a giant pain, and would like to get a cover for just the steering console.

can anyone give me some direction on where to shop?  Saw some generic "center"console covers on amazon, but I thought I would check here, not wanting to go through the trouble for a custom job, just want something that fits well enough to keep the weather off

thanks!

Welcome to the forum Bvibum......

I understand that it can be a pain to install and remove your cover but you will be happy you took the time to do it in the long run. You spent alot of hard earned money on your Benny. Cover it! Over time that sun will do a lot of damage on the upholstery, flooring, rails, etc. etc. I can't believe the # of boats I see uncovered in marinas around the lake.......

I would check with a local boat cover/upholstery shop and have them make to your liking , They probably will me able to match your same color cover besides that the fabric is probably going to hold up much better 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also not covering upholstery can void the warranty coverage for those items for sun damage/fade/etc... 

It's interesting so see the varying levels of care among all boat owners. I keep mine on a covered lift and still put the full cover on after each use. Our neighbor leaves his bennington tied to a dock with the bimini open and doesn't cover it. Different strokes I guess.

on our old pontoon and we used a small grill cover to cover the console and one for the seat,

worked good and cheap

Mike

My first pontoon was a 2006 Bennington 2250 GL. I had a covered slip and the only time I did not cover it is when I was using it the next day and no rain in the forecast. A few slips a way the same version in the R of mine was purchased at the same time.  These people did not cover there boat often. By the need of the first summer  I considered the non-covered boat to be trashed. The birds and spiders had done a job on it.  Fast forward 10 years and my furniture looks brand new and the carpet had also looked good.  The non-covered Bennington has ripped and rotted seats. Every one of them.  I would not step on that carpet for fear of catching a disease. I would always say to my wife and that is why we cover the boat and spend a minimum of half hour every week wiping down the outside and inside of the boat. I have had my 23 RCW 2 months and I spent an hour beached waxing it on Saturday. It looks great! I am astounded at how many people take don't care of their boats.

A lot of owners do not.  I see I left the don't off inadvertently in my previous post. I just edited that post.  I see expensive and inexpensive just horribly  taken care of. My theory is some people who purchase boats have no idea the work involved to keep a boat up. I really don't think of it as work to cover my boat  or to keep it clean. It is just some thing I take pride in and actually enjoy doing. It is part of the whole boating experience to get to the marina an hour before I go out to clean up the boat. This is just my observations over the last 15 years at the marina's I have been slipped in.

A lot of owners do not.  I see I left the don't off inadvertently in my previous post. I just edited that post.  I see expensive and inexpensive just horribly  taken care of. My theory is some people who purchase boats have no idea the work involved to keep a boat up. I really don't think of it as work to cover my boat  or to keep it clean. It is just some thing I take pride in aand actually enjoy doing. It is part of the whole boating experience to get to the marina an hour before I go out to clean up the boat. This is just my overvations over the last 15 years at the marina's I have been slipped in.

People that buy a boat with the expectation that you just get on it and use it with out cleaning and maintaining it. Should not be owners,then again.Their probably the same people that don't believe that a house needs to be maintained.

Part of the fun of boating is the quite time of cleaning the boat. And of coarse,the beer needed to drink while cleaning. ;)

And let's not forget the compliments of how nice the boat looks! 

I have mine in a covered bay but still put the cover on it. It is a pain that is well worth it. Use the method posted HERE and that makes it a bit easier especially taking it off but it your putting it on with it on a trailer like I do then there is no easy way. It does make it easier though having it rolled up.

Our R we just traded was not left uncovered once that I can recall in the 4 years we owned it. New owners have had it a month and it's been left uncovered a couple times, and when it was covered they only used half the snaps. I see that boat aging quickly now ..... :(  

I wish someone would have bought it that wasn't on our lake if they weren't gonna take care of it. I'm really gonna hate to see that thing deteriorate. 

I wish someone would have bought it that wasn't on our lake if they weren't gonna take care of it. I'm really gonna hate to see that thing deteriorate.

You said it,my wife doesn't understand how I feel about watching people not taking care of nice things such as cars,boats,ect..For that matter,it really bothers me to watch homes that we build just go to hell because the owner does not maintain them. I guess it's an emotional attachment with items that I enjoy being involved in. OH WELL,that's my problem. :angry:

Trust me, I'm in the "business" and know what you mean. I've been in high dollar houses in prestigious developments, and it looked like the people lived in the shantys by the dumps you see on the news. These are very well to do people ...... unbelievable....  :(

Taking care of things is somewhat dependent on how much you love them as when I track beach sand into my Jeep Grande Cherokee I am in no rush to clean it, was just never really into cars, yet I clean my boat every weekend and the upholstery is spotless my 2012 looks like the first day we bought it 

Taking care of things is somewhat dependent on how much you love them as when I track beach sand into my Jeep Grande Cherokee I am in no rush to clean it, was just never really into cars, yet I clean my boat every weekend and the upholstery is spotless my 2012 looks like the first day we bought it

I agree. Prior to installing our pool. The only time I was in the backyard was to mow. Now... I'm outside everynight until at least 10:30, weather permitting. I get up early on the weekends to clean, power wash and make sure everything is in tip top shape. Love my back yard, now.

And when i had the boat in the slip i was there early on weekends cleaning her, and late after the day making sure she was tucked in properly.  The day after the handshake to sell her, i was at the dock putting 303 on the seats and vacuuming. The new "owners" walked up and jokingly asked why i was cleaning their boat. My reply, still my boat and it's time to do a deep clean. Ig in a couple weeks and you have paid for it. I'd be happy to stop by and keep up on the maintenance. I think that's when they realized I was serious that I really did not want to sell her and they got me a check the next day. Sorry... I still miss my boat. :'(

My dad once told me that someone else will always have something newer, better or more expensive, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't take care of what you have. My first car could probably have been considered a "rust bucket", but it was the cleanest car around, rust or no rust.

I've found there is a big difference in what people refer to as "excellent" condition. We looked at a used car last night and the ad and the guy said it was perfect. It only had 26k miles so I didn't have any real hesitations. Got there and the back bumper had a crack, there were door dings in every panel, and the rocker under the passenger door was crushed in from pulling a Bo Duke over a curb. Such a waste of time. Every big ticket item I've sold has been purchased by the first person that comes out to look at it.

Back